Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By RetiredNavyChief Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm by brincess_b

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 16

I was wondering if anyone sprays their gumpaste flowers with anything to give them a shiney look? I made some and they look kinda dry. thank you.

15 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not sure but steaming them I think works.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 16

could you give them a spray with a clear vanilla/almond extract maybe? (i saw them spray fondant with something on the foodnetwork challenge but i think it was just air)-not sure really but hope you get some answers!

Liz23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz23 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 16

Steaming for a few seconds will help set the color especially if you've used any petal dust.

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 16

What about clear vanilla extract and luster/pearl dust? Works for me.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 16

Hold them in the steam from a tea kettle for about two seconds and they will dry with that nice sheen that petals naturally have. If you dust them again after they dry from that, they will have that velvet look that some darker roses have.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 16

Steaming works great. Just bring a little water to boil in a shallow pan. Hold your dry rose by the wire upside down over the water. Not close enough to burn yourself, but just close enough that the steam gently covers the rose. Turn the rose from side to side to get all sides. It only takes a few seconds total. Hang it to dry completely. The shine lasts a good while, too. HTH

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 16

Just hold them over the steam from a kettle or an open pot for a few seconds. Don't touch them because they are sticky for a bit.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 16

Just hold them over the steam from a kettle or an open pot for a few seconds. Don't touch them because they are sticky for a bit.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:08am
post #10 of 16

Steam 'em!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:47am
post #11 of 16

guess steam (lol sp) is the answer-i'll have to give that a try soon (i have some deep purple that i want to be nice and luster-y)

RetiredNavyChief Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 2:53am
post #12 of 16

WOw thanks every one. SO i am going to try steaming um.... icon_biggrin.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 16

And after steaming, don't let them touch the other steamed roses, it streaks the colored dust off and you'll have a clean spot. Ask me how I know. LOL.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 2:46am
post #14 of 16

i steamed them, they look alittle better, so now do i dust them with pearl dust?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #15 of 16

I was thinking you already had dusted them. So steam them again after you dust them.

Just brush the color on with a soft brush. Some people use makeup brushes. But I find they're too soft. Look at a picture of a real flower to see how the coloration varies. Some are darker in the center of the flower. Some are darker in the center of the petal, etc..

I use non-toxic chalks (not the oil based ones) I grate them into dust as I use them on a little tea strainer. You can get a pack of 24 colors for $7 at michaels as opposed to real petal dusts which would cost you a fortune for 24 colors.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #16 of 16

if you want a stronger shine, use confectioners glaze, you can dilute it down to change the strength of the shine too.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%