My 3Rd Fondant Cake- Advice, Tips, Suggestions, Feedbacks

Decorating By Rylan Updated 20 May 2009 , 12:56am by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #1 of 19

This is my 3rd fondant cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1372477

This is not the life sized cake I've been planning for since that would be a hige cake and I would need a reason to make one. For the meantime, I made this one instead. It's not life size not life like--I purposely made it that way. It's 3 tiers and about 3 feet tall. I used Carrot cake and red velvet with cream cheese filling (Thanks Edna). I hate hate HATE the colors, it reminded me of Mcdonalds, I have no idea why I made it that way. The body is made of RKT, which I made twice. One was smooth but the body was out of proportion and this one isn't smooth but the body is much better. I asked my dad to make the stand. The wood is actually made of gumpaste/fondant as well as the molding around the pole. Any suggestions, advice, tips, feedbacks and insults are welcome. I need them for improvement.

THANKS to everyone who helped me with everything. Hopefully I get the chance to make the life size cake I've been planning for.

18 replies
Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #2 of 19

Any tips for improvements my friends?

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 19 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #3 of 19

This is one gorgeouse cake I do not see Mickey D's anywhere I is very simple and neat looking. (not that it was simple to make lol) I looks great you did a great job. I myself am a beginner so I woulnt dare make any critisism .

I love it !!! thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #4 of 19

i got nothing bad to say about that, it looks fantastic! The topper looks great, i like the wood too and i really like the little white roses u did too.

Advice: my advice is to keep up the great work!

Tips: my tips are #2, #8, #12.......LOL just thought i would throw in a bad joke there icon_lol.gif

Cake on Rylan! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 19

Thanks ayerim979. I love actually the colors you used on your latest cake.

I think the yellow and red on my cake looks like ketchup and mustard

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 19

You did a great job...being a beginner myself I would not have tried something so grand.

I love the colors, they are bright and vibrant! Just wondering how you made the body for the cake...you have inspired me to give this one a shot!

Any tips or advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome job!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 19

Terrific work, rylan. You have a real talent. I don't have any advice except to say, keep your ideas big. The BIG challenges you give yourself seem to suit your creativity. I like your stuff. Keep it up.

Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #8 of 19

Thanks MissLizzy. The body is made out of Rice Krispy Treats. I would suggest putting a layer of fondant before actually covering it. It will help smoothen it out. My first try was completly smooth but I din't like the shape of the body and the dress so I made This one which is a little rough since I didn't put a layer of fondant.

Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 2:34am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

i got nothing bad to say about that, it looks fantastic! The topper looks great, i like the wood too and i really like the little white roses u did too.

Advice: my advice is to keep up the great work!

Tips: my tips are #2, #8, #12.......LOL just thought i would throw in a bad joke there icon_lol.gif

Cake on Rylan! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank Elise! And you are so funny! hahahahahahahahhahaha

Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:13am
post #10 of 19

Any way I can omprove this? I know I need a lot of improvement

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:19am
post #11 of 19

Rylan I love your cake! Those red and yellow, are they flowers? it's fine as it is, it would've been gorgeous if it was just black and white. but the construction is really good. icon_smile.gif i love the wood texture and the topper and the white flowers. i liked how you did the red and yellow flowers too icon_biggrin.gif

i think you have a way with fondant. for your third cake, this is just awesome. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:22am
post #12 of 19

Thanks cupcakeshoppe. I actually gave this cake as a gift and when I asked her what color, she said red and yellow. Yes the red and yellow are flowers. I think it would have been better with black and white.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 19 May 2009 , 6:22am
post #13 of 19

ooo i agree, would look beautiful in just black and white, not that is not beautiful already icon_smile.gif

Rylan Posted 19 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Terrific work, rylan. You have a real talent. I don't have any advice except to say, keep your ideas big. The BIG challenges you give yourself seem to suit your creativity. I like your stuff. Keep it up.

Thanks. I didn't see your post until now. I saw your photos and your flowers are amazing. Did you color your fondant first with those ones?

artscallion Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:12am
post #15 of 19

Thanks, Rylan. I usually start out by coloring about half of my gum paste and leaving half of it white. I add a little of the white dough to the colored dough each time I start a new row of petals. This makes the flower darker in the center and gradually lightens towards the outer petals.

I color very subtly with a little bit with chalk dust afterward, maybe some of the same color and maybe a touch of another shade so the petals have some depth, interest and don't look so flat.

Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #16 of 19

Gotcha! Thanks for the tip! I have never thought of doing it that way. Btw, what color did you use? The color is really nice, I just have no idea where to start with.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:30am
post #17 of 19

No input from me other than, wow! Just your third fondant cake? You're very talented. The black and white would look sharp, but I really like your current colors as well.

artscallion Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #18 of 19

It's kind of hard to answer your question, Rylan. I don't buy different colors, really. So I can't give you a color name or brand. I only own three vials of color....red, yellow and blue. By mixing these in various combination and proportions, I can achieve any color I want. Part of my background is in art. So I'm more used to doing it this way than buying a specific color.

But, as best I can, if you're asking about the champagne colored roses, I used: mainly yellow until I had it about as dark as I wanted the centers. Then I used a really tiny touch of blue to cut the intensity of the yellow. Yes, blue & yellow make green. But when the proportion is about 15 parts yellow to 1 part blue, all it does is make it a cooler, less yellowy yellow. So it was more like butter yellow than a bright sunny yellow. Then I added a really tiny touch of red to warm it up more towards a brownish/golden color. I continued adding tiny bits of blue and red respectively until I reached the right depth of color. The chalks I used for dusting were a mustard color to deepen the centers and the bases of a few of the more inner petals, some bright yellow touched lightly here and there for added depth, and some white to very lightly highlight a few petal edges.

Then I held the roses in the steam of a tea kettle for about two seconds each to set the chalk dusts.
I hope that all makes sense.

Rylan Posted 20 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #19 of 19

Thanks sweetjan for the nice words.

Artscallion, I really never thought of adding blue to yellow. I will try your suggestions. I tried dusting it all the way and didn't have luck with it since I still need practice. THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%