Urgent...bc Icing

Decorating By sugar_zanna Updated 10 May 2009 , 6:01pm by bakingatthebeach

sugar_zanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_zanna Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone...I'm making a mother's day cake tonight and would like to know what is a good buttercream frosting recipe? I'll be using MMF Fondant to decorate the chocolate/vanilla cakes

thanks a lot

9 replies
Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:17am
post #2 of 10

From what I hear indydebi's is really good. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll be making some tonight icon_biggrin.gif

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #3 of 10

you will get tons of different answers on this. What I suggest is that you clarify what your priority is...best tasting, best crusting, best texture, best one for smoothness?...etc.

I always look in the recipes section on here because often the people that post the recipes will also offer a little more detail (crusts well, people love this, etc...)

Good luck!

By the way, I usually use the Buttercream Dream (from this site) for smoothness and crusting. For taste I'd go with a Swiss Merangue Buttercream (SMBC)

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 10

There are probably a million different buttercreams out there, so I don't think any one can be called the "best." Some noteable recipes from this site are Indydebi's, Serious_Cake's (

), SugarShack (sharon) 's
Italian Meringue Buttercream or Swiss meringue buttercream are also good, but do not crust. My personal favorite is "Classic Vanilla Buttercream" from the food network site.
HTH!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 10

I just made Melyssa's "The Well Dressed Cake SMBC" and flavored it with some orange zest oil, and it is DEEEEE-LISH! I made an orange cake with vanilla filling (Dreamsicle cake) and will be icing it with the orange SMBC. All decorative work will be half butter/half shortening buttercream, though.

Have fun with whatever you decide! icon_smile.gif

sugar_zanna Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #6 of 10

Ok...i guess something that would taste good with chocolate/vanilla cake and fondant...
I'm new at this guys...I'm sorry for the stupid question

sugar_zanna Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhellojana

There are probably a million different buttercreams out there, so I don't think any one can be called the "best." Some noteable recipes from this site are Indydebi's, Serious_Cake's (

), SugarShack (sharon) 's
Italian Meringue Buttercream or Swiss meringue buttercream are also good, but do not crust. My personal favorite is "Classic Vanilla Buttercream" from the food network site.
HTH!

Can I use seriou's cake frosting with fondant??

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #8 of 10

Yes, all of those recipes should be just fine with fondant. I have never made her buttercream, but I absolutely love her yellow cake recipe, so my bet is that the buttercream is great, too icon_smile.gif Let us know how everything turns out

joenshan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joenshan Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:24am
post #9 of 10

not a stupid question at all!! As a matter of fact, you will probably be asking it throughout your cake decorating years. I have been at this for about 5 years and I still haven't found the "one". I still play around and look for new bc recipes all the time.

Good Luck!

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 10 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #10 of 10

No questions are ever stupid! Ive been searching for the best one myself. I try to use a different one lately to figure out what works best for me as far as smoothness and flavor, and if its simple to prepare. So far my favorite has been Ednas (saw it on her youtube video). I use 1/2 butter 1/2 all veg. shortening. and very easy to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%