How Large Is This Flower?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 22 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 8

My neighbor wants this cake for her wedding, but in white with pink orchids; I will make them if I have to, but I'm a newbie to sugarpaste flowers.

So... how large do you think these are? I found some online in white that I assume I can color with petal dust (?) in either 4" or 5 1/2". My guess is 4" is not large enough...

TIA!!
LL

7 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 8

I coudn't see the picture. You could try calling the company and asking them what the size is.

HTH

Michele

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 8

It's by InticingCreations.com - here's the link
http://inticingcreations.com/grnbrn_wed_cake.html

I am such a novice with flowers I don't even know what type of orchid it is! Cymbidium? Cattleya?

lasidus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lasidus1 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 8

i'd say those flowers are about 4 1/2 inches, maybe 5 when laid out flat. that top tier looks like a 6" so that's where i'm getting my reference point from.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 8

Those flowers look real to me. I am thinking they look the 5 1/2 size. Good luck!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 8

To me it looks like a 5 1/2" flower. If you estimate that the cake tiers are 6", 8", 10", and 12", then the size seems appropriate. Also, even if the sizes are off a little, the finished work will be impressive. These flowers are meant to stand alone, so don't worry about being exact.

If it was me, I would practice making the flowers for this project. However, without the experience, I would order the flowers as a back-up. In my experience working with flowers and cake, a 5 1/2" flower is a big flower! It should hold up on any cake.

What you may want to do, is order a few of the smaller sizes anyway to decorate near the top. The scale and contrast of different sizes can be pretty Test this for yourself with quick samples made from paper. Don't be pretty, just cut some quick petals and tape them together. Think 2nd grade art class. You'll quickly see the scale of a 5 1/2" flower.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 8

Those are cymbidium orchids, and Jennifer Dontz sells a wonderful cymbidium orchid cutter and veiner set. There is even a cymbidium orchid green petal dust that I used in her class when we made these, but I don't remember the brand of the petal dust. Jen would know, though! icon_smile.gif

My finished cymbidium orchid is about 5 inches or a little more wide.

MacsMom Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone! I found some orchids at a new cake supply store just for reference and they look easy enough to make--but now I can't find bright pink petal dust!

Would it be okay to mix pink food color with vodka and brush it on? Although, if I make my own I can just color the gumpaste pink..

I'll look at my Wilton flower stuff and see if there is a similar-sized cutter. I'll probably end up going with Jennifer Dontz', though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%