Are You A Good Cook Too?

Decorating By woodruffbn Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 6:37pm by cakemanpaul

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 12:56am
post #61 of 107

All this just goes to show, when you have that creative gene, you can use it for A LOT of different things! Baking, cooking, sewing, paintng, drawing, etc!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 1:43am
post #62 of 107

I love to cook as well but I love baking more.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:00am
post #63 of 107

I love anything to do with food; from growing it (including eggs and chickens) all the way to cooking, eating, and figuring out what I can do with the leftovers. I dehydrate much more than I can, but have recently gotten started canning again.
Feeding people has always been a passion of mine.
As a child, I remember standing on chairs stirring pots, and helping string beans and shell peas on the porch with my Aunts and Grandmother.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:56am
post #64 of 107

My mom always tells people I was a better cook than her when I was twelve. I've always cooked, watched cooking shows, and read cookbooks even as a kid.

I remember the first thing I ever made was homemade frosting to put on butter crackers with my Grandma "Goodie".

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:10am
post #65 of 107

You know, I think I've found myself amongst real kindred spirits, since finding CC!!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:56am
post #66 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

You know, I think I've found myself amongst real kindred spirits, since finding CC!!

Agreed icon_smile.gif

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:28am
post #67 of 107

Oh I do cook and bake very well (perfectly according to my friends and family).I hate cooking though ,prefer baking,i always have to come up with excuses why I can't cook for the whole clan.I'm happy to do it for my husband though ( not that I have a choice). The problem is I cant stand heat, that ,you cannot avoid while cooking.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:40am
post #68 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyd4e

I am a horrible cook and HATE to cook. I would say that I do pretty good at baking though, and, obvioulsy enjoy it.

Ah an honest person. icon_biggrin.gif We all consider ourselves good cooks, well most of us. That being said we were taught by people that gave us Salmon croquettes, or more commonly called, hard nasty smelly fish blech.LOLOL.
The other culinary delight of hamburger gravy LOLOL.

Mike

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:14pm
post #69 of 107

My family will gladly tell the story of the night I made shrimp and rice, otherwise known as gruel (as in Charles' Dickens).
I would much rather bake than cook!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #70 of 107

I am a very good cook and baker! I was a good baker first though, as I grew up making cakes and cookies and specialty desserts for my family. I only rarely helped with cooking dinner for everyone.
I started cooking all the time in college, as we had an apartment and no meal plan, so it was either get busy cooking, or eat ramen noodles. My college friends and I actually got into cooking fairly extensively and started collecting cookbooks......I have 167 actual books now, not counting the little cooking "pamphlets" and the 2 boxes of pages printed out off of the internet! My Amazon "wish-list" has another dozen cookbooks on it still.......so funny! I guess my friends and family would all weigh a little less if I was worse at cooking, but oh well. That's why I run! That's the price we pay! icon_smile.gif
I think a lot of how good you are at cooking is just experience, though. Because you need to get to the point where you can use the recipes more as a guideline and let your instincts take over. And you have to accept the fact that if you want to constantly be trying different recipes and such, you will have the occasional total failure. That's OK....that's what pizza delivery is for! icon_lol.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:38pm
post #71 of 107

I actually went to Culinary school to become a Master Chef (big goals), after being around too many male egos (no offense fellas) in the kitchens and seeing the serenity of the bakeshop, I focused more on my minor than my major. Graduated with a dual degree, but stuck to baking. I save all of my cooking skills for dinners with family and friends. I think I'm an awesome cook, but more importantly, my friends and family say I am. (why does it feel so wrong to write that? Can you say humility? icon_biggrin.gif)

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:42pm
post #72 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

And Indy - I can't make pies either!!
The only one I ever make is scratch pumpkin pie - my MIL taught me...from whole pumpkins - you'll never eat canned again! icon_smile.gif

I agree about making pumpkin pie from scratch - yes some people believe that if it came out the can and they added to it, it's scratch (my mom does it this way).
I on the other hand have made it a tradition for Thanksgiving to have real scratch pumpkin pie. My kidos have a pumpkin growing contest for Halloween (to make Jack-o-lanterns) and what ever pumpkins they didn't choose I used to make pumpkin pies. Funny to see pumpkin pie disappear as soon as grace was said at family functions. LOL

edited to add:
I love that everyone here are "into" so many things that I long to do (canning, sewing, quilting etc) my question is how do you have time in the day to do it all? As a single mom of 4 there is only me and finding time to even get dinner on the table some days can be stressful. I think at times, that I should have been a housewife in the 40's not an exec. assit. of the 21st century.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #73 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

edited to add:
I love that everyone here are "into" so many things that I long to do (canning, sewing, quilting etc) my question is how do you have time in the day to do it all? As a single mom of 4 there is only me and finding time to even get dinner on the table some days can be stressful. I think at times, that I should have been a housewife in the 40's not an exec. assit. of the 21st century.

I don't have time to do all of it in one day! I'm sure that nobody's doing everything every day, so don't feel bad. I used to do a lot more of the creative hobbies before kids were in the picture, too.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:39pm
post #74 of 107

I can mostly in the fall, crochet and make rugs in the wintertime while watching TV, dehydrate in the spring and summer, that sort of thing. Even the busiest person can't do all of it all the time.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:43pm
post #75 of 107

I have also said - I would be so happy to be a 1950's housewife! Cooking and cleaning all day! I love it!! When I was laid off in Oct. '06, my dad had to tell me to not cook/bake something everyday.

My cooking flaw? I can cook for 1, 2 or more than 8 people - nothing in between! We had had 7 ppl in the family going up so that's what my mom taught me and now we have 13 just with the original 7, BIL and nephews (only one sister is married.).

Oh, but I can't make a cheesecake for NOTHING!

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:47pm
post #76 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Not to get braggadocious but I LOVE to cook AND bake and I'm pretty darn good at it (from what people tell me).

I still have a lot to learn about decorating, though icon_redface.gif

ditto

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #77 of 107

I'm a really good cook but I don't like to cook that much. My husband has turned into a spoiled pig...if we have burgers for dinner, then they need to be bacon cheeseburgers with carmelized onions on homemade sourdough buns. If we have bean and cheese tacos, the tortillas need to be homemade, I have to make rice to go with it, and lately he's been demanding homemade salsa too...plus he wants a dozen tortillas to take to work too. If I cook a brisket, he wants homemade potato salad and beans to go with it.

I can make just about anything...but my favorite food to eat is anything which I did not have to cook.

For those of you who make pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkins, is there an easy way to peel and chop the pumpkin? I tried it before and it wasn't a pie pumpkin, so maybe that was the problem, but it took several hours. I did end up with a whole stack of ziplock bags of pumpkin in my freezer, enough to make empanadas for the rest of the year.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #78 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower1212

edited to add:

I don't have time to do all of it in one day! I'm sure that nobody's doing everything every day, so don't feel bad. I used to do a lot more of the creative hobbies before kids were in the picture, too.

LOL!! I used to do a LOT more of these things before I found this site! icon_lol.gif Thank God this wasn't around when I was raising my kids, they would have been so neglected! icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:06pm
post #79 of 107

June Cleaver, Margaret Anderson, Donna Stone and Harriet Nelson are my idols. I grew up with a 1950's housewife mother, too!
Okay, you youngsters, do you know who they were?

woodruffbn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:58pm
post #80 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

June Cleaver, Margaret Anderson, Donna Stone and Harriet Nelson are my idols. I grew up with a 1950's housewife mother, too!
Okay, you youngsters, do you know who they were?

LOL!!! I do know Leave it to Beaver, but the others.... icon_confused.gif NO.

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:13pm
post #81 of 107

I really hate cooking. I always said that if I became a multimillionaire one of the first things I would do is hire my family a cook! I'm not a bad cook really, I just don't enjoy it at all. I LOVE to bake though!

cutthecake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #82 of 107

For me, the worst part of cooking is all the complaining. If one kid likes it, the other two HATE it, and vice versa. I used to keep a chart of my middle child's favorite foods and most hated foods because the foods would move from one list to the other in the space of a week.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #83 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

For me, the worst part of cooking is all the complaining. If one kid likes it, the other two HATE it, and vice versa. I used to keep a chart of my middle child's favorite foods and most hated foods because the foods would move from one list to the other in the space of a week.

LOL!! Being the youngest of 8 children my Mom didn't make 8 different dinners every night she made ONE and if any of us complained or didn't like what she made we all knew where the jar of peanut butter and loaf of bread were kept.

I pretty much raised my kids the same way. "Don't tell me you don't like it before you ever even tasted it" that was my rule. Take at least 2 bites of everything, you just may like it. Otherwise...........they knew where the PB was kept. icon_wink.gif

cutthecake Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:36pm
post #84 of 107

There was only one dinner cooked. Sometimes they chose cereal or PBJ over dinner. (Sometimes I did, too!)

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:37pm
post #85 of 107

I am a very good cook. I grew up with a mom that worked and in my generation that was pretty rare but she was a great cook as was my grandmother. I started cooking and baking around 11 years old. I always started supper (that's what we call it in the south. Dinner is on Sunday's after church) before mom got home. I now cook they way she did, hard to give a recipe because somethimes it's a little of this or a little of that. I can tell if the biscuits are going to be good by the feel of the dough as I am making them. I love entertaining and cooking for others. Thanksgiving is a biggie for me. I also love grilling out and having the family over for holidays. My only daughter can't cook or bake water. She was never intersted in learning. My DIL however loves for me to teach her. Her mom was not a good cook and she thought there were a lot of things she didn't like until she tasted mine. LOL. The best compliment I ever got was when my grandmother told me that my chocolate meringue pie was better than hers.

woodruffbn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:12pm
post #86 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_to_decorate

I am a very good cook. I grew up with a mom that worked and in my generation that was pretty rare but she was a great cook as was my grandmother. I started cooking and baking around 11 years old. I always started supper (that's what we call it in the south. Dinner is on Sunday's after church) before mom got home. I now cook they way she did, hard to give a recipe because somethimes it's a little of this or a little of that. I can tell if the biscuits are going to be good by the feel of the dough as I am making them. I love entertaining and cooking for others. Thanksgiving is a biggie for me. I also love grilling out and having the family over for holidays. My only daughter can't cook or bake water. She was never intersted in learning. My DIL however loves for me to teach her. Her mom was not a good cook and she thought there were a lot of things she didn't like until she tasted mine. LOL. The best compliment I ever got was when my grandmother told me that my chocolate meringue pie was better than hers.

LOL!! Yep.. Here in the south, meals are as follows:
Breakfast, dinner, supper. All you 'yankees' don't know about that, huh? icon_lol.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:15pm
post #87 of 107

LOL! Nope, we Yankees eat that meal that comes right before what ya'll might refer to as "Callin' hogs" time (bedtime)...we eat dinner. LOL!

woodruffbn Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:22pm
post #88 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

LOL! Nope, we Yankees eat that meal that comes right before what ya'll might refer to as "Callin' hogs" time (bedtime)...we eat dinner. LOL!

'Scuse me ma'am, but you're 'posed to be on OUR side! You're from TEXAS!! That ain't Yankee territory!!!!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:23pm
post #89 of 107

Yes, in fact, over the past few years I've ventured out of my 8-sided box (all the ethnicities in my family) and taken a culinary tour of working with Mexican, Eastern Indian, and Tex-Mex spices (most recent). I tend to do a fusion with the seasonings I am already familiar with. I've also dabbled in barbecue, not the throw-it-on-the-grill, but authentic, smoker barbecue. I love the stuff, but it takes sooo long to cook through!

It took me a while to figure out all my grandmother's recipes. She took them with her when God called for her, so I was on my own.

I recently bought a book of Malaysian desserts and finger food, which I will experiment with more after the last grad cake and the baby shower cakes are all done for a while.

At present, I'm also making the necessary purchases to go wild with some truffle recipes that were posted in the chocolate thread. I want to get the chocolate transported and into the air conditioning before the weather gets too hot here.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:27pm
post #90 of 107

a lot of people ask me if i'm a good cook, because i'm good at baking. well, that is not always the case. i love to bake and i hate to cook. i'm okay at it...enough to get me by, but i wouldn't build a career around it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%