@#$%^ Air Bubble

Decorating By cakedesigner59 Updated 28 Apr 2009 , 12:02am by cakedesigner59

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 19

Here is the cake I delivered today. Just noticed the air bubble in the bottom tier...Do you think it will get worse? The reception has already started, and I don't supposed I could sneak in and poke it with a toothpick. This is my first wedding cake in years (just started back up) and this has me really discouraged. Maybe I should have posted this in the cake disaster part...I NEVER get air bubbles! Agggh!
LL

18 replies
keljo05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keljo05 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 19

after much squinting I think I see it. Is it near the top on the bottom tier.. on the right side of the pic? If so, it took a lot for me LOOKING for an air bubble to notice it. If not.. then I can't see it. I had a cake last weekend that I put in disasters but no one else thought it was as bad as I did. We are all our own worst critics. The cake itself is lovely and remember that most people will be looking at the bride and groom.. and when they see the cake they will admire it for the beautiful work that it is icon_smile.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 19

Very beautiful cake. I love the greenery under it also. I think there must be something in the air...I had problems with my fondant bows breaking today also. No worries, hopefully they'll eat it before too long.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 19

The cake is beautiful. Ignore the air bubble. You will be the only one that knows it's there. (I don't think there's a cure at this point. You could try poking it with a pin, but there's no way to apply any pressure.) Again, beautiful cake. Ignore the air bubble.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 19

I'd poke it if possible, without anyone knowing, just to make myself feel better, but really, it's not noticeable at all.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 19

What bubble,i'm tired of squinting and I don't wear glasses,it's more like a pimple if it what the pp said. Lovely cake anyway.

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 19

That is a gorgeous cake! Took me a while, but I *think* I can make out where the air bubble is. I don't know if it will get bigger or not - but I did want to offer my newly discovered advice on those stupid bubbles...

I about gave up cakes this week after EVERY SINGLE ONE developed a bubble somewhere. And I've tried ALL the advice on here - ice room temp / don't freeze / make sure any dampness or condensation dries off before frosting / don't use an icer tip...all good advice for someone, but never worked for me! But on my last four cakes last night, I tried poking my iced cake with a pin, which many on CC have advised. Sounds weird, but it WORKED!

I made two holes - one on each side of each cake, about in the center where the buttercream holds the two layers together. Then I left it overnight to settle. Just before customers picked up, I piped the tiniest dab of BC to fill the holes and patted them with a Viva to make them disappear (or you could hide with an embellishment of some sort). Good luck - maybe that will work for you too?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:33pm
post #8 of 19

Your cake is lovely, gorgeous bows, very elegant...

None of the wedding guests will notice the air bubble. Don't worry about it. You could poke it with a straight pin, at an angle, then use the round head of the pin to close the hole...but you don't really need to, it doesn't show.

I've noticed that I don't get air bubbles if I crumb coat the cake the day before I put the fondant on, and don't put another layer of buttercream on.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 19

That cake is amazing and I too had to Squint, really really hard to see it. I think it will be fine

cakedesigner59 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #10 of 19

THANKS! I actually went back to the reception (we live only 15 mins away). Hubby was the one who suggested it, knowing I'd never sleep tonight. I had visions of a complete blow out and all the icing falling off. Well, we got dressed back in our finery (it was a ritzy country club setting) and sneaked in (but everyone was still outside at the ceremony, so no one was in the room). It (the bubble) went down! You could hardly notice it at all. I feel so much better. I'll remember the pin next time, but I HOPE I never have one again. I think it was because I iced it Thursday and then put another layer on friday, right after I took it out of the fridge. I should have let it come to room temp first. Sigh. Live and learn. Thanks again, everyone!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:37am
post #11 of 19

I have no idea what you should do but the cake is amazingly beautiful

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #12 of 19

Seriously, the cake is gorgeous!!And it took me forever to come up with what I think is the air bubble...but might just be my imagination!

cakedesigner59 Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 19

You all are so nice. I didn't see the stupid thing when I loaded it in the SUV yesterday; hubby thinks it "settled" during transport, making the bubble pop out.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by keljo05

We are all our own worst critics. The cake itself is lovely and remember that most people will be looking at the bride and groom.. and when they see the cake they will admire it for the beautiful work that it is icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif You did a beautiful job. It wasn't until I magnified the picture to 200% that I was able to find what I think might be an air bubble. So, after all that beautiful work, sit back & relax..... you deserve it.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 9:50pm
post #15 of 19

I think the cake is lovely. I have a friend who did a quick clas on decorating and assembling a wedding cake for our cake club. Once she had iced and smoothed the cake but before she put on any borders she went around the entire cake at the top and bottom of each tier and stuck a hat pin in the icing about every inch or so. This is how she prevents blowouts. She does it on every cake she makes. Then she applies the borders and you never see the holes. I think she is genius.

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #16 of 19

yep, its gaaaaaaawwwguss!
It took me a second to find the bubble too, so glad it went back down for you!
amazing job =)

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #17 of 19

Lovely cake, it looks fine to me.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #18 of 19

What BUBBLE ???????????????All I see is BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakedesigner59 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #19 of 19

How sweet~! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%