Need Help With This Idea

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm by bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

If you find figures to make molds with, not sure if it would even work in this case, its worked with smaller things and things with maybe less detail but ive taken a hunk of gumpaste, pressed a piece into it ,removed the piece, let it dry and you have a food safe gumpaste mold

That's a great idea but I can't find the figures to mold with. icon_cry.gif I'm going to have to check the garden aisles at Hobby lobby like someone suggested. I just can't justify the $$$ that Jasperware goes for just to make a mold. icon_confused.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #32 of 57

lol.. i agree..the problem is not the silicone mold..is finding the figures..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:51am
post #33 of 57

Try looking at springerle molds - Martha Stewart has a thing on her website using them to make jasperware-like ornaments, not sure if you will get the design you are looking for but they definitely look like they would work.

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:57am
post #34 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

lol.. i agree..the problem is not the silicone mold..is finding the figures..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

I know, bummer, I tried searching around the internet too for her, no luck of course

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 1:01am
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I am wondering if anyone knows either where I can get molds that look like the greco-roman maidens in flowing robes which are so popular in Jasperware or how can I make these figures? If anyone has Kate Manchester's book "The Perfect Wedding Cake" there's a picture of a cake in the style I'm thinking of on page 32. I'm also attaching another cake by the same artist (Cheryl Kleinman) who did these figures (I'm thinking out of marzipan or fondant.) But my afternoon searching the internet has come up with nothing! icon_cry.gif Soooo, if any of y'all can help me I'd be most grateful. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm trying to help...trying to find them for ya.
here is what I found on cc
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1180064.html
perhaps you can email /private message the person who made and posted that cake, where they got the mold from icon_confused.gif
perhaps they can sell it to you icon_lol.gif
good luck!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 2:00am
post #36 of 57

Not much help here, but I will keep my eye out for something that is similar when I am out!

(and you can get the silicone stuff at www.makeyourownmolds.com - you may even want to call him, he may have something that would work - really nice folks there - he did a lot of demo stuff with cameos - so he MAY have something that would work for you??)

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 11:47am
post #37 of 57

Oh you guys are great! icon_biggrin.gif

Honeycakes, the figures on that cake you posted are made from a foam mold by elegantlacemolds.com (#724) http://www.elegantlacemolds.com/molds.php?type=7&set=2 Ive already spoken with them and they told me that mold was hand carved and doesnt have the detail Im looking for. They also tried to do the dancing ladies motif that Edna posted but they had problems with it.

Does anyone have Kate Manchesters book the perfect wedding cake? Cheryl Kleinman has another Jasperware cake on it with other figures too (page 32) again they look like molds because its too detailed for cutting out of fondant and shaping with tools. So Im thinking she used a mold but she doesnt have a website where I can write her. (I would try to scan that picture but Im not sure it would come through.) Not to mention that everything Ive read on Jasperware said those figures were added to unglazed pottery from molds! So you would think even in the pottery world that someone would have used Jasperware as a model for their own pottery using molds! Wouldnt you think? icon_confused.gif

Oh well, off to continue searching the internet icon_rolleyes.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #38 of 57

Hey look what I found: A blog entry with the actual molds that Wedgewood uses in their Jasperware!!! Now if we can just get them to produce the molds for cake people... icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif http://www.themarthablog.com/2008/06/come-see-where-beautiful-wedgwood-pottery-is-made.html

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #39 of 57

BWB did you ever contact Cal Java about a mold? That's the source the CC person cited on her pic.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 9:37pm
post #40 of 57

No I didn't Bakingangel -- I missed that one. Which CC person cited that? Do you have a link or website for Cal Java? I contacted several mold companies to no avail and even went into the ceramics and pottery fields online -- still to no avail! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif I'm just not sure what to do. If you could direct me to Cal Java I'd appreciate it! icon_biggrin.gif

Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 4:53am
post #41 of 57

Honeycakes found it for you in this thread. See her post. Another CCer made a similar cake like you're trying to do. Click below and read what Caken... said in her upload spiel. Cal Java is in Calif. and makes all kinds of gp flowers. Try caljava.com. In the meantime I'll see whatelse I can find out and will get back to you.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1180064.html

Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:26am
post #42 of 57

BWB - As you would say, "Yeah, baby!"

I found the Jasper mold Cakenicing used on her pretty cake.

Click: Mold tab (at the top of the page)
Click: 700 series (there are 3 pages for this series)
Click: Page 2
Click: #724 (Jasper Mold)

Wow! Cal-Java has expanded their product line! Another great resource!

I noticed they also have the mold she used for the feather and other decoration too.

Have fun shopping!

Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 8:35am
post #43 of 57

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif I typed Cal-Java's website but CC over-rode it with Global's!

Just leave out the spaces: cal java on line . com

Let's see if this works now icon_twisted.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:02pm
post #44 of 57

SWEET!! You guys ROCK!!! icon_lol.gif Yeah baby! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 1:36pm
post #45 of 57

Okay I checked out Cal Java -- those lace molds are the ones I checked out from www.elegantlacemolds.com In fact I spoke with the owners and she said they don't have the greatest detail but if I came up with a figure she would make a mold for me. The gal in that mold was hand carved by a friend of theirs which is why the mold doesn't have the greatest detail. I may just cave and get that one even though it isn't quite what I want.

Bakingangel Posted 27 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #46 of 57

Oooh POOH! I'm sorry. I hoped that would work for you! icon_sad.gif

OK! OK! OK! Just a thought... what about going the Cricut route?

Scan your favorite pictures into pc, download to SCAL, cut out dancing ladies on gumpaste, attach to side of cake. The details could be drawn by cricut using edible food color.

Hey, I'm brainstorming here... think outside the box! You're an original thinker! I've got the Cricut but need to get the SCAL program which I plan on doing tomorrow. If you think you want to try it let me know.

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #47 of 57

ha ha ha!! Well I don't know about me being an original thinker so much as it's "necessity is the mother of invention!" icon_lol.gif I'm going to check a local art place where they teach and ask the ceramics teacher about it. I know from research that the original Wedgewood Jasperware molds were destroyed by the East Germans some time ago (somewhere between the end of the war and the early 1970s.) But Wedgwewood still makes Jasperware and Martha Stewart recently had a blog entry on one of her staff visiting the place where they make Jasperware not that long ago and there were plenty of molds there. (by the way, Wedgewood never did answer my email!) icon_mad.gif

So on goes the battle... icon_biggrin.gif

cakeordeath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeordeath Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:28pm
post #48 of 57

these are a bit pricy but im sure you could google some more and find cheaper ones. http://app.vendio.com/storefront?view=CAT_HOME&catId=2867131&parentCatId=-1&sid=10209&mode=1&pnum=2 HTH good luck

cakeordeath Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 5:29pm
post #49 of 57

these are a bit pricy but im sure you could google some more and find cheaper ones. http://app.vendio.com/storefront?view=CAT_HOME&catId=2867131&parentCatId=-1&sid=10209&mode=1&pnum=2 HTH good luck

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #50 of 57

Thanks Cakeordeath! I may end up getting those two molds. This cake is on the fast track to becoming the most expensive cake ever made! icon_confused.gif By the way, exactly how much is 37/8 x 33/8??? Is that inches or what???

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #51 of 57

Never mind, he just wrote me back -- it's 3 7/8, not 37/8 which threw me. icon_redface.gif

Bakingangel Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 8:40pm
post #52 of 57

BWB - I know what you mean. Seems every time I do a wedding cake I spend more on new toys than I make on the darn thing! Hope you find what you're looking for. Good luck.

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jul 2009 , 10:10pm
post #53 of 57

Well here's a little bit of an update: I spoke with Armond at the link that Cakeordeath put up and he's offered me a discount on the two molds PLUS free shipping so I took him up on that. Yes, it's a little more than I wanted to spend but not nearly as much as he's asking for in the link. So that's a good thing.

The second thing is that I did find an architectual place that deals in restorations and they have figures available in the sizes I need (and just what I wanted too). They're very inexpensive so I'm considering buying those and making my own silicone molds from them.

Good Lord, who knew this would become the world's most expensive cake from HADES!!! icon_confused.gif You know, it just goes to show -- NO good deed goes unpunished!! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeordeath Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #54 of 57

wow BWB im glad i could help you out, I feel like i did something today!lol. And it was a plus that he gave you a discount and free shipping. When i read this article i automatically remember that site because i used to make soap on the side. So to all the other cakes, soap molds are also good for caking, and sometimes less expensive.

cakeordeath Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 1:00am
post #55 of 57

wow BWB im glad i could help you out, I feel like i did something today!lol. And it was a plus that he gave you a discount and free shipping. When i read this article i automatically remember that site because i used to make soap on the side. So to all the other cakes, soap molds are also good for caking, and sometimes less expensive.

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jul 2009 , 12:50pm
post #56 of 57

Yes Cakeordeath, you certainly did help me out and I'm very grateful for it! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif Armond was so nice that when we spoke he got all excited about making more Jasperware molds and he's now making the Dancing Girls pattern at my request!! icon_lol.gif Cool!! He said he has a ton of Jasperware molds already made that were part of a special order for a 9 tiered Wedgwood Jasperware cake icon_eek.gif and because it was a special commission he cannot release those molds or a pix of who made it. icon_cry.gif I'm dying to see that cake! icon_biggrin.gif Well the good thing about Jasperware is that there's not just one cake I can make from all these molds! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #57 of 57

Well I wanted to give y'all a quick update: Armond is a dream to work with! We developed a Jasperware Urn mold and he did the dancing girls for me. He's also working on some other ideas we came up with. I'm going to do a spotlight on him on my website soon hopefully. In the meantime I've found some other greek-style ornamentation from elegantlacemolds.com and I'll incorporate them with the molds Armond has made (the dancing girls and such) and I'm even inspired to do a set of Jasperware cookies! OOOOOOOOHHHHH!!! I just can't wait!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%