Whats The Best Way To 'drape' Fondant?

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 7 May 2009 , 1:35am by CanadianCakin

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 7

Calling all you fondant wizzes!!! I need to do a drapping of fondant down the side of a 2 tier cake, whats the best way to acheive this?
I saw a tutorial for going around the sides of the cake, but thats not quite the effect I'm going for. I'm looking for how you start the drape at the top and it cascades down the side to the botom. Where it would be thinner at the top at is wider of a drape at the bottom.
TIA,
Ashley

6 replies
CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

Ok I know someone out there has some tips or advice.....

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 7

Just like you said ~ the fondant is thinner at the top and wider at the bottom, so you would cut a piece in that shape, do your pleats, and drape it on the cake. It's not hard but it will be trial and error on your part until you find the right size for your particular cake. icon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 7

Whats the best way to get the pleats....just the dowels? Like when your doing around the whole cake?

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 7

I have always wanted to know how to drape the fondant on the sides....do you mind sharing the tutorials you have seen?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 7

Yep, just use dowels and allow your fondant to set a bit so it's not super floppy (I add a little Tylose to my fondant drapes), then proceed to maneuver it around the cake as you like. icon_smile.gif

Jawdrop...have you considered taking Wilton's Fondant & Gumpaste course? This is something that we teach in that course. icon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 7 May 2009 , 1:35am
post #7 of 7

Yea I would Loooove to!! I have to wait though icon_sad.gif My Husband is way at camp until the end of the month...and I'm on Maternity leave....with our third child (all three under 4 yrs) So right now fun time outa the house is hard! But las soon as he's back I'm doing each and every one!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%