How To Make Gelatin Bows & Flowers

Decorating By justdi Updated 24 Jan 2017 , 12:26pm by CalaMom

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 8:09pm
post #361 of 887

thank you all for your lovely comments.

I used the mold from cake connection and black fondant.

I used a tiny drop of americolor blue after it was liquified (I never had any foam to spoon off). After they had dried, I went over some parts of the wings with a pink color pen (the wilton one)

When I made the dragon fly, I did a little of the gelatin between the 2 wings so it was really one piece and then used piping gel to attach the body over this spot. Hope that makes sense.

Finallly, I brushed a tiny bit of piping gel around the edges and then dipped in pixie dust. That added a nice touch.

nannie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:35pm
post #362 of 887

OK, Here is my first bow.

I learned to make sure it's all even cause some parts were thinner than others and they "folded" rather than made nice loops.

Basically this is so simple and cheap, I was thinking they would make a nice bow for a gift box.

Whatta you all think?
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:38pm
post #363 of 887

Nannie you did a great job!! I see you used the tip about using scrapbooking scissors for the edges -- very nice!! icon_biggrin.gif

PartyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PartyCake Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 11:10pm
post #364 of 887

I thought I would try to make the gelatin butterfly but wonder if a candy mold would hold the temperature or would the mold just melt? Would the gelatin peel off the candy mold like it would the veining sheet? Are there any other methods to use the gelatin on? Could I just spread it out on wax paper and then cut out a shape of a butterfly or other object?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 12:30pm
post #365 of 887

I don't think a candy mold would work, this technique requires the gelatin be really thin - and if you used a candy mold, I don't think you could get it as thin as it needs to be for the effect.

I know others have used the silicone mats to make the bows, I am not sure it would release from wax paper - you would have to try it to see. I really prefer the gelatin mats for the butterflies and dragonflies, they add texture to the wings....they look more realistic!

Nannie - you are a pro already at this!! I love your bow too!! icon_biggrin.gif I have made quite a few of them up and I keep them in styrofoam sandwich containers that I got from GFS.

ncaggie68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncaggie68 Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 11:06pm
post #366 of 887

Hi Loucinda. You are right. The candy molds don't work. I tried it last week. I order the book but didn't order the sheets. Once I realized that the candy molds didn't work I ordered the sheets..LOLOL... I did the butterflies in solid colors and it looks great.

I want to do the bow but the sheet for the bow didn't come with the package. what do you use for the bows?

Loucinda Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #367 of 887

They sell different sheets for the bows - she has a set of them you can either buy the whole set or buy them individually. I have all of them! For the big bows I have done, I have to make 2 sheets of the same texture. Once you make one you will not ever want to do another fondant bow again! icon_wink.gif

PartyCake Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #368 of 887

I had a candy mold of toast and butter which was a thin mold and the butterflys turned out fine. They had a nice bumpy texture from the toast mold. I am not sure how to get the effect of different colors on the butterflys though. Do you brush on different colors at the same time or after they are dry? I did put some fine sugar on them and it adhered with just a drop of water rubbed on them.

agentlorac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentlorac Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #369 of 887

Thanks for posting such a lovely technique! Can't wait to try it!

Loucinda Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:56pm
post #370 of 887

Just be careful when coloring them - if you use too much liquid, the gelatin will dissolve. The best things to use are the edible markers and airbrush paint thinned with something with a high alcohol content. (everclear works really well) I had trouble with the piping gel on the bow edges, it "weighed" them down for lack of a better description.....just use a tiny bit - too much it affects the bow.

nannie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #371 of 887

hey, all

I recall information about storing the already melted gelatin. I know not to put in fridge or cover (mold?) but what else can you do?

I just wanted to save some overnight and incase I needed it.

Thanks

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:11am
post #372 of 887

You can put it in a ziploc bag - but you will need to use it within a day or so, no matter what you do, it will grow mold VERY quickly.

nannie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #373 of 887

so just pour it into the bag. icon_confused.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:12am
post #374 of 887

NO Nannie!! You let it set up in a bowl first, then just "peel" it out of the bowl and put it in the ziploc bag!

nannie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:14am
post #375 of 887

D'oh icon_redface.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:04am
post #376 of 887

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

nannie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:44pm
post #377 of 887

ok,

Here is my weekend project: "Dragonflies, Butterflies and Bows"

Inspired by Bob's butterfly cake.

It's the dummy cake from ICES that I just reused.

What fun this is icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1438963

PartyCake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #378 of 887

I assume once the gelatin hardens it doesn't get mold otherwise you wouldn't be able to place it on a cake. Do you mean put the unused gelatin in a ziplock bag so it doesn't harden? Please explain. I hope you don't have to throw away the beautiful butterflys in a day or two.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:23pm
post #379 of 887

How are you attaching the wings to the fondant body?

nannie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #380 of 887

PartyCake: from what I understand, once hardened they last a long time (and no mold) The intructors had been carrying around a demo cake with all the flowers, bows etc and they said it had lasted months.

I put my completed pieces in a box and we'll see.

tiggy2: they give 2 methods, one is to do each wing separatly and attach with piping gel. I found that way too fiddlie for me. icon_cry.gif

The other method was to put a little stripe of gelatin between the wings when you're "painting" them on the sheet and then treat it as one piece. Then, again, use piping gel to attach the body. Just seemed stronger.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:35pm
post #381 of 887

Wow Nannie, you did a GREAT job on that cake!!! LOVE those butterflies!! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #382 of 887

OK - once the gelatin has set on the mats, it is good to go. I have bows and butterflies from 4 months ago that are just fine, they were not even affected by the humidiity here. No growing anything....nada. Perfect bows and butterflies!

Now, if you have the gelatin that is just set up (in the bowl) and you want to save it and reheat it to make more it WILL grow mold in just a day or so in that form. I don't know why but it does.

PartyCake Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:43pm
post #383 of 887

Thanks, that makes more sense now. I tried to make some without a mold but they didn't turn out half as nice as the ones I have seen posted here. I assume you could use the veining sheets over and over. If so, I am going to order. Do you tint the gelatin in seperate bowls and paint on the veining sheets or are the different colors on each butterfly applied by food markers?

nannie Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 8:34pm
post #384 of 887

yes, you reuse the sheets altho I think someone did a bow on a silpat
and it turned out nicely.

I've both tinted the gelatin a color and left it clear and then filled in the lines with food safe marker.

You can also color with sugar free jello. Gotta try that

hope this helps

Loucinda Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #385 of 887

You can color the gelatin before you put it on the mats - use airbrush colors it works better. You can also add disco dust to the liquid gelatin too, it will make them sparkle! If you use a sheen color, they will be opaque versus transparent.

rgrady06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rgrady06 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 6:51pm
post #386 of 887

Has anyone put these on buttercream? Do they start to melt like royal icing does? I love this method, and would love to be able to use them on a crusting buttercream. I know someone has already said that they think it should work, but has anyone actually tried it? Thanks for sharing all of this. I'm fascinated and can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

nannie Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 7:42pm
post #387 of 887

I did and no problem.

They were on the cake for about 4-6 hours with no affect

Loucinda Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 8:01pm
post #388 of 887

Here is a cake that has a BIG gelatin bow on that I did - it works fine. IF you are wanting to put one on a cake that isn't crusting buttercream, just make a gumpaste or fondant plaque to set it on - that way it won't come in contact.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1374341

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #389 of 887

I would like to try and make gelatin "tiles" for a cakes- like these (hers are sugar):
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1418422
How should I cover the cake- buttercream or fondant? How do I attach the tiles?

Loucinda Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:06pm
post #390 of 887

If making the tiles works out for you let me know. I tried to do that very same thing (used the wilton brownie pan too) and it did not work out. I didn't try a second time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%