I Need Some Help With Color, Please

Decorating By chefbetty Updated 22 May 2009 , 11:07pm by yamber82

chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 19

How do you make the color silver and how much to use in fondant? I making silver fondant stars for a sweet 16 cake for next weekend. All help and ideas is greatly appreciated.

Chef Betty icon_smile.gif

18 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 19

I would tint the fondant a pale grey and dry-dust with NuSilver Luster dust for sheen.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 19

I do the same thing!

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 19

If you want a really metallic silver, dye your fondant grey and then mix your dust with just a little vodka and air brush or just hand brush it on.

chefbetty Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:27am
post #5 of 19

Thanks for the input guys. Now my next question is how do I make lavender and can I tint the fondant ahead of time and store it in a ziplock till next Saturday?

Thanks for all the help icon_smile.gif

Chef Betty

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:37am
post #6 of 19

I had read that lavender fades and changes color if you look at it funny so I would think you should not make it ahead BUT I know there are others who can guide you better than I icon_smile.gif Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 19

Minstrelmiss is correct about the lavender. Any purple or pink will fade and get weird over time, but I think you'll be okay for a couple of days. I suggest using Chefmaster No-fade purple to make your lavender. After it's been wrapped up for a while, don't be alarmed by the color of your blob of fondant. Once you start kneading it, it will return to it's original color.

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 19

i've tried doing the silver paint on method and i cant get it to work icon_sad.gif i use lemon juice. i heard that is suposed to work. i've tired using a very small amount or liquid and also tried adding more liquid. can you guys suggest a ratio? am i doing something wrong?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 19

Lemon juice isn't working because there's too much water in it. You'll get the best results using clear alcohol such as vodka or Everclear because it evaporates so quickly.

As for ratio, since the alcohol evaporates while you work, you just need to dip your brush into the dry dust and the alcohol and make a little bit of mixture every few strokes. I keep my Everclear in a little squeeze bottle so I can add a few drops at a time.

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 19

ooooh. thanks! i was really getting frustrated with it. i dont' keep alcohol in the house usually so it's not something i have on hand. i also heard of using clear vanilla? will that work? and does it make a difference in the type of silver dust i have? i think there are different kinds.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 19

The alcohol works much better because it evaporates fast. Vanilla will make fondant gooey.

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 19

thank you guys sooo much, seriously! i have been trying to figure this out for weeks! the lemon juice was making ti really gooey too. so why did everything i read say to use those 2 if they obviously don't work?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 19

You can buy a litte bitty bottle of vodka for about two dollars. It's enough to last a good while.

I have used clear vanilla or lemon extract without any problems or gooey fondant though.

chefbetty Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #14 of 19

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Chef Betty

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #15 of 19

really? so why isn't it workig for me if it worked for you?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

I run a dehumidifer in my house while I'm working with fondant, because the air conditioner isn't that great here. That might account for the difference. I know I painted the bow on this cake with lemon extract and pearl dust before I had the dehumidifer and it didn't soften the bow at all...but the apartment I was in then had a brand new air conditioner so there was no humidity at all in the apartment.
LL

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 22 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamber82

There's a difference between lemon JUICE and lemon EXTRACT. Extract is more concentrated flavor and is mixed with alcohol. Juice is....well, juice.

Also, my local cake-decorating store actually is carrying a new line of airbrush silver/gold/pearl colors. Haven't tried them, but those might work, too.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 May 2009 , 10:10pm
post #18 of 19

I normally use lemon extract or vanilla extract. Not lemon juice. Also you have to make sure it is real...not imitaiton. Imitations don't have alcohol in them (at least not any I have run across). I don't keep alcohol in the house either...but lately I think I need to LOL

yamber82 Posted 22 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #19 of 19

oh that makes sense. i'm retarted, lol. i finally broke down and ordered some of the edible paint the otehr day but don't really want to make habit of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%