Fondant Covered Cheesecake

Decorating By izzybee Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 3:10am by mcdonald

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 5

OK, so I just delivered a 3 tier cheesecake wedding cake. I was really nervous about it holding together, so I covered it in fondant, that I then refrigerated, looked good.

Drove 40 minutes in my 65 degree car, got to the venue, took the tiers out, and the blue fondant, under the base ribbon was melting! Pools of blue were spilling onto the cake board. I use Satin Ice. I frosted the cakes in a white chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting, then placed the fondant on top. Is it a reaction with the cream cheese and the fondant? This has never happened, and thank god, they are keeping it in the walk in until cutting time.

Has anyone ever had a melting fondant problem in cool temperatures? I'm waiting for the bride to call any minute!

4 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #2 of 5

I really have not idea why, but how does fondant taste on cheesecake?

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 5

I've never heard of covering a cheesecake with fondant...my guess would be that the moisture from the cheesecake caused the fondant to liquefy. Had you done fondant over cheesecake before and had it work?

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #4 of 5

I have seen somewhere that brides have requested cheesecake for a wedding cake but they are not actually the dessert cheesecake but a cake. Has anyone else heard of this?

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 5

I haven't heard of covering the cheesecake w/fondant. Sounds like a good idea. I can see though, as a previous post suggested, that the condensation from the cheesecake might cause some problems with the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%