Never Using Bc Again Under Fondant

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 28 Aug 2016 , 4:27pm by yortma

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #121 of 507

Bonjovibabe, I absolutely love your cake! Every inch of it is pure perfection. Thanks for all the tips on the ganache, gonna try it for a grad cake i have coming up.

THANKS

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #122 of 507

Can someone explain to me the correct texture of this ganache?

I made it last night and checked on it this morning to find it had a texture comparable to store bought frosting except a little thinner. I weighed and measured (no cups) the ingredients. I haven't placed it on my cakes yet because I'm worried the ganache might just slide off.

With my humid weather, I probably should've used less cream. I have a feeling the texture should be thicker, but I don't know for sure since I've never made ganache before. icon_razz.gif

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #123 of 507

I made it two days ago, and the taste was ingredibly good. I think that it gives a better taste to the attached fondant. The cake is nice smooth, no bulging, and very sturdy. For me this is the way to go.... Thank you bonjovibabe!!!!!!!!!!!

Ingo:
I am not an expert (made it just once), but I think you need to add more chocolate. My texture was spreadable soon after it melted and cooled, almost like peanut butter. I would add some chocolate.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #124 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

bonjovibabe, OMG!!!!!!!! That cake looks soooooooooo beautiful! SO simple, very elegant... just PERFECT!

I noticed you used different fillings, what did you use as a dam?

am gonna go back and look at your cake and drool.

Oh, I'm a bad girl, I never dam my cakes icon_redface.gif ! Then again, I use SMBC, BC or ganache all the time, I don't use fruit fillings or such! I just push down on the layers once filled to squish it out of the sides a bit and take off the excess with a spatula. Once the ganache is on and set, you won't have a problem with filling ridges anyway, nothing will get through that stuff!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Me too...I dam with SMBC if I have an actual filling, otherwise, let it squish out, and clean up before icing it.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #125 of 507

Normita--Check Trader Joes--I use their whipping cream. I use the 1:1 ratio and put a little buttercream in it for a filling. I havn't used it for fondant though.

I can't remember where I read it but there is a difference in fat between Ultra pasteurized and just pasteurized. If I remember correctly the Ultra Pasteurized has less fat. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #126 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyMama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

I want to try ganche so much - but it seems so scary.

I thought the same thing, but I just made it a few days ago for the first time and it was so easy, just boil cream, pour over the chocolate, let it melt for about a min then stir it all together till it's smooth. The hot cream melts the chocolate and it gets incredibly smooth and silky.
Then you just pop it in the fridge over night (don't cover with saran till completely cooled b/c it gets condensation that will drip into the ganache and create problems). I whipped mine before I used it and it went on and smoothed so much better than buttercream. I let the ganache set up on the cake overnight, misted it with a spray bottle of water and put my fondant over top, It was perfect and so much better than buttercream.
I used it on the cake in my avatar.

So...mist it with water before applying the fondant. This answers my question! Great idea!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #127 of 507

I too love this technique. i have now adapted it as my go- to for topsy turvy and odd shaped cakes. i have a couple of blog entries on it. ( and showing it in new DVD).

it tastes yummy and adds incredible stability to the cake.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:04am
post #128 of 507

re: higher fat cream - just add some butter. Subtract the weight of butter from the cream so that you end up with the required weight of cream. I use about 2Tbsp butter per cup of cream.

Question about ganache: for people who don't like fondant and peel it off the cake, won't the ganache peel off too? That would be a huge waste of VERY GOOD stuff!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:13am
post #129 of 507

i might have to just try this!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:11am
post #130 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

re: higher fat cream - just add some butter. Subtract the weight of butter from the cream so that you end up with the required weight of cream. I use about 2Tbsp butter per cup of cream.

Question about ganache: for people who don't like fondant and peel it off the cake, won't the ganache peel off too? That would be a huge waste of VERY GOOD stuff!

won't the butter make the ganache runny? i haven't tried that yet.

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:24am
post #131 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCasualKitchen

No in fact the ganache makes it even easier for people who don't like fondant - because the fondant layer is so thin you can just cut/peel it off if you don't like it- but you might find people actually EATING the fondant (and I am sure ours is not as bad as some of yours from all accounts here) because the fondant layer is THINNER - the ganache won't peel off because the chocolate goes onto the cake when it is spreadable (like your buttercream I expect) it adheres to the cake in much the same fashion

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:53pm
post #132 of 507

I have been using this method since I started decorating last year...it is awesome... and the cake is more stable....

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:40pm
post #133 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

won't the butter make the ganache runny? i haven't tried that yet.

Nope. In fact butter makes it stiffer. Consider how butter remains solid at room temp as opposed to cream which is liquid at room temp. Mix softened, not melted, butter into the chocolate and cream mixture.

ShellBell69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShellBell69 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:11pm
post #134 of 507

Now I am over here just dying to try this. AHHHH.

Your cake is BEAUTIFUL!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #135 of 507

Dumb question here, do you use the ganache right away to ice the cake, or can you make it ahead and ice the cake the next day-let the cake sit a day and then cover with fondant?

TIA

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #136 of 507

pam--you're supposed to let the ganache sit a day before using, or at least for awhile

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #137 of 507

Thank you!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #138 of 507

I'm so glad I found this thread! After doing my wedding cake, I thought I needed a break from cakes but now I'm dying to try this!!! I always hate getting bumps and air bubbles because I use SMBC. Thank you so much for posting this!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #139 of 507

Can someone catch me up? How did the ganache work out under the fondant?

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 8:37pm
post #140 of 507

I'm not the op, but I did choc ganache under my bridal shower cake, and they loved it! I got a last minute order for the grooms cake for rehersal dinner, weren't going to get one until they tasted the shower cake!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #141 of 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Can someone catch me up? How did the ganache work out under the fondant?

Those that have used it (ME included... for years now!) think its the BEST!! but there is no QUICK catch up - you will need to read and read and read!! LOL - because if you want it to be successful you will need the correct ratios, the correct chocolate, the correct cream, be aware of stabilising the ganache, setting times before fondanting etc etc etc.

NO it isn't difficult!! but its the same as wanting to cook something without having the recipe or know the procedures involved.

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:50am
post #142 of 507

For us in the states, what type of chocolate is best? I can get Bakers (squares) and Ghirardelli bars. Can you use chocolate chips?

khkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khkakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:04pm
post #143 of 507

I mixed up white chocolate ganache and seperately a ganache using semi sweet. The semi sweet seems very rich. It tastes like the chocolate only. I'm worried people will be expecting something more sweet like frosting. Can I mix in some of the white chocolate ganache at this point? They have both been sitting overnight.

Thanks!

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:10pm
post #144 of 507

khkakes--I haven't done it, but I don't know why you couldn't. However, I think it will be just as rich. I don't personally care for semi-sweet ganache at all. My favorite so far is made with Callebaut bittersweet chocolate with just a bit--maybe a tablespoon--of PS to sweeten it a touch

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 12:27pm
post #145 of 507

OP - That is one of the most beautiful cakes I have ever seen. I wish my wedding cake had looked like that! Now that I am a caker, I see everything that was wrong with my wedding cake, HA!

Congrats! And thanks for all of the tips. I am definitely going to try this!

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:10pm
post #146 of 507

Can I use the ganach as regular icing to decorate a cake? I don't want to cover the cake with fondant.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 6:01pm
post #147 of 507

Ok here's my problem...
3 parts white chocolate chips, 1 part 35% cream, (by weight.)
made last night and left to set in the fridge, no saran.
Today it seems really hard. I have it out on the counter and plan to whip it .
Should it be the consistency of butter cream? right now it seeems to be getting softer but there is no way I could spread it.
Help! What did I do wrong?

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #148 of 507

I made some with milk chocolate and it was set pretty hard the next day. I just zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time. til it started getting softer then mixed it a little and it was spreadable. When I'd spread it on the cake, it set again. everyone loved it!

chedaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chedaw Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #149 of 507

I made some with milk chocolate and it was set pretty hard the next day. I just zapped it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time. til it started getting softer then mixed it a little and it was spreadable. When I'd spread it on the cake, it set again. everyone loved it!

requel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
requel Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 10:34pm
post #150 of 507

What Kind of chocolate did everybody use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%