Never Using Bc Again Under Fondant

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:27pm by yortma

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:47pm
post #211 of 507

I am definitely going to be trying this...sounds perfect!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:06pm
post #212 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2abc

Does the ganache need to be refrigerated?
You are not supposed to refrigerate fondant, right?
does your raspberry filling need to be also?

Ganache is okay for a couple of days out of the refrigerator. This isn't my method and you might want to go back and read the whole thread - that's where I got it from and there is very good information.

I have several different raspberry fillings that I use. My homemade filling does have to be refrigerated, so I wouldn't use it here. You can buy sleeve filling that is a little sweet for me, but people love it - no refrigeration required - or take raspberry jam and heat it up, stir in a small package of dry raspberry jello until the jello dissolves. The second one is what I am going to use on my cake in July.

Refrigerating fondant - lots of threads about that and people have different opinions. I think I would search the forums and find someone who knows what they are talking about - maybe pm them - and go from there.

mom2abc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2abc Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:28pm
post #213 of 507

Thank you, I will do that.

nrsanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrsanna Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 6:03pm
post #214 of 507

Whipped ganache! Fabulous, makes sense. Thanks!

floridagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floridagal Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 1:06pm
post #215 of 507

There's a new thread about ganache, I just read this morning about whipping it - let it cool, then whip it to almost the consistency that you want it. The op said that it can be heated and melted to use again. Sorry I don't remember who posted the info.

Melissa

kyhendry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyhendry Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 11:34pm
post #216 of 507

Well I took the plunge this week and used ganache under my fondant. I used milk chocolate (3:1 ratio) because it was for kids. Here's what my dinosaur head looked like ganached. I loved this technique! Kept this cake from bulging and losing shape!
LL

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #217 of 507

Is the ratio still 3:1 if you use either white or dark/milk chocolate under your fondant?

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 5:18am
post #218 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

I'm doing WASC, raspberry filling, white chocolate ganache and fondant. The raspberry filling is a must and I want to be able to use a good amount of it, so I will need a dam of some sort. I'm going to try the whipped ganache ...

I know that the ratio for regular chocolate is 3:1 is it the same for white chocolate?

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:44am
post #219 of 507

Not sure how this topic has got the info so mixed up - I remember posting a number of quite lengthy posts regarding EVERYTHING to do with ganache, as did a number of other people that has trialled what we were saying and were extremely happy.

Suggest people interested in actually doing this go back and read all the posts - in particular the recipes - there are very different ratios for different chocolates and only the white chocolate needs to be 3:1

You also need to be aware that if you are going to 'whip' the ganache that you are introducing air into the ganache and this will definately lower the shelf life of the ganache considerably - Air & moisture (using cheap chocolate) is the perfect medium for bacterial growth .

So.... whilst we said ganache can be left out of the refrigerator etc. etc. THIS only remains true if all the other points discussed are considered.

If you take a piece of this information and add a piece of that and disregard this and that - you will then be saying.... Help! my ganache didn't work!

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:56am
post #220 of 507

I did a cake this weekend with ganache, I used a ratio of 2:1 for dark chocolate, and, my ganache did not harden on the cake at all. It did make a slight coat of crust, but when I cut into the cake, the ganache had melted. Anyone know what could have been the problem? I want to try it again this weekend.

Thanks

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:56am
post #221 of 507

I did a cake this weekend with ganache, I used a ratio of 2:1 for dark chocolate, and, my ganache did not harden on the cake at all. It did make a slight coat of crust, but when I cut into the cake, the ganache had melted. Anyone know what could have been the problem? I want to try it again this weekend.

Thanks

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:01pm
post #222 of 507

Trina--what brand/kind of chocolate did you use? Do you know what % cocoa it was?

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #223 of 507

I also just used the ganache under fondant, I'll never go back to butter cream icing under fondant. I used white fondant over choc cake covered in dark choc ganache. Each layer was torted and filled with a light layer of ganach then a layer of swiss meringue bc. Yummy!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #224 of 507

I also just used the ganache under fondant, I'll never go back to butter cream icing under fondant. I used white fondant over choc cake covered in dark choc ganache. Each layer was torted and filled with a light layer of ganach then a layer of swiss meringue bc. Yummy!

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:45pm
post #225 of 507

I'll try to cover a few points in the hope that one will give you the answer.

Ganache has been used very successfully in Australia under fondant for many years now - important points include:-

1. Use good quality chocolate - it has a lower oil/water content
2. The cream we use has a 35% fat component - less means ganache is less stable and may not set
3. Ganache is made by heating the cream and adding to the chopped chocolate - it will be quite runny at this stage and needs to be left to 'set' to the correct consistency for spreading... Think softish buttercream
4. Leave the ganached cake to 'set' again for a minimum of 12hours at room temp (21'C) before applying fondant
5. In Australia we use a fairly dense 'mudcake' type of cake - not sure what fruit fillings etc may do to ganache as I have never used them - perhaps somebody else can help you with this
[/list][/center][/code]

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #226 of 507

I'll try to cover a few points in the hope that one will give you the answer.

Ganache has been used very successfully in Australia under fondant for many years now - important points include:-

1. Use good quality chocolate - it has a lower oil/water content
2. The cream we use has a 35% fat component - less means ganache is less stable and may not set
3. Ganache is made by heating the cream and adding to the chopped chocolate - it will be quite runny at this stage and needs to be left to 'set' to the correct consistency for spreading... Think softish buttercream
4. Leave the ganached cake to 'set' for a minimum of 12hours at room temp (21'C) before applying fondant
5. In Australia we use a fairly dense 'mudcake' type of cake - not sure what fruit fillings etc may do to ganache as I have never used them - perhaps somebody else can help you with this

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #227 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

2. The cream we use has a 35% fat component

This confuses me...I have a carton of cream right now that says Total Fat 5g????

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #228 of 507

Maybe that is per portion ?? Is it "light" cream or Fat-Reduced?

This link might help you to find something comparable

http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Products-and-Recipes/Dairy-Products/Cream/Types-of-Cream.aspx

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:38pm
post #229 of 507

Maybe that is per portion ?? Is it "light" cream or Fat-Reduced?

This link might help you to find something comparable

http://www.dairyaustralia.com.au/Products-and-Recipes/Dairy-Products/Cream/Types-of-Cream.aspx

FlourPots Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #230 of 507

Yes, that is 5g Fat per Tb. (with about 32 Tbs. in the entire pint), and it's not light.

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #231 of 507

Do you charge extra for ganache? I just made it for the first time and it is MUCH more expensive to make than buttercream.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #232 of 507

Is it just on my computer, or are there multiples of the same posts? Is there something going on with the website? I have noticed it in several threads and even in thread topics. But I can't tell if its my computer or the site.

OK. carry on with the ganache talk.....I'm reading and will try this very soon.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:50pm
post #233 of 507

mmm - how many grams in your Tablespoons (ours are 20mls)
So maybe your cream is only about 25%

Anyway according to the "experts" at Wikipaedia - you should be able to get 35% as Heavy Whipping Cream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 11:51pm
post #234 of 507

mmm - how many grams in your Tablespoons (ours are 20mls)
So maybe your cream is only about 25%

Anyway according to the "experts" at Wikipaedia - you should be able to get 35% as Heavy Whipping Cream

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream

FlourPots Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #235 of 507

Thanks ApplegumKitchen...so heavy whipping cream in the US would fall into the correct %...good to know.

Sharon...it's not just your computer...every post/reply seems to spit out several duplicates...I hope they fix it soon.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #236 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Do you charge extra for ganache? I just made it for the first time and it is MUCH more expensive to make than buttercream.

Well - I guess I don't charge 'extra' because my cakes are costed for whatever they are - but YES ganache will cost you more than buttercream but I feel it also elevates your cakes to 'top shelf'

Buttercream is not very common here in Australia - partially because of our weather - very rarely used by professionals under fondant and partially because it has a poor reputation as being something that mums use for cakes they slap together at home (THIS IS NOT TO BE TAKEN as my opinion of buttercream cakes in the US NOR a slur on US decoraters ! - it is just a totally different marketplace - both in regard to popular cakes and fillings as well as coverings)

If you are doing your costings they way I, and lots of others here on CC, have recommended - ie. starting a spreadsheet and adding everything you use, time taken, materials used etc. etc. it will be easy for you to calculate how much extra you will need to charge to incorporate ganache into your cakes. We don't tend to use the per serving quoting system that seems so popular in the US. But it is easy to convert down - remember ganache is VERY rich and you can't eat a lot of it - we tend to serve the ganached chocolate mudcakes with a tart coulis such as raspberry and cream. It would be the dessert at a wedding reception and reception places may indeed charge $5 per head just to serve it (this is totally separate from what you the decorater does and it is normally an arrangement between the client and the venue)

Also remember our fondant is rolled really thin as well - like about 1/8th inch - so LESS is used as well.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #237 of 507

I used dark chocolate to make my ganache, and I feel the taste is too bitter to be appealing on a cake... anyone know if it would be ok for me to just add some sugar to the finished ganache, or would this destroy it?

mbt4955 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #238 of 507

Good question, jennicake. I don't know about adding sugar, but ... if I were going to, I would definitely add it to my cream before I brought it to a boil. You wouldn't want to add it to the finished product because it would be all grainy.

I use different chocolates to get the taste I am looking for. I love bittersweet, but it is pretty dark. I have made a lot of ganache using Hersey's Special Dark chocolate. It is very tasty.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #239 of 507

good point mbt...

Do you think it would work if I made another batch of ganache using milk chocolate then and mixed the two together? It's really bitter! I dont mind dark chocolate, but the people eating the cake might feel otherwise lol.

mbt4955 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #240 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake

good point mbt...

Do you think it would work if I made another batch of ganache using milk chocolate then and mixed the two together? It's really bitter! I dont mind dark chocolate, but the people eating the cake might feel otherwise lol.

that would probably work, but you know that you need to use a different ratio of milk chocolate than dark (more milk chocolate) - right? One of the ganache recipes I make (Epicurious.com Double Chocolate Layer Cake) has sugar and corn syrup cooked with the cream.

* 1 pound fine-quality semisweet chocolate such as Callebaut
* 1 cup heavy cream
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
* 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter

If it were me, I would rather have dark chocolate ganache and I might consider making another batch of that (maybe use semi-sweet??) and add the sugar and corn syrup, then mixing those two batches together. I think I might like that better than mixing milk and dark chocolates. If you are going to have leftover, at least you might have something that you will use again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%