Tx Sheetcake Frosting And Fondant ???

Decorating By kim62808 Updated 8 May 2009 , 1:01pm by shannon100

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 14

How will Tx sheetcake frosting hold up under fondant,, and will my fondant stick real bad to this stuff . I just want the icing to saty on the cake mainley and not comeup with the fondant .So Anyone out there ever tried this recipe together { tx sheetcake frosting - is more of a saucepan pour over icing butter ,milk, cocoa and p - sugar ?

13 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 14

I use a really good crusting buttercream that has fully crusted when I put on my fondant, and when I cut it, the fondant is totally stuck to it. I'm pretty sure it sticks to everything.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 14

oK thanks you for the info , I will keep that in mind when I am doing this cake .

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 14

Just spritz your cake with water before applying the fondant, and the fondant will adhere like glue to the buttercream. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 14

kim62808, Let me know how this works out. I grew up on this sheetcake and I'm having trouble imagining the icing not coming up with the fondant. Of course it kind of soaks down into the cake so it might work ...

Martha

Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 14

Oh, LOL, I failed to notice the part where you said you DID NOT want the fondant to stick to the icing. That's kinda different, but okay.

How is it that I have lived my entire 38 years in Texas, am in my 12th year of teaching Wilton classes in Texas, have taught over 1000 Texans, and have never heard of TX Sheetcake? Weird!!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 14

Ohhhhh Cakepro....It is SOOOOO yummy! My BFF makes this cake every so often...I LOVE IT!

You gotta try it ASAP!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Texas-Sheet-Cake-III/Detail.aspx

mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 14

Sherri - I know you have had it. We called it sheath cake - you do part of it in a sauce pan, then use the dirty sauce pan to do the icing. Pour it over the hot cake. Cocoa, cinnamon, buttermilk ... I know you've had it. Here is a recipe ... this one is for Texas SHEATH Cake. icon_biggrin.gif

Texas Sheath Cake

"Texas sheath cake is probably the same as Texas sheet cakea brownie-like cake made on a large baking sheet. Sheet cake is cited from the early 1900s; sheath cake is cited from at least 1950.

Why the different names? Perhaps it is simply because sheet sounds like a word that cannot be printed here.

Cooks.com
TEXAS SHEATH CAKE
2 c. sugar
2 c. flour
2 sticks butter
6 tbsp. cocoa
1 tsp. soda
1 c. water
1/2 c. buttermilk
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift sugar and flour. Set aside. In a saucepan melt butter, cocoa and water and bring to a boil. Pour this over dry mix and add buttermilk, eggs, soda, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix together, put into greased and floured 11 x 13 inch pan or cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
4 tbsp. cocoa
1 stick butter
6 tbsp. milk
1 c. chopped nuts
1 box confectioners sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Mix and pour over hot cake.

Cakepro Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 14

Yay!! I have the perfect opportunity to make this recipe for this weekend. Seriously, I have never heard of this. I have missed out all this time!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Hahaha, Martha...loved your guess about the pronunciation.

Thanks girls! I will try this recipe tomorrow. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 14

I noticed that these recipes aren't exactly the same. The allrecipes.com uses unsweetened chocolate and the one I posted uses cocoa. Other than that, they appear to be exactly the same. The cocoa recipe is the one that I use. I usually put the butter, milk and cocoa for the icing in the dirty saucepan and leave it on the stove while the cake bakes. About 5 minutes before it is done, go ahead and finish the icing. Pour it over the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.

I don't even use a mixer. If you have a blending fork, that works great. You can bake in either a 9x13 or a jelly roll pan. The 9x13 will end up with pretty thick icing and it is pretty sweet. The jelly roll pan will be about brownie height but still with plenty of icing.

About the pronunciation comment - I can't take credit. I googled "sheath cake" and found this link for Texas sheath cake. Sherri, you'll have to read this article so that you realize what you are baking. This one has been around for awhile ...

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/texas_sheath_cake/

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #11 of 14

i grew up calling it "aunt debbie's chocolate cake" since my aunt debbie always made it for thanksgiving. it has always been a favorite of everyone i know. my husband calls it "better than sex" cake, lol. my brother actually pays me to make him one everytime he's in town. it is also called a texas brownie cake or just brownie cake. iused it for my grooms cake in my wedding. that was the first time i ever took the cake out of the pan to put the icing on it and it ran everywhere. maybe i should have let it sit for a few more mintues before putting it on.

just a thought, but you might could find a way to alter the consistency without altering the taste of it, myabe add some cornstarch or something, or another idea, use the regular icing recipe in between some layers and a more spreadable but similiar icing for the coating.

mbt4955 Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 14

We have gotten off track ... OP wanted to know about putting fondant on this cake. Sherri, I'll bet you can give an educated opinion after you've made it.

yamber82, I've never turned it out of the pan to ice it, but this icing is really runny when it goes on. You would definitely want to use a different recipe, but I think a dark chocolate buttercream would work fine. The fondant could go on top of it too ... could be an answer to the original question. icon_smile.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 May 2009 , 9:14pm
post #13 of 14

I s'pose you could use the frosting as a "filling" of sorts to keep the fondant from sticking. Considering the type of cake and frosting, I personally, doubt it. It is made to be gooey runny yummy.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 8 May 2009 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 14

I know this is OT, but I always called it Snoopy cake! haha. My aunt made it because she's allergic to eggs, and her recipe didn't require eggs. She'd trace a Snoopy figure on it for my cousin, so we always called it Snoopy cake! To this day, in my family, that's what it's called, even though we never put Snoopy on it.

That's the ONLY cake I make from scratch!! haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%