'due' In 2 Hrs. Need Honest Eyes & Opinions! :o)

Decorating By mrsbriggs06 Updated 10 May 2009 , 11:32pm by cylstrial

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 31

Hey all--

this is a 1st bday cake. mom requested elmo & my sister in law baby sits the boy & knows he likes bats, so I ran a baseball theme by mom.

let's just say yesterday was 'one of those' days... and this was THE cake that was going to make it all better. everything was going perfect..

until i *stupidly* decided I needed it 'higher' to decorate and stacked my turntable on a HUGE margarita glass (the decorative ones.. i mean, it's 'put a fish in it' huge. I did it earlier in the evening & it was fine.. but at 1 am, the whole thing slid & down goes Elmo, cake & all. ;o)

All i could do was scream & dh came running. *Probably sounded like i cut off an arm or something! ;o) *

I managed to save Elmo, though his smile was a frown & he lost a foot, I scraped him down & left that part for this morning.
The sheet cake (which is the striped cake I do) took so long to assemple (layering the colors) & bake (11x15)... Thankfully, it's covered in the grass tip (which I had told hubby earlier is SO easy to camouflage mistakes with) and only one corner tore...

This is the cake after being redone. My question is this: Elmo's eyes look more like cookie monster's. They smeared a bit on one guess which, lol.. you can SO tell... and I tried to fix them without taking them off. (B/c they're on with toothpicks, have all that icing around them, and I'm scared if I mess with them too much, they'll just look worse.

I DO have time to fix them.. would YOU?
LL
LL

30 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 31

Step away from the cake!! Put down that piping bag!!

It's adorable and they will love it

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 31

I agree - cute as can be...

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 31

Honestly?? .... THE CAKE LOOKS GREAT!! My first thought was I couldn't see anything wrong.. WE Are our worst critics... I look at all my pictures in the gallery and see something wrong with each one!! But when the customer comes in and picks up the cake ITS THE BEST EVER... Don'T do a thing.. it is fine.. IT WAS A GREAT CAKE DAY YESTERDAY!! RIGHT??? You did great! THAT WAS A GREAT SAVE!hehehe can you tell I like the word GREAT!

Laurascakefactory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurascakefactory Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 31

It is sooo cute. We are our ouwn worst critics and your customer wont even know you had problems unless you tell them. Leave it alone... it is great thumbs_up.gif

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 31

I agree; only a decorator who knows what you've shared with us would notice those eyes. I think it looks fine, and it's as cute as a button!

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 31

Oh my goodness! That's the cutest little Elmo! And the thing that makes him look so adorable and friendly are his eyes - so don't mess with them as they look fabulous! I looked at the pic before I read the post and my first reaction was "He's so adorable!". I couldn't see anything wrong with him.

mrsbriggs06 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 31

lol.. thank you..

sometimes i just need that... icon_surprised.gif)

i'm just glad to have a board of people who 'get it' and understand that if you keep adding & touching & whatnot, you'll end up with a wreck ;o) . *I went through this with the bunny cake in my pics, too.. I was so worried & didn't like it.. but now I look back & i think the bunny turned out really cute..*

This has been a terrible week (I had a miscarriage Sunday) and I really shouldn't have said yes to everyone who came out of the woodwork & wanted a cake, but I felt that I needed a distraction and I -personally- can tell that I should've just said no...

Yesterday I did a chocolate wrap, but didn't put it on the 'final' cake board first.. & ye, it cracked when I moved it... Then I was making a guitar for my mom's bday and I managed to blow black sparkles all over it.. so I scraped it down & re iced it.. only to have the same thing happen again AFTER I dumped about 1/2 the jar on the floor and took a huge chunk out of the icing with wire cutters (for the strings) b/c I didn't think about the airbrush blowing them across the cake! I was too ashamed to take a pic, but man, that thing tasted AWESOME!

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 31

Totally cute!! I wouldn't worry a bit. Go have a cup of tea and read a book until pickup time icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 31

I think the cake looks fine, but I'm LOL on the Cookie Monster eyes.I wouldn't have thought about it, if you hadn't said it, but yeah, they do look a little like Cookie Monster's. And you must have the grip of death! You hand piped all that grass?!?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 31

Wow, I went through a range of emotions with this whole thread.

1st was dread "Oh gosh, I would panic too."
2nd was relief "Whew - nice save."
3rd was hurry "Let me hurry and get through all the compliments so I can give her another one cause that is a very cute cake."
4th was saddness because of your miscarriage

So sorry that you've had a rough week. ((hugs))

bebea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bebea Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #12 of 31

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))) to you...sounds like you need them.

he is the cutest little baby elmo! you just want to hug him!

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 9 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 31

I looked at the pics before I read the rest of your post where you described what you thought was wrong with it.

My immediate thought after looking at both pics? DEFINITELY leave as is... it looks great!!!!! As soon as they see it they are gonna love it.

mrsbriggs06 Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I think the cake looks fine, but I'm LOL on the Cookie Monster eyes.I wouldn't have thought about it, if you hadn't said it, but yeah, they do look a little like Cookie Monster's. And you must have the grip of death! You hand piped all that grass?!?

icon_lol.gif
& yeah.. hand piped using the grass tip.. elmo & the grass..
wanna laugh?
i had been thinking to myself 'oh yay, i'm really rollin' on this piping and i've gotten my buttercream to the point where it doesn't melt as easy.. i've got 2 gloves on my 'piping hand' (hot hands) and this is going really good. This might be the first cake I've done grass on where it all comes out an even color b/c the icing is setting up nice, not melting.. not developing too quick... YAY ME."
until the stupid thing fell over! ;o) and I had to re pipe. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks SO much for all the nice compliments.. & you were all right -- mom & dad LOVED the cake and the little boy tried to take a nose dive into it!! Hopefully they'll send me pics of the aftermath!

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 31

ITS CUUUUUUUUUTE

emilyhorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyhorton Posted 9 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #16 of 31

Adorable! You did a great job! icon_smile.gif

Emily

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 31

It looks FABULOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

Step away from the cake!! Put down that piping bag!!

icon_biggrin.gif My daughter says that to me ALL THE TIME!

donkeemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donkeemom Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #18 of 31

I feel your pain.....I always think I need to do just one more thing, and it often does'nt go well. But, your Elmo looks adorable! What a lucky little guy to get such a cute Elmo cake. Nice Save!

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 31

You did an amazing job!

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 9 May 2009 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 31

It looks cute!

I agree..... Step away from the cake! icon_lol.gif

mrsbriggs06 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #21 of 31

icon_surprised.gif)

mom just called & RAVED about the cake. says they want to use me again and she gave my name to everyone at the party as they were all asking about the cake. she said it tasted amazing, too! YAY!!

thanks y'all!

mrsbriggs06 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #22 of 31

icon_surprised.gif)

mom just called & RAVED about the cake. says they want to use me again and she gave my name to everyone at the party as they were all asking about the cake. she said it tasted amazing, too! YAY!!

thanks y'all!

mrsbriggs06 Posted 9 May 2009 , 8:27pm
post #23 of 31

icon_surprised.gif)

thanks y'all!

golondon05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golondon05 Posted 9 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #24 of 31

I also looked at the picture before reading and I think it looks so cute!!

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 May 2009 , 10:08pm
post #25 of 31

icon_smile.gif Congrats on being successful!!

P.S. I'm sooooo sorry you lost your little one icon_sad.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #26 of 31

that has got to be the CUTEST Elmo I have ever seen ♥

queenie1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenie1958 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #27 of 31

My grandson turned one today and my daughter made a elmo cake for him. He would just love your cake. Its so awesome and cute! thumbs_up.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:40am
post #28 of 31

Yes, that is definetly a very cute cake leave it alone, good save.

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 10 May 2009 , 4:42am
post #29 of 31

Your cake is adorable. I love the look of happiness and wonder in Elmo's eyes.

I do want to let you know I am so sorry that you lost your baby.
Please get some rest.

-Debbie B.

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #30 of 31

i have weeks where everything cake related goes perfect and others when everything seems to be against me (like last week). i also get what you have had where you made a mistake and even though you fixed it PERFECTLY you still just see the mistake even though no one else does. what i find is that i always like my cakes the next day when i forget what they looked like when i was decorating them!!

your elmo is the cutest ever and you would never know you dropped him!

sorry about your loss, get some rest and take care xox

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%