Bc Question!

Decorating By SJ169 Updated 11 May 2009 , 1:02am by sayhellojana

SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 5

Hey...okay I need to know how long a cake can stay out when it is covered in buttercream? I wont have time to cover it will the fondant until tomorrow but I would like to get the cake started...if i do the crumb coat can it just sit in the fridge until tomorrow morning??
If so can i leave it unwrapped or should i wrap it in saran wrap??
TIA!!

4 replies
teriwiley5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teriwiley5 Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:38am
post #2 of 5

I would just put it in a box overnight. I don't know if I would put it in the frig. because of the condensation when it comes out? Although, in order for the fondant to stick, you may need to spray it with alcohol.

Liezee22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liezee22 Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 5

You can leave it out in a box and it will be fine. Unless you have filling. Some fillings do need to be refrigerated. I do almost all bc cakes and they seem to be fine like this.
icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 11 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #4 of 5

Definitely put it in the fridge. It is easier to cover it with fondant if it's chilled and the buttercream is firm under your manipulations. Take it out JUST before putting the fondant on (after you've rolled it out) You can spray it lightly with water to help the fondant adhere to the buttercream. Or do what I do...run your hands under cold water, shake of the excess, then rub them over the surface of the the cake to lightly wet it. This has the added benefit of making the surface even smoother before you fondant it.

My sequence of events for a fondant covered cake goes something like this, since I have a day job...
Wed night...take cake out of freezer to thaw before going to bed.
Thurs eve..torte, fill, crumb coat, put in fridge overnight to settle.
Fri eve...apply fondant in evening and let sit out overnight to come to room temp. This will let any fondant bubble/sag/bulge issues surface so you can deal with them before decorating.
Saturday morning...decorate and deliver.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 11 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #5 of 5

I don't refirgerate any of my cakes. You can leave it out with a crumb coat, which should protect it from drying out, and be just fine (assuming you aren't using a perishable filling, most fillings are just fine). If you have a cake carrier, put it in that. That is what I do for uniced cakes and it keeps moisture in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%