Anyone Use A Clothes Steamer?

Decorating By momma28 Updated 26 May 2009 , 5:34pm by dutchy1971

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen buddy valastro use a clothes steamer to attach fondant accents and then to finish a piece. Does anyone here use it? I am struggling to gett all the corn starch or confec sugar off my finished fondant cakes and up til now have been brushing it all off with a brush and even then its not that clean crisp look. Sometimes I use a damp brush if I have time for it to dry before delivery. Would be great if I could just steam the whole thing quickly.

4 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 5

Nah, too much trouble. I use a garment steamer for steaming gumpaste flowers.

I find it much easier to airbrush the cake with vodka to remove cornstarch residue.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

I have used the grament steamer, but found that it was too difficult to use on small pieces. I have seen on Amazon a small steamer (Nick Lodge uses one) that sits right on your desk and maybe about 5-inches high.

I like the vodka and airbrush idea since I recently got an airbrush.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 5

WalMart had a mini one last week when I was there, it was by the irons. I had to get a big one for my couch, never thought to use it on a cake!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 5

Would you be able to use the small shark steamer, with the nozzle attachment?

I read a post the other day about steaming flowers etc after the luster/petal dusts are applied to set them and make them shiny. How far away do you haveto hold the steamer from the flower etc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%