Carving Knives

Decorating By Creative_chika Updated 7 May 2009 , 8:21pm by Creative_chika

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:18am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to know what the best carving knife is? What you knife you enjoy using to carve, if it is a knife... I'm not sure... I'd like to make a car, also a purse.

Thanks in advance...

5 replies
mrsunknown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsunknown Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:43am
post #2 of 6

i actually just watched a vid the other day, and they were using an electric knife. I gave it a go the other night to do some leveling and was really happy!!! Just be careful!!! thumbs_up.gif

MLopardi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLopardi Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:56am
post #3 of 6

For the longest time I used a large serrated knife (like a bread knife), but always got crumbs piling up around the cake, especially with the more moist recipes.

Then I tried a large, long, thin knife (basically a butcher knife). I made sure it was nice and sharp, and it worked like a charm. It seems the sharper and thinner the knife, the less sawing motions you need to make, and the less sticking and crumbling you get. I also refrigerate my cakes a couple of hours before carving.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 7 May 2009 , 10:33am
post #4 of 6

as long as it is sharp and non-serrated, it will do the job.
xx

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 6

I use a Henckels 4 Star bread knife that has seen alot of abuse, so it is not laser-sharp anymore. I only use serrated knives for carving/sculpting cakes, and when I took a sculpted cake class from the master of cake carving/sculpting, Bronwen Weber, that is what she used and recommends - and she actually recommends "seasoning" new knives by cutting cardboard with them to dull them down a bit. Most people with whom I have spoken on this subject do use serrated knives, but they must be thin.

A graton or granton-edge knife works well too.

Creative_chika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_chika Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 6

thanks everyone for helping me out with this question icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%