34 replies
Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 35

Anyone? Their new episodes....

skeet1zp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skeet1zp Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:45am
post #3 of 35

I did not really care for any of the three. If I had to pick, I would pick the all white one with the magnolia. I think this season will be interesting. So far it seems to be about cakes and not so much about manufactured drama.

CakesbyCindi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCindi Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 35

I agree, none of the three really jumped out, the Rose Panel cake was beautiful, the Magnolia cake was pretty, the Candy Hearts was to masterfully done, but just didn't do it for me. I look forward to more episodes, I like the new Decorators, like skeet1zp said, not as much drama.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 35

I liked the sweetie's cake.....They do a great job. !!!!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 35

loved the show, but wondered why the one girl with the tatoos severed her partnership with the other lady and went out on her own?
anyone know?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 4:03am
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyscakes

loved the show, but wondered why the one girl with the tatoos severed her partnership with the other lady and went out on her own?
anyone know?

They did not come off as even close to a good match. I'd figure that once they viewed the shows and saw the one girl's attitude toward the girl that's still on the show--I mean there was some respect missing huh?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:39am
post #8 of 35

The other shop that's going to be on this season is also a breakaway business. It's the woman who used to be with Cake Divas, and she's started her own shop. The guy who was with Cake Divas is also working with her now (the one they would give all of the hard cakes to and ended up making him cry from the stress all the time! I'm sure he loved being featured that way on tv) They didn't show that shop on last night's episode, but they'll be on this season's shows. http://www.wetv.com/amazing-wedding-cakes/bios/merci-beaucoup-cakes

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #9 of 35

I was so glad to see this. Seems like a year since the last one. That rose panel cake was too much! I really thought it was going to take a dive. Nice to see fun at work with Lauri Duittinos in the Cake Alchemy kitchen and some color on cakes though I didn't like the gold ribbon on the magnolia cake but I love how she fixed it so quickly. I would have like the logo on the Sweetie's cake upside down. And that was soo much fondant. I was waitiing for the couple to take a bite of one of the hearts and make a face.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 35

I had to DVR it - with luck I'll get time to watch it in the next few days icon_biggrin.gif

Glad to see a new season - it's been forever since we saw something new!

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 35

It was definitely nice to see a new show. I liked the show overall. I think the sweeties cake needed to have the name upside down, because it looked like the box was opened at the bottom, it looked awkward. The sister had told her, she should have fixed it, it was her opinion which was right. Sometimes we need to take constructive criticism and I speak on my behalf since my husband sometimes tells me this or that doesn't look good on cake and I get upset but at the end I do take his advice and it works out or I realize he was right.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:00pm
post #12 of 35

I have 2 questions:

If you were already in the middle of doing a cake, like the terra cotta one, and the bride changed her mind, how much extra would you charge? I mean, all of that wasted fondant, wasted time, etc.

I don't work with fondant, so I didn't understand the gold ribbon process on the magnolia cake. Why do they apply the fondant, then paint it, trying not to get gold on the white fondant, on the cake board, etc. It seems like it would be easier to paint the fondant, then apply it. So, fondant users, is this a REALLY stupid question???

sadsmile Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:21pm
post #13 of 35

If it was me making that ribbon I would have colored it golden yellow and dry lustered it with old gold dust or gold highlighter dust and then put it on and touched it up. I don't like the way doing luster wet leaves brush strokes.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 35

JGMB that was my thought--how much would you charge to change the color of the fondant in the middle of the cake-making?!?!?! I would have loved to have seen the cake completely done in terra cotta though! As for painting the gold once it's on, that's the way to do it....the color goes on best that way!

My favorite cake was the Rose panel cake...just gorgeous...were the red layers cake and my biggest question is how did they get the panels to dry so fast and they transported that thing without much stabilizing...almost tipped the top layers off as they sat it down--YIKES!! Even the fondant seems to dry at an amazingly quick speed for the Cake Girls...how?!?! I've been drying the brim for a cowboy hat (combo GP/Fondant) for a week now and it's still not quite done!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 1:50pm
post #15 of 35

I have right in my contract that no changes (color, flavor etc) can be made to a cake within 2 wks of delivery, no exceptions.

I couldn't believe they were so accomodating with changing the fondant color especially since they had already colored and covered 2 tiers. They must have charged a LOT to accomadate that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:32pm
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I have right in my contract that no changes (color, flavor etc) can be made to a cake within 2 wks of delivery, no exceptions.

I couldn't believe they were so accomodating with changing the fondant color especially since they had already colored and covered 2 tiers. They must have charged a LOT to accomadate that one. icon_rolleyes.gif

I hope they did charge for that change! Even my non-caker husband said "charge them for it!" when the girl answering the email said "they want white now." What a pain!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:56pm
post #17 of 35

I know............what if they didn't check their e-mail until later in the day and the cake was finished?

Hey, don't you love how our DH's are starting to think like us? icon_razz.gif Mine thought that the "fondant stuff on that cake looked lumpy"........gotta love 'em! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #18 of 35

I mean they had to do the cakes that were ordered but I thought the big momma bear bottom tier on the one with the gold ribbons should have had something on it. It was totally gorgeous, don't get me wrong, I admire Lauri very much, but I wanted something on there--like a nice big brushed embroidery magnolia white on white even--just a touch of texture.

I would have arm wrestled the bride on that one--I mean even another ribbon or something. But I guess the bride was actually busy arm wrestling them so...but dude, gotta rent a car for a delivery?! <faint>

I mean I know caterers rent vehicles all the time--but it was just one weeny little cake--plus they usually deliver in a cab--I think that's a riot too.

But all the folks do great work.

That tension between Margie and her boss (sorry can't remember his name) illumines why Margie gave her partner (in the partner challenges) such a hard time. That's their modus operandi--they should consider some counseling to relieve that--it gets old real fast. I'd be so outa there.

But I love love love the show.

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #19 of 35

Hands down rose panel cake was my favorite, but I just wish I could work with Mary for 2 weeks...lol

wakeandbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wakeandbake Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:07pm
post #20 of 35

i thought certain elements of the rose panel cake were beautiful. just not that great all together like that. i always love the cake divas work. but i do agree that it would have looked nicer upside down. the terra cotta cake turned gold ribbon cake was ok. but my husband thought that the gold ribbon looked a little sloppy. i definately like this show better than the cake boss (which i couldn't even watch a whole episode of). seems alot less fake. but i guess that they can't all be like the ace of cakes crew...

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #21 of 35

I thought the rose panel cake was kind of cheesy. I agree that the gold ribbon on the other was sloppy. Of course, I am in no position to judge - I would love to be able to do work even close to this, but just an observation!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #22 of 35

Can someone please tell me the next time they are airing the repeat? I can't get to the website from work.

Thanks

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #23 of 35

The rose panel cake was beautiful, but I think sometimes less is more. It is f fine line between well decorated and gawdy.
My personal taste is simple and elegant, but some people like over the top.

I noticed everyone cut their cakes from large jellyroll sheets. Do any of you do that or do you use sized cake pans?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of the jellyroll sheets?

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:34pm
post #24 of 35

the terra cotta one would have been awesome imo. i would have continued with the color, evil i know, since she had already confirmed a week ahead of the wedding, then emailed-not called(rude to me)- to change it 2 days before the wedding. the rose panel was pretty, but a little much going on for me. i LOVED the sweeties one! so cute. nice to see the sister doing something on her own for a change. not a big mary maher fan. too many cake challenge issues with her...lol icon_rolleyes.gif

crazyteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyteach Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #25 of 35

I really like the sweethearts cake, but I wish it was done upside down-- it would have made it look more like the box was opened the right way!

The rose cake was too much for my taste also--

I was just glad to see they started a new season! I love any cake shows.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 7:05pm
post #26 of 35

Just on incredibly minor design element that is bugging me.

The cake completley rocked--no question--mucho hard work--just stunning result.

One teensly little issue with rose panel cake is the little handlebar moustache scrollie above the hearts is wrong-it removes the 'v' shape of the top of the heart--it's not in the original design (the drawing) and it is wrong for that spot in my opinion.

It like puts a lid on the heart instead of letting it flow free--I know that sounds weird but it ruined the feng shui cake karma or something.

I mean the cake totally rocks--I bet it was incredibly spectacular in person--I'm just saying that one design was opposite what it should have been. Should have been blank there above the heart or pointed to the indent in the heart. Or had the additional scrollie work with it to remove the moustache-y put a lid on it feel. But blank even woulda been better.

Yes I understand how weird I am. icon_lol.gif

If you have it tivoed or recorded check it out & tell me I'm a nutjob icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #27 of 35

Would you like to know what that grey material is he, Chris, uses to roll out that humungous piece of fondant? It's Oatey shower pan liner.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/2679504

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:06pm
post #28 of 35

I love the show but I expected more, I don't know, like the cakes didn't have that "wow factor" I was expecting from those amazing artists, maybe it's just me. I agree, the terra cotta would of look amazing and ended up like an old boring cake, beautiful but nothing special! Can't wait for next week though, hope it gets better and hope Mary gets to do something I love her! Did you see wedding central on Sunday? It was cake masters episode it was amazing to see Mike's Amazing cakes, Bronwen Weber and Charmain "Cake Diva" Jones featured, you actually got to see them work and they even shared their shipping tips. Great show!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:20pm
post #29 of 35

K8 I was wondering what that huge grey material he was using was....thanks....and how did you ever find it?

sadsmile Posted 9 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #30 of 35

Shower pan liner that goes under the tile...? Is that food safe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%