Magic Shell On Cake

Decorating By Leahbell Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm by Leahbell

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 4

I did a search for this, but couldn't find anything. I want to make cakes for my daughter's class that look like ice cream sundaes. I've made them before, but used candy melts to mimic the hot fudge sauce.

I was wondering if I could use the Magic shell sauce instead. It would be so much easier. I don't know if the cake has to be cold in order for the shell to harden. Also, will the shell stay hard if not kept in the fridge?

Thanks for any answers!

3 replies
cakeladyofga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyofga Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 4

I've never used magic shell on a cake before but I have on ice cream. But when the ice cream melts and come to room temp so does the magic shell. It does kept it shape some what but is very soft. I found a bowl that "had" ice cream w/magic shell on it under my DDs bed this morning! icon_surprised.gif Why not use a chocolate ganache? 1 cup chocolate chips 3 tbls heavy whipping cream...melt in microwave thats for a small amount hth icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 4

I agree the ganach would be so much better. I find the majic shell very waxy tasting, I also think the cake would have to be very cold to harden.

Leahbell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leahbell Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help! I was worried that the magic shell would soften up. The candy melts I used looked good, but was a little hard to spread around. I think I'll go with that small batch of ganache that cakeladyofga suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%