Quote:
Originally Posted by Mme_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Is there no end to my cake supply addiction!!!!!!!!

icon_lol.gif Nope! You're one of us now! icon_lol.gif (one of us... one of us...) icon_biggrin.gif

ROTFL!!! icon_lol.gif I no longer have a dinning room and 1/2 a laundry room and I'm now eyeing my living room for space for my cake stuff!!

Oh my.... that sounds like my house! Thank you so much Justdi for sharing with us.... looking forward to the book thumbs_up.gif

...It's in my dining room,kitchen,bedroom,spare bedroom,and what was my office/painting room...and where can I store the Agbay...and it's just a hobby icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #302 of 887

OK....I will try to help with your questions. All of my sheets except the butterfly sheet had a "#1" or a "#2" on them. I used these to decide which side to orient up. I put the side up that would allow me to see the #1 and #2 normally, as you would read them. This was valley-side up (If you treat the sides as 1 side with raised bumps and 1 side with sunken valleys. ) Actually, I ended up doing two batches of butterflies and accidentally did the bump side up on one batch.....they did not work anywhere near as well. I could only salvage a couple of those.
As far as drying times and releasing. I had one batch that released overnight and one that took a good chunk of the next day. It helps to release if you do not paint one giant layer of gelatin over the whole sheet, but leave space in between the different figures. This isn't always easy, as they are close together. No big deal if they run together. I did have to help a few of those off the sheet though. If you have waited a good day and a half and they still haven't released, I would go ahead and try to pull them. Keep your scissors at hand, as if you have connected figures of different sizes, you will want to cut them apart from each other while peeling. Otherwise pulling off one figure may tear the ones next to it.
As far as fragility, this improves as they age. The first day I was trimming them, they were fairly easy to tear. A couple of days later when I was trimming them with disco dust and assembling the flowers, they were much tougher.
As far as ice cubes......I don't know. I would try it with a thicker gelatin to water ratio than say, jello jigglers. If there is too much water, I think the shrinkage from drying is going to cause your cubes to be mishapen. Maybe the ratios used with the sheets will work. I do think your dry time is going to be pretty long though.....a few days probably.....depending on the size of your cube. If you can use them slightly soft, that would be OK. But if you want them hard......a long dry time.
Oh, and as far as "too thin" goes. They may be quite brittle if too thin. However, I think the thicker ones have a harder time relearsing by themselves. At least that is my experience. My thinner ones released completely by themselves, but were more fragile. Like everything else, it is a balance. I did make extra that I didn't use. But I still had plenty of useable ones, even my first time working with the mats. Hope that helps a little bit!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #303 of 887

Wow, thanks for all your advise. It helps a lot. I will get back at it and try a few things. Can't wait to try the ice cubes.....I hope they work.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #304 of 887

Oh mama -- I just got the NEW sheets that Di has out -- oh man, I can hardly wait to make these flowers!! They have calla lilies, orchid, roses and tulips, a ton of leaves of every variety and get this -- dragonflies!! Oh man, I can't wait to get cranking on these!! icon_lol.gif Oh and I got word that the book will be done "soon"!!! Yeah baby!! icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #305 of 887

OH NO!! Here I go again.....how much do I love this stuff?? Thanks for the heads up on the new impresssion mats BWB!! icon_biggrin.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 3:20am
post #306 of 887

Wow -- I am fascinated by this. Thanks for all the great info!!

Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #307 of 887

I just received the newest impression mats from Diane at www.cakeconnection.com - (THANK YOU!!) I can't wait to try them out - they will be gorgeous, I have no doubt!! The new ones are in stock - they are orchid & calla lillies, rose & tulip, poinsettia & geranium, and ivy & eucalyptus and a dragonfly!!!! I just can't wait to try them all out!! I am still waiting on the book - it should be coming soon!! icon_biggrin.gif

Arabus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arabus Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:28pm
post #308 of 887

Thanks y'all this is fab

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:32pm
post #309 of 887

This is nothing -- wait till the book comes out! icon_lol.gif

Loucinda Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #310 of 887

I have the gelatin getting ready right now. I am going to try the rose first. (and the dragonfly) I can't wait, I KNOW they are gonna be gorgeous!! icon_biggrin.gif
BWB - I didn't mean to RE post what you had already posted! I was just so excited to get them..... icon_redface.gif

If all goes as planned, I will post pics of some KEWL new flowers and such tomorrow!! (doin' a happy dance now!!) icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #311 of 887

I know what you mean Lou!! I want to try the poinsettia and the tulips! icon_biggrin.gif

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #312 of 887

Loucinda and BWB....where are you? Dying to see pics of the new flowers! You both are our mentors in the world of gelatin!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 7:43pm
post #313 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Loucinda and BWB....where are you? Dying to see pics of the new flowers! You both are our mentors in the world of gelatin!

icon_redface.gif Oh yeah, NO PRESSURE!! icon_lol.gif I'm actually working on the cake from Hades at the moment (thankfully it will be done and gone by tomorrow) and maybe by next week I'll have something to post. How 'bout you Lou??? icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:51pm
post #314 of 887

Okay, I have got to be the dimmest bulb in the box. I just read through all 22 pages, made notes as I read along, and managed to foul up on the VERY FIRST TWO STEPS!

"Mix 2-1/2 parts water to 1 part gelatin. Or, 12T water to 4T gelatin."

How do you go about the mixing? Do you let the gelatin bloom first? Do you just stir it into a blob?

Step two: "Warm in microwave"

For how long? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? On full power? Half power?

Step three: "Wait 5-10 minutes, then remove scum"

After 10 minutes, my gelatin is still extremely liquidy. The first time, I think I heated it too long. The second time, I heated it for only about 15 seconds, but it's still too liquidy to skim.

I tried brushing it onto a Silpat. What a disaster. It began to bead up, leaving large holes in the sheet.

I tried to let my gelatin firm up a little, but I still had to apply several coats in order to fill in the holes.

What on earth am I doing wrong???

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:59am
post #315 of 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Okay, I have got to be the dimmest bulb in the box. I just read through all 22 pages, made notes as I read along, and managed to foul up on the VERY FIRST TWO STEPS!

"Mix 2-1/2 parts water to 1 part gelatin. Or, 12T water to 4T gelatin."

How do you go about the mixing? Do you let the gelatin bloom first? Do you just stir it into a blob?

Step two: "Warm in microwave"

For how long? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? 20 seconds? On full power? Half power?

Step three: "Wait 5-10 minutes, then remove scum"

After 10 minutes, my gelatin is still extremely liquidy. The first time, I think I heated it too long. The second time, I heated it for only about 15 seconds, but it's still too liquidy to skim.

I tried brushing it onto a Silpat. What a disaster. It began to bead up, leaving large holes in the sheet.

I tried to let my gelatin firm up a little, but I still had to apply several coats in order to fill in the holes.

What on earth am I doing wrong???

WHOA!! Okay, let's back the boat up and start from the beginning. First off, a single batch is 1 TBSP gelatin to 2 1/2 TBSP water. Use cool water. Stir well to soak up the gelatin. Let bloom for 5 minutes. Then it becomes a solid.

Now, nuke for 5 - 10 seconds. It will be a drippy liquid. You want it liquidy. I use full power in the microwave. I set it on 30 seconds and stop every five seconds to check it. Remember, you only have a couple of tablespoons of the gelatin mixture and believe me, that makes a TON of butterflies!! (See the teal butterfly cake in my pix? I used two batches of gelatin mixture and ended up with well over 100 butterflies.) So a little goes a VERY long way.

When the gelatin mixture is nuked, THEN add ONE DROP of airbrush liquid. Airbrush liquid is very liquidy and is better in this application. See my teal butterflies? Those were done with one drop of teal airbrush color. Now at this point you may see scummy bubble on the sides of the dish you are using -- skim those off. Now you're ready to "paint." If the gelatin mixture gets hard or gummy, pop it back in the microwave at 5 second intervals.

Now, I've not done anything on a Silpat with the gelatin mixtures, I use the mats provided in the kits I get from Di. But you can use a regular plastic impression mat (from art supply stores) and paint the whole thing to make bows like Lou does. Paint in even strokes trying to keep an even coat. I like to use the sheets for butterflies and flowers -- it provides the veining necessary as well as the outlines.

So kiddo, I hope that helps some. Did we answer your questions?

Loucinda Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #316 of 887

I do the 4 T. gelatin to 12 T. water. Let it bloom, then warm it up 5 - 10 seconds at a time.

Let it set till the foam has risen to the top and skim it off, rewarm and do this step again if needed.

From this point, I actually let mine set till it is solid one more time, then warm it up (again 5 seconds at a time) till it is the consistency of fingernail polish.

the painting on the mat is trial and error until you get it right. I tried 3 times before I finally got it. I use a heating pad to put my impression mat on and a coffee mug warmer plug in thing to keep the gelatin liquid while I am working with it.

You should not have to put several coats on (although I have never used a silpat, I use Diane's impression mats) ONE coat will do it. Maybe you are using the wrong kind of brush?

I made my rose petals, but I did them wrong - I am redoing now!

Loucinda Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:09am
post #317 of 887

I am doing the roses over again, I am on the "trial and error" trail here one more time...... icon_confused.gif As soon as I get them figured out, I will post. The way I tried it, not so good (I tried it with just a wire in ONE petal ......not so good)

The dragonflies are GORGEOUS! I did them on a baby shower cake today - I don't have a pic of it, but I will take some of them and get them on here so you can see them.

I WANT THE BOOK!!!! I can't wait till it is ready!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #318 of 887

Okay Lou does this a little differently than I do. But basically it's the same. She's right though, it's definitely trial and error. When I wanted to learn this technique I picked one thing, the butterfly, and went at it. That's partly how the teal butterfly cake came about. And remember, it's all about practice, practice, practice!! icon_biggrin.gif

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #319 of 887

Thank you, BWB for holding my hand. icon_smile.gif

My very thin sheet is almost dry. Well, the thinnest PARTS of it are dry. My painting wasn't terribly even. Although it's too thin and the color is too light, I'm excited that I may have done something right!

The reason I'm using the Silpat is because I'm trying to recreate an organza bow (the cake design is based on the girl's dress and hair bow), so I don't want any pattern. I do, however, hope that I can manage to dip the edges into some type of glitter dust.

FYI - I tried to spread it on an acetate sheet. Ha! The entire sheet curled up and I can't even find the edge of the gelatin! I think it became one with the acetate!

So, what kind of brush does everyone use? I was wondering why we don't just pour it onto the mat or Silpat and smooth it out with something like a bench scraper...? Perhaps I'm thinking this way because my mixture was too thin and I was using the wrong brush.

I appreciate all the help. I can be an uber-dork, sometimes. icon_smile.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:47pm
post #320 of 887

"So, what kind of brush does everyone use? I was wondering why we don't just pour it onto the mat or Silpat and smooth it out with something like a bench scraper...? Perhaps I'm thinking this way because my mixture was too thin and I was using the wrong brush."

Good point. I am about to try this for some fairies I have to make for next week. I wish I had known about the impression mats alot earlier. I tried to email for an order on cake connection and the email won't come up...could anyone provide me with her email so I can order some mats? Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

Carrie

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #321 of 887

I just use a wide flat brush. When the gelatin is dry it will curl up, that's normal. Sometimes you can hear a popping sound as it releases itself from the impression mats, but not always.

For anyone wanting to buy the kits, here's a link:
http://www.cakeconnection.com/gelatin.htm

Glad to know I was a help to y'all! icon_biggrin.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #322 of 887

Thank you! I just got a hold of Di and ordered. I am so excited! Can't wait!

DianeLM Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:41pm
post #323 of 887

My gelatin did curl up when it dried -- to the point that it was unusable. It was flexible, but I couldn't smooth out the wrinkles. This may have been due to my playing around with it before it was completely dry.

On the other hand, I could see using this technique to make a really mod looking candy dish. icon_smile.gif

I've got a new batch setting up right now.

Thanks again for all your help, BWB!

bobwonderbuns Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 4:50pm
post #324 of 887

When you paint it on, do it quickly and evenly and let it be. Then when it dries and curls up, just trim the edges. That's what I did with the butterflies. Glad to help! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #325 of 887

So how's everybody doing??? icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:26pm
post #326 of 887

I have a lot of pieces here ready to play, but haven't had the time to play. icon_cry.gif (MIL has been in the hospital - she lives with us here) I am hoping time is my friend this weekend so I can relax and enjoy my toys!

I hope others have been able to play and have fun with their stuff!

DianeLM Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #327 of 887

I have a bunch of strips, but haven't been able to make my bow yet because I still have to make the flower that goes in the center.

Just from playing with this stuff, it seems to me that it would hold up great in humidity. Water doesn't seem to bother it. Washing my tools is quite a chore! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:20pm
post #328 of 887

I have several pieces made up and in the wonderful Ohio heat and humidity, they have not been affected at all by it. I have them all stored in just plain snadwich type styrofoam containers - not air tight. They look as nice as the day I made them! icon_smile.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #329 of 887

Yahoo - just received the new book from Michaelle & Dianne today and all I can say is WOW! Thirty pages of mega fun with detailed instructions, recipes and lots (I mean a huge amount) of color pictures for inspiration and instruction. What a bargain this book is and I would recommend it to everyone that has been watching this thread.

Way to go Michaelle & Dianne - I hope you make thousands on this book and its related supplies! Good luck at ICES - I hope you sell out!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:45am
post #330 of 887

I was looking for the book but I couldn't find it on their site....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%