Need Help With This Idea

Decorating By bobwonderbuns Updated 6 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm by bobwonderbuns

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 57

I am wondering if anyone knows either where I can get molds that look like the greco-roman maidens in flowing robes which are so popular in Jasperware or how can I make these figures? If anyone has Kate Manchester's book "The Perfect Wedding Cake" there's a picture of a cake in the style I'm thinking of on page 32. I'm also attaching another cake by the same artist (Cheryl Kleinman) who did these figures (I'm thinking out of marzipan or fondant.) But my afternoon searching the internet has come up with nothing! icon_cry.gif Soooo, if any of y'all can help me I'd be most grateful. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

56 replies
pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 57

Gorgeous cake! I can see why you are searching for the molds. I have no idea where you can find them, but wish you success. icon_smile.gif

Plan B might be to use a frozen buttercream transfer, if you can photocopy this or a similar picture. (See the "How To" section in ARTCLES".)

Post a picture of your finished cake. I would love to see it. icon_surprised.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 57

Oh that's a great idea!! I didn't even think of that, although I did contemplate colorflowing a maiden from a picture of a Jasperware vase. I don't know how well that will turn out though as colorflow tends to run into one big blob, making it great for monograms but not so great for single color maidens with flowing robes. icon_confused.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 57

I think either color flow or choc. transfers would be my first choice. With the choc. they will be stiff and you can have them out from the cake just a bit, which would add dimension.

You saw my demo on the choc. transfers...they are so so easy!

Jen icon_smile.gif

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 57

Those are molds. They may have taken the original and made a mold from it though. It might not be something purchased.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 57

That's what I thought. The only thing is that I don't want to spend a fortune on a jasperware piece only to smear it with silicone and risk ruining the piece and possibly the mold itself.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 57

lol...they look like molds to me too..love it!
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 57

That is a wedgwood pattern called the dancing hours.. I wonder maybe she had a wedgwood vase and got it from there.
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/sugarsurprises/item/c-1679
Edna icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 57

Huh! Good work Edna!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm not too concerned if the maidens are dancing or not -- I've seen plenty of beautiful Jasperware pieces where the maidens are doing all kinds of things from sitting to talking to dancing or just standing there. Now if I can just figure out how to find a Jasperware knockoff to make a mold from... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:48pm
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Huh! Good work Edna!! icon_biggrin.gif I'm not too concerned if the maidens are dancing or not -- I've seen plenty of beautiful Jasperware pieces where the maidens are doing all kinds of things from sitting to talking to dancing or just standing there. Now if I can just figure out how to find a Jasperware knockoff to make a mold from... icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

lol... I been looking for one.. Other than calling wedgewood and ask them for one I havent found one!..lol..They have a plate that has all the girls in it and they are done in a way that can probably be molded from, but I aint buying it!..lol
Anyways..we keep the search. If anyone has any luck write.. Maybe we should call the lady who did the cake to see how she got it!
Edna icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

You could try going to home and garden stores and see what they have--decorative tiles and what not. Some art stores also carry inexpensive plaster models, and museum gift shops as well.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #12 of 57

Oooooh Varika, that's a GREAT idea!!! icon_lol.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #13 of 57

Hobby Lobby always has little figures like this. Could you get one and make your own mold? I'm sure you're well aware of the process but I just read about it in the candy/blown sugar forum (look up making glass bottles).

Bellatheball Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 57

Sorry, should have read all the replies. oops

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 8:55pm
post #15 of 57

Bella, that's a great idea about hobby lobby -- I was just there the other day too! icon_rolleyes.gif Next time I go I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up! thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:00pm
post #16 of 57

I dont have a hobby lobby here!!!!!!!!!!
Edna icon_sad.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:02pm
post #17 of 57

I was just looking thru "candy making" stuff on other sites, and came back here... I can't believe that I didn't think about making a mold. You guys are GENIUS!!!!!

Bellatheball Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:05pm
post #18 of 57

I'm pretty sure I've seen them down those packed garden aisles. I think they also have those unfinished plaster pieces that would fit the bill. Hopefully you find it. Edna, (I always bow to you when I read your posts! icon_biggrin.gif LOL ) Michaels has the plaster pieces too.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:07pm
post #19 of 57

Well if anyone finds something with the pretty maidens in flowing robes and make molds from them, I can guarantee them at least one sale!! icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 9:10pm
post #20 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatheball

I'm pretty sure I've seen them down those packed garden aisles. I think they also have those unfinished plaster pieces that would fit the bill. Hopefully you find it. Edna, (I always bow to you when I read your posts! icon_biggrin.gif LOL ) Michaels has the plaster pieces too.

I havent seen them, I might need to hunt aisle to aisle..lol
Thanks!
Edna icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #21 of 57

Well I spoke with a company who makes molds and they said they've tried the dancing lady motif before but it doesn't get good detail. They said if I had something to mold it from they could try it, but I'm not spending $$$ on a Jasperware piece just to make a mold from it (which may not come out anyway.) Anyone know where I can get a Jasperware knockoff cheap?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #22 of 57
yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #23 of 57

so i didn't ahve time to read everyone elses responses but what i would do is to print out the figures and make a stencil, cut the sillouettes out on thick fondant and use your fondant tools to add a few indentions. those look like they are mostly flat anyway. and round off the edges to they arn't choppy looking.

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #24 of 57

What a great idea yamber!! Thanks!! I think I'll be playing soon! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:59pm
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

so i didn't ahve time to read everyone elses responses but what i would do is to print out the figures and make a stencil, cut the sillouettes out on thick fondant and use your fondant tools to add a few indentions. those look like they are mostly flat anyway. and round off the edges to they arn't choppy looking.

lol..i thought of this..but..Im too lazy!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:00am
post #26 of 57

You know, I'm really surprised there isn't a candy or chocolate mold with these greco-roman figures.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #27 of 57

I found this site, but it sure seems pricey...

http://app.vendio.com/storefront?view=ITEM_DETAIL&cid=938406&lid=302213510&mode=1

(I hope I did the link right!)

HTH,
Karen

bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:31am
post #28 of 57

What a great site! You're right though, they are a bit pricey. I wanted to contact them about other wedgewood molds but I can't find the "contact me" button. icon_cry.gif

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:36am
post #29 of 57

If you find figures to make molds with, not sure if it would even work in this case, its worked with smaller things and things with maybe less detail but ive taken a hunk of gumpaste, pressed a piece into it ,removed the piece, let it dry and you have a food safe gumpaste mold

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 11 Jun 2009 , 12:40am
post #30 of 57

If you scroll all the way down the page on the left, there's an "About Us". It takes you to the contact info - they're in CA.

Hopefully this goes right to it:

http://app.vendio.com/storefront?view=ABOUT_US&cid=938406&sid=10209&mode=1

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%