Hello!

Decorating By Monelove Updated 7 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm by Rylan

Monelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monelove Posted 6 Jun 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 16

Hi All,

I'm a newbie and just want to say Hello to everyone and introduce myself......my name is Monica, 42, and I live in Las Vegas and I'm new to cake decorating.

I stumbled across this site yesterday and have become addicted, I've spent most of today looking around and reading past forum posts. I find this site VERY informative and everyone seems REALLY nice.

I'm very new to cake decorating. I started baking with my grandmother in her kitchen many years ago and I enjoy it. I've always admired people that had the skills to decorate beautiful cakes but used to tell myself that I could never do that myself....so I never did. A few months ago I decided to take a cake decorating class at my local Michaels (my second home) and fell in LOVE with it!! I eat, sleep, drink, and Google cakes. I also spend WAY too much time in the cake aisle at Michaels. I think I'm pretty good at it....well, as good as a newbie can be anyway. I've made a few cakes for my classes and fewer for family and friends and have received good reviews.

Anyway, I have a friend that is getting married in Oct. of this year and she wants me to make her cake......a four-tiered cake and I just want it to be awesome, for her sake and mine.

In closing, I just want to say again "Hello", that I have found this site VERY informative and hope to speak and share with all of you in the future.

Best wishes,
Monica icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 16

Welcome to Cake Central! Here's a link to some Cake Central acronymns. It will help get you get around the forum's easier!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 16

Hi Monica! Welcome to CC! As it states, this site is addicting...I will log on, and swear to myself that I will only spend a few minutes on here. I end up on for an hour or two. Everyone is really helpful, so don't be afraid to ask any questions you have. Good luck with the wedding cake!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 16

Welcome Monicaicon_smile.gif I think there are a couple of other gals on here from LV.
Sounds like you have been bitten big time icon_smile.gif This is a great place to learn, learn, learn all about this sweet pastime. You can get the basics from Wilton classes but you will refine that knowledge here for sure.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 16

Welcome, and yes it is a very addictive site, but you'll be amazed how much you can learn. I started taking classes at michaels a little over a year ago to make my sons wedding cake. That was it, I was hooked. Oh, I made the cake and they loved it. I'm sure your friend will too. And yes I have seen quite a few people on here from Vegas.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 16

Hey Monelove...welcome to cc and I'm from Vegas....originally from Cali. This site is past addictive...my hubby is soooo jealous because he says I spend so much time cyber caking with everyone here. I've learned so much here and I've been thinking about taking Wilton's classes again because I'm a Wilton class drop out.

And I can so agree about the cake aisle in Michaels, whats weird is...I don't know about your Michaels, but the one I go to only has ONE aisle for cake decorating...and I STILL stand there for far too long gazing at things I've seen dozens of times. LOL

Again, welcome and keep on cakin...if I could be of any help you can pm me with any questions. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 16

Welcome to CC, Monica! Glad to have you on board and look forward to seeing your work. If you have photos of cakes you have made you can upload them into your "my photos" album so we can see your work.
Again, welcome!!! icon_smile.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 16

Welcome to CC! I think you will like it here. We are all looking forward to seeing your work.

Michele

DeeDee1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDee1520 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:11am
post #9 of 16

Hi Monica!

I am Deb from Texas (but looking to relocate to Colorado in the next few months). When I read your post, I felt like you had written my story! I am also a Newbie to Cake Central and I am also quite addicted. I have learned so much from this site and have seen some INCREDIBLE cakes on here. I hope that I can become half as good as some of these talented cake decorators. I also took Wilton classes at my local Michaels, and just finished the final one on fondant and gumpaste. Now I guess I am on my own. Great to meet you and good luck!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 16

Welcome from Michigan!
Addictive isn't the word for this site.....more like dangerous! You will make friends, buy more cake supplies than you ever knew existed, and view everything you see as a new cake idea!

Welcome!

cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #11 of 16

WELCOME! Yes this site is very addictive! But what makes vit so great is the wonderful people on it, who are willing to share their knowledge and help out with problems.

vickymacd Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 3:44am
post #12 of 16

DeeDee1520~ Welcome to you as well! Love your avitar. So cute.

Come on ladies, grease those pans and start baking!!

Monelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monelove Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 4:41am
post #13 of 16

WOW, Thank you all so much for the kind greetings!! I'm so excited to have found such a wonderful place in which to learn, share and create.

This site is so addicting...I had to walk away from the computer for a bit and give my husband some attention as he said he was feeing neglected....big baby!!

I've only taken the first three Wilton courses at Michaels. The last one (Fondant and Gum Paste), I guess I will have to wait for, seems nobody else wants to take the course and Michaels will only hold the class if at least 4 people sign up so I will wait or perhaps I will learn everything they would have taught me and more on this site and will not have to take the class.

I'll post pics of the few cakes I've done, once I figure out how to do so. Funny how I thought my first couple of cakes were cool but now I look back and think, "Wow, I thought these were cool but look at what I can do now"

vickymacd Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #14 of 16

Monelove~ once you have a pic saved you want to upload, go to the 'galleries' link at the top of the page. Click on that and it will take you to another link that says "upload pic". Click on that and follow what it asks for. Simple.

As far as hubbies feeling neglected...tell him to get used to it. You learn new things, he gets cake!

Upload your cakes right away. You will then have a 'gallery' of "my photos". I uploaded my pics from the beginning and love how I've learned and tried new things and now have a record of all of them in one spot.
And make sure you upload them so we can all comment as well. This isn't a bashing site, but a tool of knowledge site!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 16

well monica it looks litke you're off to a great start!!hello from the great white north otherwise known as canada!! LOL las vegas is my dh dream vacation!! i usually have to spend a few minutes (hours hehe) browsing or updating before i can get my day started (how addicted am i?)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

Welcome Monica! Welcome to CC!

I'm also from Las Vegas. Isn't it wonderful to know that you are not the only one in Vegas? There are a couple of other people here in Vegas, other than bakermommy4 and me. If you need any help around the area, just pm me.

Rylan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%