Never Using Bc Again Under Fondant

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:27pm by yortma

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #241 of 507

I would not be adding any sugar at all - I think you need to look at your chocolate selection (I use Callebaut) you can use milk chocolate of a combination of both - maybe you might be better with 50/50.

It is interesting with different tastes across the globe because I find the dark chocolate ganache, mmmmm dark, rich, and sooooooo incredibly delicious. What sort of cake are you putting it on - ours normally are either dark or white chocolate mudcakes (which have a chocolate base as anyway) so the ganache is MOST complimentary to the overall flavour.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #242 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

that would probably work, but you know that you need to use a different ratio of milk chocolate than dark (more milk chocolate) - right? One of the ganache recipes I make (Epicurious.com Double Chocolate Layer Cake) has sugar and corn syrup cooked with the cream.

* 1 pound fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
* 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

If it were me, I would rather have dark chocolate ganache and I might consider making another batch of that (maybe use semi-sweet??) and add the sugar and corn syrup, then mixing those two batches together. I think I might like that better than mixing milk and dark chocolates. If you are going to have leftover, at least you might have something that you will use again.

Thank you! I will try that icon_smile.gif

ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #243 of 507
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake

good point mbt...

Do you think it would work if I made another batch of ganache using milk chocolate then and mixed the two together? It's really bitter! I dont mind dark chocolate, but the people eating the cake might feel otherwise lol.

that would probably work, but you know that you need to use a different ratio of milk chocolate than dark (more milk chocolate) - right? One of the ganache recipes I make (Epicurious.com Double Chocolate Layer Cake) has sugar and corn syrup cooked with the cream.

* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons sugar

If it were me, I would rather have dark chocolate ganache and I might consider making another batch of that (maybe use semi-sweet??) and add the sugar and corn syrup, then mixing those two batches together. I think I might like that better than mixing milk and dark chocolates. If you are going to have leftover, at least you might have something that you will use again.

This recipe is for a SOFT ganache - ie. the type that you would pour over a cake. Notice the 1:1 RATIO OF CHOCOLATE TO CREAM

You cannot use this type of ganache under fondant !! Not only will you have the fondant slipping and sliding everywhere, it will not set hard and you won't be able to use your smoothers or anything.
ALL these points have been covered earlier in this post - the methods, the reasons WHY, the different creams/chocolates etc. etc. etc.
I suggest that anybody wanting to try this method successfully should at least spend the time to READ the posts

PS - leftover ganache can be successfully frozen for up to 3 months - so there is NO wastage

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:19pm
post #244 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake

good point mbt...

Do you think it would work if I made another batch of ganache using milk chocolate then and mixed the two together? It's really bitter! I dont mind dark chocolate, but the people eating the cake might feel otherwise lol.

* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons sugar

This recipe is for a SOFT ganache - ie. the type that you would pour over a cake. Notice the 1:1 RATIO OF CHOCOLATE TO CREAM

You cannot use this type of ganache under fondant !! Not only will you have the fondant slipping and sliding everywhere, it will not set hard and you won't be able to use your smoothers or anything.
ALL these points have been covered earlier in this post - the methods, the reasons WHY, the different creams/chocolates etc. etc. etc.
I suggest that anybody wanting to try this method successfully should at least spend the time to READ the posts

PS - leftover ganache can be successfully frozen for up to 3 months - so there is NO wastage

Applegum -- I did read through the posts before posting my question, didn't find anything about adding sugar after the ganache is ready. Thats all I was wondering about... if its possible to sweeten ganache after its made.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:43pm
post #245 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

ApplegumKitchen, you are entirely correct. I was answering at work and spoke before I thought it out.

I do think that you were quite rude in your statement that I need to READ the posts. I have read the posts. I'm sorry I'm not perfect, but it seems to be accepted CakeCentral behavior these days to jump someone's a** when you don't like what they said.

It is possible to point something out in a polite manner such as the way that I am talking to you now. In reading some of the CC cat fights lately, it makes me wonder if I want to continue to be a part of this group.

jennicake, I am VERY sorry that I gave you the ingredients for poured ganache. The corn syrup might make it too soft to use under fondant. I think I'll try some tomorrow and see what happens. That way I can come back and make an educated statement. I do believe that the added sugar wouldn't hurt a thing and would make your ganache sweeter which is the only thing you were trying to accomplish here.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #246 of 507

I wasn't aiming my comments just at you jenni - I just find it frustrating when people try to offer a solution without full knowledge of the subject - had you made the recipe for this ganache with the added glucose, butter, sugar and the wrong ratio of chocolate to cream - the next post you would have been posting would have been ...... Ganache under Fondant - IT DIDN'T WORK! It can be a huge waste of ingredients, time and effort.
I think it is wise if you are trying something new to listen to those that have done it successfully many times before you start making adjustments.

If the chocolate isn't sweet enough for you then you should only be considering changing the type of chocolate - and please remember that if you are using white chocolate (which is traditionally MUCH sweeter) you will need to change the ratio to 3:1 (in cool conditions and maybe slightly more in hot weather) Milk chocolate (as in not sooooo dark) can be done at the same ratio as dark (2:1) and if you combine dark and milk it can still remain at 2:1

If all that fails to satisfy your sweet tooth - then perhaps ganache should not be your medium of choice.

EDITED: When this was posted - the last message was not showing.

OK - my comments were GENERIC (NOTE I use the term "ANYBODY")- they were not aimed at anybody in particular - I was just implying that most of the important points in "using ganache under fondant" had already been posted - there are a number of posts in the last 3-4 pages asking questions that have already been covered in previous posts. I am sorry if you thought I was rude when I implied that .... I have spent a lot of time posting the information - is it too much to ask people to put the effort in to read it .

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm
post #247 of 507

I did ganache for the first time last night (dark chocolate) and it turned out so well! However, I should have came here first, because I didn't think anything of it and stuck the ganached cake in the freezer after it had set and wrapping it up.

I have to decorate it Friday night for my kid's party on Saturday. Will freezing mess it up? Or do I just let it thaw to room temp then do the fondant? I don't want a ton of condensation and it sounds like I will have it otherwise.

Thanks so much!

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #248 of 507

i found i was putting to much buttercream on the cake which made it lumpy , and from reading posts you can put something on the cake to weight it down, to dispurse the buttercream between layers so my next on i'm only going to crumb coat it. it that the way most of you do. Thanks

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:22am
post #249 of 507

salleen--I'm hoping to do exactly that with a cake next week. Please let me know if yours works out ok (I think it will).

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #250 of 507

Does anyone know if misplaced fondant can be removed from the ganache-covered cake? I'm making a truck to serve 200 and don't PLAN to make a mistake (who does?), but would like to know if a mistake would be fatal.

With buttercream covered cake, I could pull off the fondant, scrape off the bc, knead in what little was left behind, and try again.

I'm curious to know if the ganache would come off with the fondant, or if the fondant would just peel away. (This is assuming I need to peel it away immediately after screwing it up and not hours later!)

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #251 of 507

If your ganache setts then it should be firm to the touch and somewhat like a hard shell of chocolate. If you moisten the ganache with jam you may not be able to re-use the fondant-I don't know how the jam would react in fondant once balled back up and rolled back out.

Try using watered down corn syrup to moisten the ganache for your fondant, paint it on in a very thin layer just to bearly moisten the surface. And that way you could peal off the fondant and re-roll it if needed. As long as you do it right away and have not pushed too hard when smoothing it out and you have not disturbed the ganache.

At least I think.

It might need a touch of powdered sugar or cornstarch when rolling it out again as the extra moisture might make it sticky. But it would be very slight and only need a tiny bit because the very small amount of moisture from the light coat of water/corn syrup. icon_smile.gif

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:10pm
post #252 of 507

Hi
Thank you all so much for answering my inquires. I used Guiradelli dipping chocolate for the ganache. I weighed the milk and the chocolate. I do not know what was wrong. Ihave some white squares, I think that I will try them. Do ou think it will work?

Thanks a lot

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #253 of 507

Trina--you need to weigh the chocolate, but measure the cream in a liquid (glass) measuring cup

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #254 of 507

great topic. Ordering Planet Cake immediately.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 3:01pm
post #255 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

If your ganache setts then it should be firm to the touch and somewhat like a hard shell of chocolate. If you moisten the ganache with jam you may not be able to re-use the fondant-I don't know how the jam would react in fondant once balled back up and rolled back out.

Try using watered down corn syrup to moisten the ganache for your fondant, paint it on in a very thin layer just to bearly moisten the surface. And that way you could peal off the fondant and re-roll it if needed. As long as you do it right away and have not pushed too hard when smoothing it out and you have not disturbed the ganache.

At least I think.

It might need a touch of powdered sugar or cornstarch when rolling it out again as the extra moisture might make it sticky. But it would be very slight and only need a tiny bit because the very small amount of moisture from the light coat of water/corn syrup. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, sadsmile. I'm stressing a little because my black Satin Ice fondant is EXTREMELY soft this time. I'm going to be spending the afternoon kneading tylose into it. Geez, I hope it helps!

Now, I have a new dilemma... I was planning to attach a sheet of fondant to the front of the trailer, then place the cake for the cab in front of it and carve. But --- how can I do that when the entire thing has to be ganached and sit overnight before applying ANY fondant? That would include the cab!

I can't really ganache the cab off the cakeboard, because I have to line up the wheel wells and ganache them so they match seamlessly to the cake. Plus, I have to ganache the edge of the cakeboard all around the cake so the fondant will stick to it and I can tuck it under. ...sigh...

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #256 of 507

wow thanks for the tip! Can't wait to try it. icon_biggrin.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #257 of 507

Just stumbled across this thread and I think I will give the white chocolate a try. I can't find any post giving guidelines on how much ganache is needed. I am doing a stacked birthday cake, 12" and 8' double layers. Any ideas how much cream/chocolate I'll need? TIA!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #258 of 507

I feel so bad, I thought I had to weigh them both .... icon_cry.gif I will try it again. Thanks a lot

cncsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncsmom45 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:30pm
post #259 of 507

A little off the subject - is "watching this topic" the same as saving it? For some reason, I don't see a place to save threads.

Labrador_lover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Labrador_lover Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:00pm
post #260 of 507

I made a baby shower cake and used your ganache trick instead of buttercream and I will never go back. I only do this for a hobby so it takes me longer to perfect my craft but the ganache made it so much easier. I actually had perfectly straight sides with no bulges - I am thrilled with the results. Thank you so much for the tip - this site is awesome!

cakeaddiction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddiction Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #261 of 507

I did this today and LOVE it. Made a chocolate peanut butter cake with a chocolate peanut butter ganache. The fondant went on so easy...i love it.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #262 of 507

How do you make chocolate peanut butter ganache?

thecarouselcloset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecarouselcloset Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #263 of 507

So what if they don't like chocolate? Do you check with every client before making them this way?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #264 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarouselcloset

So what if they don't like chocolate? Do you check with every client before making them this way?

I do only because if I want to make a white chocolate ganashe under a lighter colored fondant some object to it and occasionally there are people who just don't like chocolate icon_confused.gif (to me they're just not human!) icon_biggrin.gif Also people with nut allergies often cannot have chocolate. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. icon_rolleyes.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:06am
post #265 of 507
Quote:

I don't have clients since I don't sell but I think it is always a must to tell them what you are going to use to avoid allergies. Some people have allergic reactions with chocolate.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:07am
post #266 of 507
Quote:

I don't have clients since I don't sell but I think it is always a must to tell them what you are going to use to avoid allergies. Some people have allergic reactions with chocolate.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 9:55am
post #267 of 507

So far I've only found 32% cream. Has anybody tried this? Is it close enough to work?

Thanks!

Jenny

lynnfrompa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynnfrompa Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #268 of 507

I was wondering if chocolate chips work for ganache?

kkswmmr114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkswmmr114 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #269 of 507

I have recently used a recipe that has 2 oz. sugar in it, does anyone know what the sugar does?? The recipes on this thread only said chocolate and cream. Also, I found a heavy cream that is 40% milkfat, is that good?? I am having major ganache issues this morning... I am wondering if it is the sugar or the cream or the milk chocolate chips that I used??

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #270 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkswmmr114

I have recently used a recipe that has 2 oz. sugar in it, does anyone know what the sugar does?? The recipes on this thread only said chocolate and cream. Also, I found a heavy cream that is 40% milkfat, is that good?? I am having major ganache issues this morning... I am wondering if it is the sugar or the cream or the milk chocolate chips that I used??

I've never seen a recipe with sugar but I have seen recipes with butter. As far as the cream goes, I usually use HEAVY cream from the supermarket. Unfortunately, it doesn't state the fat content but I can say that I've never had problem making ganache using it.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%