Stylism~How 'stylist' Of You~Way Not Cool.

Decorating By -K8memphis Updated 16 Jun 2009 , 10:01am by JanH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:10pm
post #31 of 83

I'm with you K8memphis! Just let everyone make the kind of cake they want to make. It doesn't mater!

mixinvixen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixinvixen Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 10:13pm
post #32 of 83

way to go, k8! i have a feeling i know the exact thread that set you off, since i felt the same way when it was first posted 2 or 3 days ago...i rolled my eyes and clicked off, because i use both scratch and doctored mixes, and IF MY CAKE IS AT YOUR WEDDING, IT WILL BE DOCTORED WITH PUDDINGS AND CREAMERS AND SOME OTHER THINGS...THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT THE NASTIEST THING YOU'VE EVER PUT IN YOUR MOUTH.

(subtle, huh?)

in fact, just today, i dropped by the jobsite of next week's client to get her final payment...she said one of the ladies up front wanted to speak with me about making cakes for her family...when i walked up to her, she immediately commented that the samples i had brought in last week were the absolute best cake she had ever put in her mouth IN HER LIFE...wanna know what the recipe was? a devils food mix, doctored with kahlua and cinnamon, a couple ozs of appropriately flavored creamer, hershey's syrup, and lots of choc chips...i call it my triple fudge recipe. i topped it with a caramel flavored cream cheese. NASTY???? I THINK NOT.

icon_biggrin.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #33 of 83

OK everyone fess up to us not so "alert" members............what thread was so controversial that it warrants another one of "these" kind of threads?

You see if you don't want anyone to feel bad then perhaps these type of threads shouldn't get started at all. Doesn't it just keep adding "fuel to the fire" or "salt to an open wound"?

sara91, I agree with you SO much! I don't think it's just an Australian thing that some people care more about the "look" then the "taste"...........I feel that way almost everyday and it frustrates the heck out of me.

Here's how I feel......if you're going to spend 10 to 20 hours on a cake... that cake better be the best damned thing I ever tasted. I don't care if it looks flawless, that means nothing to me if it tastes like cardboard.

Mix or scratch whatever your pleasure, just make it delicious, that's my only requirement. If I'm going to eat those calories, they better be worth it
If you look at my photos it won't take you long to see that I put the "eating" before the "seeing" icon_lol.gif I figure that once they taste it, they'll forget about how bad it "looked". hehehehe icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:26am
post #34 of 83

k8 I am with ya.......I have been blodied in several of those "discussions" I don't even read them now to save my own skin.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:48am
post #35 of 83

I guess I missed ALL the drama this week.

Just be proud of what you do and don't worry about it! icon_biggrin.gif

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 12:26pm
post #36 of 83

dkelly, I find it so frustrating, I should stop thinking about it. I have taught cake decorating classes and had numerous students from the most popular cake schools say they found the courses so stressful.

The teachers were so fussy to get everything perfect. It was not about the student enjoying the day and do it their way, the teacher took over and decorated the cake the 'perfect' way.

I think when learning cake decorating it should be about enjoyment and fun, not about achieving perfection.

Beginners spending hours crumb coating or ganching the cake to make it perfect, before the icing goes over the top. Get real!

When I go to a restuarant, I prefer food that looks rustic and natural, not completely over done. I don't want 10 sets of hands touching my food to make it pretty and manipulated. Same goes for cakes.

Anyway that is just my opinion. I am sure there are many who disagree.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:08pm
post #37 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

OK everyone fess up to us not so "alert" members............what thread was so controversial that it warrants another one of "these" kind of threads?

It was a comment in a thread or two--no need for controversy.
No drama. MaryJ'sgirl's can keep the drama llama in park.

Quote:

You see if you don't want anyone to feel bad then perhaps these type of threads shouldn't get started at all. Doesn't it just keep adding "fuel to the fire" or "salt to an open wound"?

Who is hurting here? Feel bad? Not my angle at all.

And no I'm not into not seeing the elephant in the living room. Not into looking the other way when friends might be hurt. Nope.

I think that my continued work on busting this myth is of utmost importance to me. As I've said previously, reading that cookbook author's comments on 'hulking white baroque cakes' and 'insipid cupid pillars' truly stunted my growth as a baker. I (allowed myself to be) was humiliated by someone I had grown to not only admire but wanted to emulate (reading their book). I was devastated. I got over it.

Also as I decorated professionally for shop owners at one place in particular, I was soundly trounced--they said I could not draw on cakes, could not draw fast enough, good enough. Dude, I took an art class at the college to try & get better (help mend my ego-the class didn't help but time did).

Actually I've got story after story. But I'm still going.

For what it's worth, I've faced enough professional opposition that in a careful, logical, pleasant, hopefully funny way, I've made it one of my missions in life to break down these divisive barriers, in baking and decorating.

I've had people come up to me and say how they were at an event and how everyone raved about the cake (that someone else made) and they just laughed to themselves and knew that that cake couldn't hold a candle to mine ---and I gently stop them and say that basically the homeliest cupcake takes worlds more energy and creativeness to make and I always appreciate the incredible effort and passion that goes into it.

There's room for everybody in the great big cake decorating boat of life. I'm all about patching up the leaks, baby. We're all gonna make it safe to the other side. No casualties on my watch.

It's ok if it's not as important to other people. It's that important to me.

edited to say--what's interesting though is that on one hand you want to know where the triggering incident is but you also encourage me to drop the subject. It's of importance to all of us in one way or another.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #38 of 83

I thought of another big one, more recently--which I thought I had rhinocerous hide by now but no, (I allowed) a poison dart to bite me in the butt. Where this big name decorator made a comment to the effect that if you 'taught yourself' and did not have a teacher/mentor you weren't very good. You had bad habits that were ingrained.

Eff tha-at.

I mean if your teacher was good you could learn some good stuff. But if your teacher sucked...hello-o.

I'm incredibly passionate about sugar art. It's been my best buddy and my worst nemesis just like has been the case for most of us.

But the times I got my hand slapped are not the 'nemesis' times. They only spurred me on, (ultimately) made me more determined. My nemesis times are the legality issues.

I apologize for being so introspective--I just wanted to 'splain this to Deb.

And there's 1300 look sees at this thread so it's of interest to someone--

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 2:06pm
post #39 of 83

OK what about the scratchists who are also buketists or canists because they don't have time to make their own icings...? Everybody has something they do great and something they rely on a manufacturer doing great enough to use consistantly. I don't know you didn't ground the flour yourself you didn't grow it either so we all start somewhere. I have had both terrible scratch and boxed cakes. I have also has tremendous scratch and boxed cakes so I don't thing there is a universally right and wronge way. There are many roads that lead to Rome and it would get a little crowded if we all tried to use the same one. Varie-tee is zee spice ov Life!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 3:29pm
post #40 of 83

i just noticed either way we have to vote yes ha ha...

i've been here for over a year, and still can't believe everytime i see a thread "scratch vs mix" popping up now & then. don't they have better issues to discuss..

i'm a scratch baker, but none of my posts, not even one, that i criticized those who bake from mixes. to each his own. we are not robots or clones with the same tastebuds -- we are all unique, aren't we?

as long as the cake gets eaten, no crumbs left, it's fine, i'll say.

sadsmile Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #41 of 83

For the lack of better issues we get batter issues instead.
K8 we are all Batterists of one form or another ain't we now!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:15pm
post #42 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

For the lack of better issues we get batter issues instead.
K8 we are all Batterists of one form or another ain't we now!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:23pm
post #43 of 83

I'm just sitting here thinking that the cake mixinvixen described making last week sounds DELICIOUS! Now I want cake and I really DON'T care how it's made as long as it tastes good!!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:26pm
post #44 of 83

huh?

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 4:46pm
post #45 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

edited to say--what's interesting though is that on one hand you want to know where the triggering incident is but you also encourage me to drop the subject. It's of importance to all of us in one way or another.

Only asked because I've been on this week and for the most part I thought everyone behaved icon_lol.gif

I'm also concerned (cuz I'm human) that you get yourself so worked up about this.

I don't have to tell you that in a community this large there is bound to be a couple of bad eggs that will hurt someone's feelings. For the most part those bad eggs get bored and leave the site and the folks with the passion for this, like us, stay around.

Taste........for anything is very subjective.

Don't we all think our cakes are the absolute best?

Not everyone can bake a scratch cake successfully just like not everyone can bake from a mix successfully....(my MIL for one). BUT as long as we're each successful baking either way, why can't that be enough for everyone?

We can't police everyone on this board who is ignorant enough to say mean or hurtful things about our method of choice.

I truly think these people are in the minority as I haven't witnessed it lately..................and I'm on here a LOT!! Just ask my DH icon_rolleyes.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #46 of 83

Hot damn, now y'all are creating sub-species of cakers. Next we're going to have segre-cake-tion among us. Don't you see that it doesn't matter if it's boxed or scratch, fondant or bc, PSBC or SMBC? We all bleed the same when we use red buttercream. icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #47 of 83

For example, my neice works at a Sam's Club bakery in a far distant city--I've seen her once in 20 years probably--it was so cool--she had me come in and make a rose for her--it was the best time--it could not have been cooler--I'd never in ten thousand years ask her to join me here or any cake board. Nev. er.

Sure she's a big girl (could take 'it') but I ain't asking her.
Who in their right mind would ask a loved one--even if you told 'em in advance what will for certain be said about the alleged crappy sh*tty disgusting low life cakes at the big box stores.

I may be perceived as worked up--but I'm not.

Get my neice on here and somebody start blasting and we'll see some kinda worked up. (I couldn't take it--I'd leave.) That hypothetical contrast will attest to the fact that I ain' t even close to worked up in any of these threads. It's certainly a part time passion of mine and I do like to lob in a few rounds--but I'm cool. Thanks though.

I too think those people are in the minority however there's only a little bit of poison in rat poison too so that does not an argument make.

And yes we do think our cakes are great and when someone disses them in general or specifically especially over a myth and ages old mass hysteria--I'll be there. icon_biggrin.gif

Or here--I think less drama is better--don't you?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #48 of 83

Hey, if I'm a stylist, then soooooo be it. I don't even get this...is this thread seriously all drawn upon the very odd title of the post, which all I see is really a poll, with yes and yes answer...ok, I'm so lost.

So, yeah, I definitely shout it from the rooftop of why I am different and why i have repeat customers whilst others in my area fail to get off the ground.

**Scratch recipe cakes
**Un-packaged fondant
**Scratch fillings, no puddin, no lemon colored with extract piping gel filling here!
**The ability to actually sketch up something new instead of running to the Wilton yearbook for all of my ideas

I could go on.
If I didn't do these things...how would anyone choose me to be their decorator? Why wouldn't they go with cheapo down the street if I didn't promote my business as a step above the rest? Am I supposed to say "oh yeah, hey, so and so is just as good" I would be lying and doing my biz a huge disservice.

And this is a bad thing why?

And of course, my personal attitude about what I do with my business is not to be translated into what anyone else should be doing, in HERE, out there, anywhere. So please, let us not categorize my comments into any type of "hate speech against box mix users, or anything else" Everyone in here is awesome, and should do exactly what they feel they need to do for themselves. Free thinking and action is an awesome thing.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:17pm
post #49 of 83

K8 -

Yeah, I've made negative comments about supermarket cakes. I'm guilty. But it's only because of the taste of them. I have never faulted those who decorate them, since I am aware that they can only work with the tools and supplies they are given.

I've seen the private work of those same decorators here in the CC galleries, and when they do cakes outside the job, the love shows through. Their work is impressive, because their creative juices, stifled at work, are allowed to flow.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #50 of 83

Damn I am lost...ok, K8, did you start this?? I need to go reread. So confused.

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:23pm
post #51 of 83

Yeah...ok, silly me. Yep...I agree. People who really honestly bash others for their style is uncool. It's too bad it continues.

No, I'm not an elitist cake pig....only when it comes to my biz...heh heh, slightly. Gotta be. Not in here, that's for sure.

YIKES! K8..I'm with ya!

sadsmile Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:28pm
post #52 of 83

Dizzy much Jamie? Too many swirls? Darling you are supposed to twirl your turn table and not you around your cakes... icon_wink.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #53 of 83

I normally just avoid threads about box vs. scratch but this one looked interesting.

I do whatever works best. I love to cook and I love to bake. I had 2 grandmothers, one of them baked but, bless her heart, she couldn't cook worth a darn. My other grandmother was a fantastic cook but she really didn't bake much. I like to say that, fortunately for me, I inherited my love of baking and cooking from both of them. icon_biggrin.gif

I LOVE to cook everything from scratch but, there are time and other constraints and I can't always cook the way I want.

I started out baking all of my cakes from scratch but time constraints got in the way when I first started baking.

Now, I'm still experimenting with recipes and would love to bake all of my cakes from scratch because that's what I LOVE to do but sometimes, it just doesn't turn out as well. So I find what works best for me and that's what I do.

I have had people tell me that they only like boxed cakes and don't like scratch. As long as it tastes great, it doesn't really matter to me. Taste is the most important factor. And since I like crafty things, cake decorating is the "icing on the cake" - pun intended. icon_lol.gif

Everyone have a great day and great caking!!!

__Jamie__ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #54 of 83

Yeah...I'm gonna rename myself "I don't read through threads before replying"...hee hee. It's the elevation...not used to it.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 5:46pm
post #55 of 83

Ask my DH where MY birthday cake comes from every year........my local grocery store "Stop and Shop". I request it.............I know I'll get stoned by some of you for this, but hey I like their cakes.

I'll admit that my feelings were hurt by some things people were saying about scratch bakers..........ironically, some of the things you k8 said about scratch baking/bakers were also hurtful to me.

But, I'm a big girl and I've gotten over it. I can't control what others think or say and I'm certainly not going to let some people's (generic people) narrow mindedness bother me again.

I'm proud of what I do and I hope everyone else feels the same way. Being proud of our abilities and accomplishments is not a bad thing.........rubbing someone's face in it is not so cool.

"the meek shall prosper" are words to live by..................... icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 6:25pm
post #56 of 83
Quote:

Ask my DH where MY birthday cake comes from every year........my local grocery store "Stop and Shop". I request it.............I know I'll get stoned by some of you for this, but hey I like their cakes.

I do too! I think Costco & Sam's & my local grocery stores make great cakes--shoot me.

Quote:

I'll admit that my feelings were hurt by some things people were saying about scratch bakers..........ironically, some of the things you k8 said about scratch baking/bakers were also hurtful to me.

But, I'm a big girl and I've gotten over it.

I know and I am really really sorry and I hated that that happened.

Deb_ Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 7:04pm
post #57 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

I know and I am really really sorry and I hated that that happened.

No worries at all cake buddy!! Thanks icon_wink.gif

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 10:06pm
post #58 of 83

I dont think any comments in this thread are putting down scratch bakers. Its putting down the attitude that some people have that their product is superior and anything else is crap. That attitude is fine. If that is what you think, keep it in your own head. Its just hurtful, and quite snobbish, to put someone down for the techniques they use.

This is a fun site. There are novices and professionals. I like that I can help some people just beginning to decorate. I have the utmost respect for all of you. And why not? I would not want to be treated in such a way, so I will never treat anyone else that way.

All of your comments are so right on, though. So we really all agree we just want to be treated kindly, and who doesnt?

As far as grocery store cakes, some are bad, and some are good! I work at a bakery that is known in my area to produce the BEST cakes out of any of its competition. And its true. It is really good. I mean, WASC is better, lol, but if someone put me down for working at a grocery store I would feel horrible because I am really proud of my bakery and the work that I do there.

I am glad this thread got started. I dont think it is adding fuel to the fire, but more of an attempt to extinguish the flame that has, apparently, been around for quite some time.

Kudos to the non-snobs!

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 3:32am
post #59 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE62108

I dont think any comments in this thread are putting down scratch bakers. Its putting down the attitude that some people have that their product is superior and anything else is crap. That attitude is fine. If that is what you think, keep it in your own head. Its just hurtful, and quite snobbish, to put someone down for the techniques they use.

This is a fun site. There are novices and professionals. I like that I can help some people just beginning to decorate. I have the utmost respect for all of you. And why not? I would not want to be treated in such a way, so I will never treat anyone else that way.

All of your comments are so right on, though. So we really all agree we just want to be treated kindly, and who doesnt?

As far as grocery store cakes, some are bad, and some are good! I work at a bakery that is known in my area to produce the BEST cakes out of any of its competition. And its true. It is really good. I mean, WASC is better, lol, but if someone put me down for working at a grocery store I would feel horrible because I am really proud of my bakery and the work that I do there.

I am glad this thread got started. I dont think it is adding fuel to the fire, but more of an attempt to extinguish the flame that has, apparently, been around for quite some time.

Kudos to the non-snobs!

Yeah!!! Kudos to the non-cakeists, the non-fondamentalists and the non-royalists....

<--- I am using the new terms. We got bored....

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 14 Jun 2009 , 5:41am
post #60 of 83

Could I just point out how very lucky you all are if that is the worst problems you have .........who the heck cares, if its good cake...eat it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%