I Really Want This...help

Business By maryjsgirl Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 11:51am by Moniquea

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:00am
post #1 of 17

Our high-end shopping mall is having a Farmer's Market. The Market actually started the 10th of this month. I contacted the person in charge last week about being their bakery vendor. He said they were still looking for someone to fill this spot.

I really attempted to sell myself.

I brought up how cupcakes are really trendy now. How I would have a very attractive, decorated booth. Everything would be prepackaged with all the info needed per the Board of Health. I even started a website that showcases items I will be offering and info on the Farmer's Markets I will be working and dates I will be there(I am already signed up for another on another day of the week).

Well our last email was on the 18th in which he said "Ill be back in touch with you soon"

I really want this. When do you think would be the appropriate time to contact him again? How long should I wait? What should I say?

I am afraid of coming off too pestering or be judged on my lack of business smarts I guess.

Any input would be great.

16 replies
sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:08am
post #2 of 17

I think it would be a good time to reply now. He's had the weekend and two business days to think it over and consult whoever needs to be consulted, now you need to remind him that you're still interested and not a flake! Its not pushy, you are just ambitious and determined icon_smile.gif

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:32am
post #3 of 17

That sounds like a great opportunity. I would call him and tell him you are just "following up" and how you think this is going to benefit the both of you.

Good luck!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 17

Can you find his office and take a bunch of cupcakes to the office and say that you just wanted to send over a sample?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Can you find his office and take a bunch of cupcakes to the office and say that you just wanted to send over a sample?

Yes yes yes --go in person!

I don't know why he doesn't seal the deal with you--why wait?

Sounds like it might go to someone else.

Be assertive and don't apologize--go for it.

Be pleasant be professional and be assured, be confident, you want it and he's gonna give it to you.

The 18th? Oh for sure, go by even without samples.
(but samples are good~~cookies have a better shelf life)

Don't wait.

No no no, see think of it this way, You're doing him a favor by making it easy for him to get the best person to fill this important spot.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 17

Farmer's Markets are all about the " local". If you really want to shine, send him a proposal that shows how you use local buttermilk and eggs, and your strawberry shortcake cupcakes are made with berries from right down the road. Highlight Farmer's market- type homey products like Zucchini bread ( local squash) and scones. ( Breakfasty bits sell like crazy at our farmers market...be aware of the dangers of icing in the hot sun before you go all cupcake-y)

Be different. Highlight you eco-friendly packcaging. Offer vegan and/or gluten free products. Drop off a basket at his office with a 2 to 3 page marketing package. Include samples.. and don't be afraid to ask " Is there something I could do to get this spot?"

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 17

ABSOLUTELY go in person with samples. Everyone is your friend when you bring samples.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 17

Definitely go w/samples! At my day job we have a no solicitors/peddlers. Well, Jimmy John's came once - didn't do a sales pitch or anything - just asked how many people we have in the office and left a quarter sandwich for everyone. We LOVE Jimmy John's so it was great!

maryjsgirl Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 17

Well the director called me today and said he approved me! He sent me all the information and paperwork via email.

$250 a day! (one day a week)

Holy smokes! icon_surprised.gif

That is a scary number for a Farmer's Market. The other one I am signed up for is only $20 a day, lol.

Just some random thinking....

The venue is in an area with the highest income of the city (around 250,000 population). It is an open air shopping mall and the parking lots are filled to the max in the summers.

I generically calculated all my overhead minus ingredients. I came up with an amount of $164 a day at each location all season to cover rent, packaging, decor, etc. My goal is to make $200 a day at each location (averaged between the two/ $400 a week). Add in a rough guess of 30% for ingredients.

So my guesstimate is that I will have to sell $475 worth of goods each day to reach my profit goal.

Thoughts?

Doable?

Please help!

maryjsgirl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:02am
post #10 of 17

Geez I really messed this one up, lol. But, hey I've been up since three this morning with stomach pains that STILL haven't gone away. icon_cry.gif

The $250 is for the entire season.

thumbs_up.gif

I am so happy to be getting into this spot!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #11 of 17

[quote="maryjsgirl"]
The $250 is for the entire season.

quote]

Oh good! I thought you meant it was $250 a day. I was like that must be an uppity spot. And you are going to have to sell tons and tons of stuff to make any profit. And entire season is much more do-able.

I'm so glad that you got the spot! Go sell all your goodies!! icon_biggrin.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:14am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

^^^^What she said!!! I was thinking that exact thing then saw this post. Nothing says "Hire me - I'm fabulous!" like a batch of super-delicious cupcakes, cookies or a cake!

OK, never mind - just finished reading everything - CONGRATULATIONS!!! Sounds like a great gig! What city in Indiana? Maybe I'll send some of my family there to buy from you. icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #13 of 17

Fort Wayne at Jefferson Pointe. thumbs_up.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:05am
post #14 of 17

Great! I think my niece's fiancee's mom lives in the Fort Wayne area so I'll be sure to let her know. Sometimes my niece and my sister go up there so I'll tell them as well.

Best of luck - sounds like fun!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:18am
post #15 of 17

I mean baked goods really sell well at Farmer's Markets--you should be able to hit that but wow lotta dishes to wash (etc.) huh.

I 'bout fell outa my chair when you said $250--till you said it was for the season.

jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:32am
post #16 of 17

Congrats! Hope you do well! thumbs_up.gif

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:51am
post #17 of 17

That's sooo awesome!!! Best wishes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%