Looking For...

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 24 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm by sweet1122

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 7

My dd will be turning 3 next Monday & she has requested a vanilla cake icon_eek.gif . I have a great scratch Chocolate recipe, however the few times I tried to make a white cake from scratch it never turns out that great...
I normally would just use a cake mix for a white cake, however I really wanted it to be special icon_rolleyes.gif
Does anyone have a no fail good white cake recipe I could use?
I know there are lots of recipes on here, however I did try one off the recipe list & it didn't quite turn out, so maybe someone can guide me to a good recipe thumbs_up.gif

TIA

6 replies
imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 7

This is the one I use the most, comes out good.

White Cake
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
6 large egg whites
¾ cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract

1) Preheat oven to 350º; butter and flour desired pan(s).
2) Beat butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
3) Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4) In separate bowl combine egg whites, milk, and vanilla.
5) Alternate beating in part of the flour and egg mixtures.
6) Pour batter into cake pan(s) and bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean (25-30 minutes for 9x13 inch pans or 2 8 inch rounds).
7) Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, turn out, and cool completely.

jovigirl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 7

The chocolate recipe I use, always works & it contains buttermilk.. Does anyone have a recipe for a white cake containing buttermilk?

unabendita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unabendita Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 7

This is my no fail cake recipe for white cake. It's a bit delicate, so make sure you use parchment paper or wax paper to line the bottom of your cake pan:

WHITE-ON-WHITE BUTTERMILK CAKE

Ingredients
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temp.
2 1/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well shaken

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease baking pans and line the bottoms with greased parchment paper.

2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Beat the butter with a paddle attachment on low until softened. Add the sugar in a steady stream at the side of the bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes until light yellow and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a large spatula.

4. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg whites and vanilla. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for 1 minute until light and fluffy.

5. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture in 3 equal portions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 equal portions, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the flour and buttermilk ingredients in increments quickly. Do not wait too long as you do not want to overmix the batter.

6. After completing the last addition of flour, stop the mixer and scrape the side and bottom of the bowl with a spatula. Then let the mixer run for 30 seconds on low. STOP the mixer. DO NOT overmix. If necessary, use the spatula to incorporate any stray flour or milk in quick folding strokes.

7. Pour into prepared pan(s). The following times are a guideline. Check at the earliest time and test with a toothpick to determine "doneness": 9x13 - 33-38 minutes, 3 9 inch rounds - 20-25 minutes, 3 8 inch rounds - 17-22 minutes, 1 8 x 3 round pan - 38-43 minutes, 1 10 inch round -33-38 minutes.

8. Cool in pan 10 minutes (15 for larger pans) before removing from pan and cooling on wire racks. Cool for one hour, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze, if desired.

jovigirl Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for both great reipes! I will be trying them both!!!

jovigirl Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by unabendita

This is my no fail cake recipe for white cake. It's a bit delicate, so make sure you use parchment paper or wax paper to line the bottom of your cake pan:

WHITE-ON-WHITE BUTTERMILK CAKE

Ingredients
3 cups cake flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups unsalted butter, at room temp.
2 1/3 cups sugar
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well shaken

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease baking pans and line the bottoms with greased parchment paper.

2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.

3. Beat the butter with a paddle attachment on low until softened. Add the sugar in a steady stream at the side of the bowl. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes until light yellow and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a large spatula.

4. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg whites and vanilla. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for 1 minute until light and fluffy.

5. With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture in 3 equal portions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 equal portions, beginning and ending with the flour. Add the flour and buttermilk ingredients in increments quickly. Do not wait too long as you do not want to overmix the batter.

6. After completing the last addition of flour, stop the mixer and scrape the side and bottom of the bowl with a spatula. Then let the mixer run for 30 seconds on low. STOP the mixer. DO NOT overmix. If necessary, use the spatula to incorporate any stray flour or milk in quick folding strokes.

7. Pour into prepared pan(s). The following times are a guideline. Check at the earliest time and test with a toothpick to determine "doneness": 9x13 - 33-38 minutes, 3 9 inch rounds - 20-25 minutes, 3 8 inch rounds - 17-22 minutes, 1 8 x 3 round pan - 38-43 minutes, 1 10 inch round -33-38 minutes.

8. Cool in pan 10 minutes (15 for larger pans) before removing from pan and cooling on wire racks. Cool for one hour, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Freeze, if desired.

I just tried this recipe & it turned out really well, bakes well too thumbs_up.gif
however when I make this recipe again as I will many times, I will just add a little less sugar as it's a little too sweet for my taste.
Thanks again for the recipe thumbs_up.gif

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 7

Can I ask why the pachment paper lining is necessary in the cake pan? I'd like to try this recipe.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%