Tried Wilton Fondant For The First Time...

Decorating By kate6207 Updated 23 May 2009 , 7:44pm by sweetjan

kate6207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate6207 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:47am
post #1 of 7

and holy cow is that stuff foul!

Because everyone here said it tasted terrible, when I started working with fondant, I started right away with Satin Ice. I bought a couple packages today of Wilton fondant just to use on some dummy cakes and decided to try a bit just to see how bad it was.

It was so disgusting I spit it out. If Wilton fondant is the only fondant people have tried, no wonder they think it is gross. I would never use that on something people would eat.

Sorry, I just had to vent. I can't believe Wilton actually gets away with selling that stuff.

6 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:44am
post #2 of 7

Yep, I hated the taste. I honestly am so tired of the smell of Satin Ice. Thats why I wanted to try Jennifer Dontz semi homemade recipe.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 May 2009 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 7

Wilton's tube icings are nasty too...you know, the tube they sell in the grocery store with the screw-on tips. I tried one of those way back in the day and we ended up tossing the cake out. I have some Wilton real vanilla extract that smells like the stinky kind of cold medicine, but the stink bakes out and only the vanilla stays behind. I think the only Wilton edible that I've been 100% pleased with is meringue powder.

You two should try making some marshmallow fondant. It's so cheap and easy to make, and you can flavor it so it can have all kinds of different yummy smells.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 7

You have to add flavoring to Wilton fondant if you intend to eat it.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 23 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 7

I have never made a successful batch of Michele Foster's fondant.. so I usually add it to wilton's and it makes it taste well and it's really easy to work with.

I agree though, Wilton alone is nasty.

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 7

I can't believe that Wilton actually gets away with producing and selling half the stuff they have! What a rip-off.

I used Wilton fondant for a kosher cake last summer and really didn't think it was as disgusting as everyone says it is. I don't eat fondant, but the brand I use is very neutral in flavor (and not certified kosher, which is why I used Wilton). I have my couples try fondant when I have wedding cake consultations and none of them think it tastes like much.... just sweet.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 7

I've been really surprised that they haven't updated the recipe over the past few years. I think it's an amazing company overall...and I do have a diploma from all four of their courses! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%