The Great Scratch Off!!

Decorating By CakeandDazzle Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm by Deb_

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 9:47am
post #151 of 193

someone's gonna throw tomatoes at me but... aren't all cheesecake recipes the same? and what makes the difference is the technique?

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #152 of 193

Can we add Red Velvet Cheesecake?

I've never tried the recipe, but it has been on my "to-bake" list for months.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Red-Velvet-Cheesecake-107766

And how about Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake. Another one I want to try.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough-Cheesecake-31473

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 1:03pm
post #153 of 193

I feel the same as maryjsgirl....I have a base cheesecake recipe that I love but I will try another specialty cheesecake recipe to add to my recipe box. I'd like to add my Caramel-Apple Candied Pecan Cheesecake. Here is the link to the recipe on Cake Central.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7522-1-Caramel-Apple-Candied-Pecan-Cheesecake.html

I'd also like to submit my recipe for Banana-Chocolate Cheesecake. I went to a quaint little cafe in Blue Bell, PA and had a slice of this and had to have it. Sooo...I went into the lab (kitchen) and came up with this recipe:

1/3 C sugar
2 C crushed Oreo crumbs
7 Tbsp butter
4-8oz pkg of Philly Cream Cheese
1 C sugar
4 lg eggs
1/2 C sour cream
1 1/2 tsp banana Extract
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 bananas, peeled cubed
2 C heavy Cream
1 1/2 lbs of good quality chocolate (I use Ghiardelli or Godiva)

Combine 1/3 C sugar and Oreo crumbs in a bowl. Add melted butter and combine. Press mixture in the bottom of either a 10 or 12 inch springform pan...depending how high you like your cheesecakes.

Beat cream cheese until creamy. Add sugar and cream togather. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate. Add sour cream and combine. Add extracts and combine. Fold in bananas. Pour into prepared springform pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour-1 hr 10 min. I tend to like my cheesecakes on the deep golden side.

Meanwhile, heat heavy cream just until it start to simmer along the edges. Pour over chopped chocolate, through a sieve. Stir to combine until smooth. Allow to set and become thick and spreadable...about 3 hours. ( Can put it in the fridge to speed things up).

After the cheesecake is cooled, chill for 4 hours. Remove from springform pan and top with Chocolate Ganache. (The chocolate Ganache recipe is Emeril's).

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 5:48pm
post #154 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreCakePlz

Can we add Red Velvet Cheesecake?

I've never tried the recipe, but it has been on my "to-bake" list for months.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Red-Velvet-Cheesecake-107766

And how about Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake. Another one I want to try.

http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Chip-Cookie-Dough-Cheesecake-31473

Cookie dough cheesecake is a favorite in my house! I just made it for my cousin's birthday in place of cake, because it is her favorite.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 17 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #155 of 193

All this sounds great, but I'm going to be skipping the cheesecake bake off. I just don't make a lot of cheesecakes and I'm on a diet anyway. (heck, I still need to bake my other yellow cake recipe. I can't find a reason to bake it.) Anywho, I'll of course read what ya'll have to say about the cheesecakes. Nothing wrong with learning icon_smile.gif

notapro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notapro Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:54am
post #156 of 193

I'm also sitting out the cheesecake bake off. I don't even like cheesecake's so I don't think I would make a very good judge of any of the cheesecake recipes. icon_smile.gif Can't wait to join in again the next month though!

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:07pm
post #157 of 193

I am happy to bake a cheesecake. I don't really have any recipes to submit though I have one I've always used, but would love to find a better one.
Will we compile a list of recipes like before?
Do Jello and Sara Lee make cheesecake? Not last I noticed .......... NY-style cheesecake or none for me. Can't even eat that other stuff. Definately not worth dessert calories.
If you are concerned about it, we can find some judging criteria that would place it in a cheesecake "category".

Oh....and for akacupcakeshoppe. I'm not sure why you would think all cheesecake recipes are the same? Even if you discount all specialty flavors there are dozens of cheesecake recipes. There are similarities, for sure, but there are similarities between basic yellow cake recipes too.....or chocolate cakes....or pound cakes......or what have you.

Lita829 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:38pm
post #158 of 193

I was going to compile a list of the recipes later on tonight unless someone else would like to do it. I was also going to start a new thread about the cheesecake scratch-off like we did for the Yellow Cake Scratch-Off. It seems as though we have lost a lot of people from the Yellow-Cake Scratch-Off. Several people said that they were going to sit this one out.

Do you all want to proceed with the CheeseCake Scratch-Off or should we go right into Chocolate Cakes?

If we do the Cheesecake Scratch-Off, did we only want plain-baked cheesecakes or baked cheesecakes of all types? So far, the recipes that have been submitted were all types of cheesecakes.

Lita829 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:39pm
post #159 of 193

I was going to compile a list of the recipes later on tonight unless someone else would like to do it. I was also going to start a new thread about the cheesecake scratch-off like we did for the Yellow Cake Scratch-Off. It seems as though we have lost a lot of people from the Yellow-Cake Scratch-Off. Several people said that they were going to sit this one out.

Do you all want to proceed with the CheeseCake Scratch-Off or should we go right into Chocolate Cakes?

If we do the Cheesecake Scratch-Off, did we only want plain-baked cheesecakes or baked cheesecakes of all types? So far, the recipes that have been submitted were all types of cheesecakes.

Lita829 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #160 of 193

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #161 of 193

I have the same problem as many of the others w/regard to cheesecake scratchoff i.e. not enough people to eat them all icon_biggrin.gif and not really any opportunities to distribute them amongst people (it's easy to bake-off a cake and then hand out the cuppys to people) so I'm going to sit it out too. However I think as long as you have at least 5-10 people to participate, I myself will be avidly watching the thread to learn which recipes are best, should I ever need to make one of those babies in the future!

Lita829 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #162 of 193

ceshell Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #163 of 193

I have the same problem as many of the others w/regard to cheesecake scratchoff i.e. not enough people to eat them all icon_biggrin.gif and not really any opportunities to distribute them amongst people (it's easy to bake-off a cake and then hand out the cuppys to people) so I'm going to sit it out too. However I think as long as you have at least 5-10 people to participate, I myself will be avidly watching the thread to learn which recipes are best, should I ever need to make one of those babies in the future!

ceshell Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:43pm
post #164 of 193

ceshell Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #165 of 193

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:10pm
post #166 of 193

Since so many folks are dropping out of the cheesecake testing I vote we switch to chocolate cake recipes. I very rarely make cheesecakes anyway. And when I do, I already have a killer recipe.

With chocolate cakes, however, it's harder to find one that walks that fine line between too rich to hold up well in a stacked, fondanted structural cake and being sturdy, but dry with no real chocolate flavor.

There's nothing wrong with a good cheesecake challenge, but I'd rather stick with finding the definitive in each category of cake we all use in our business/hobby every day. We still have white, chocolate, carrot, red velvet, etc. Then we can address specialty items like cheesecake, pies, muffins, whatever we choose.

Of course I'll go with the flow and submit my cheesecake recipe if that's where the group is leaning. But I'm sensing a lack of enthusiasm for "making a few cheesecakes, and what do I do with them all?"

Since there is some interest in discovering new/better cheesecake recipes, maybe we can just all share or best cheesecake recipes so that we all have a broader group of CC member tested recipes to choose from next time we need to make a cheesecake.

PS edited to add...Please feel free to shout me down on this. I didn't see the initial post where cheesecake was suggested, or any elaboration on why it was suggested, so this is just a blind suggestion. I don't want to step on any cheesecake toes.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:37am
post #167 of 193

Since I can't legally sell cheesecake in MA, my vote is to do Chocolate cake too icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:38am
post #168 of 193

Since I can't legally sell cheesecake in MA, my vote is to do Chocolate cake too icon_smile.gif

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #169 of 193

Ok....cool. Since we are losing so many people and many have voted to nix the Cheesecake Scratch-Off...I guess we should go into Chocolate cakes. Should we push back the start date a week to give people time to submit their recipes?

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #170 of 193

Ok....cool. Since we are losing so many people and many have voted to nix the Cheesecake Scratch-Off...I guess we should go into Chocolate cakes. Should we push back the start date a week to give people time to submit their recipes?

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #171 of 193

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #172 of 193

Lita829 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #173 of 193

ceshell Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #174 of 193

This duplicate posting feature is really annoying! (I am hesitant to even make that remark, for fear that it will show up 4x in a row icon_redface.gif) Like most of you, I only hit submit ONE time. I even stepped away from the computer.

Oh well, sigh....J&H have better things to do right now right - I sure HOPE they are on a fantabulous honeymoon! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #175 of 193

*sorry, technical interruption*
It seems to work, to stop CC from making your post 10x in a row, if as soon as you make your post i.e. as soon as you hit Submit, CLOSE your browser window. It just worked for me on another thread, and it's also the reason my above post only appears once.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:40pm
post #176 of 193

I've got nothing to do today. So I'm jumping in and making Scott Clark Woolley's Fudge Brownie Cake. I've been wanting to try some of his recipes for a while. So here's my chance. If y'all decide to do something other than chocolate cakes, the worst that'll happen is I'll have suffered the terrible ordeal of having a fudge brownie cake in the house. icon_lol.gif

ceshell Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:04pm
post #177 of 193

That is a TERRIBLE ordeal! That is the recipe I was going to submit. I just made one this weekend and sent it off to a party. All I got from it were the scraps...and they didn't last long, I tell ya icon_wink.gif

Deb_ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #178 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

I've got nothing to do today. So I'm jumping in and making Scott Clark Woolley's Fudge Brownie Cake. I've been wanting to try some of his recipes for a while. So here's my chance. If y'all decide to do something other than chocolate cakes, the worst that'll happen is I'll have suffered the terrible ordeal of having a fudge brownie cake in the house. icon_lol.gif

Oooohhhhh that's a really good cake I pair that up with Jodief's caramel filling and cover it with dk choc ganache. It's PMS heaven!! icon_lol.gif

Don't forget your friend over here in Seekonk if you don't know what to do with the leftovers. icon_wink.gif

Now I want to bake one of these but we're having such horrendous thunder and lightening right now and my lights are dimming I'm afraid I'll get the cake in the oven and my electricity will go out.

I'm ready to submit a recipe whenever you guys are. I have a few I've been wanting to try so this is awesome.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:44pm
post #179 of 193

Yay for chocolate cakes! do we submit recipes here? I submit this chocolate cake recipe which has been the one I use the most. I like it because it's dark and it has depth. I have had someone who doesn't like chocolate (i know, weird right? who doesn't LOVE chocolate?) tell me it was the only chocolate cake she'd eat.

Wicked Wanda's Chocolate Cake

Sugar 2 cups
Flour 1 and 3/4 cups
Cocoa 3/4 cup
Baking soda 2 teaspoons
Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
Salt 1 teaspoon
Mix together well, then in same bowl, add the following:
Eggs 2 (just put them in, mix later)
Buttermilk 1 cup ( or 3/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup vinegar )
Strong Coffee 1 cup ( can be hot or cold, but cold is better because hot might scramble the eggs!)
Oil 1/3 cup
Vanilla 1 teaspoon

I usually double the recipe, one batch in a 10" round pan and I get a tall cake.

icon_smile.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:56pm
post #180 of 193

Chocolate cake instead of cheese cake is fine with me for the July Scratch-off. Here are a few chocolate cake recipes that are on my list of "to-do".

Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Deep-Dark-Chocolate-Cake-12488

Chocolate Lava Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Lava-Cake-13555

Flourless Chocolate Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Flourless-Chocolate-Cake-13242

Chocolate Coke Cake
http://www.recipezaar.com/Chocolate-Coke-Cake-153517

Here's a cake from Epicurious (Giant Chocolate Cake with Bittersweet Ganache) that I tried last weekend. It was good, but a little dry. It got rave reviews from the Epicurious community, so I'd like to try it again just to see if I did something wrong.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Giant-Chocolate-Cake-with-Bittersweet-Chocolate-Ganache-and-Edible-Flowers-353421

Carol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%