Tired Of Gold Glaze...want The Real Gilded Look!!!

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 27 Apr 2009 , 1:02am by __Jamie__

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 19

Here is the stuff I use:

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=3276

It's not cutting it for me anymore. I want the stuff that makes whatever you painted look like it was truly dipped in gold...know what I mean?? And not the spray stuff either. Maybe it's gold luster dust, but I don't think so. Where can I find it? Iseee a lot of products that look like it maybe what I am looking for, but someone knows for sure...help??!!

Thanks in advance guys!

Jamie

18 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 19

for the bright shiny gold, I use Gold Highlighter mixed with a dab of vodka.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 19

When I took a couple of Debbie Brown classes last month, we used a gold powder that was new and it was AMAZINGLY bright and beautiful. If you call the All In One Bakeshop in Austin and ask for Jennifer, she will be able to tell you what gold that was. And when you do, please post here because I want to order some too. I meant to buy some while I was there but at the end of 4 LONG and exhausting days of classes, I just wanted to get on the road and head back home. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 19

Calling now Sherri....thanks! And I will post the answer!

Kateb411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kateb411 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 19

I just read today on another site that they color their buttercream with 10 parts lemon yellow, 3 parts orange and 1 part red...then finish it off with gold luster dust mixed in vodka. I've never tried it, but thought I'd pass the info along. Good luck and let us know what works for you!

__Jamie__ Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks for the tips guys. This will primarily be for gp and fondant accents.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 19

I've had good results with ECG gold highlighter. Here's a link to where I got it:

http://www.crawfordscreations.com/

Theresa is wonderful to do business with. HTH icon_smile.gif

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #8 of 19

Ok,
Here it is, go to www.auiswiss.com item number 204160 for the gold and they also have the silver.
I took a class with Bronwen Webber and she gave me the inside.
This product is non edible but is non toxic and you can only use it for accents not for the whole cake, if you need to color the whole cake use the luster dust or the gold spray paint.

Mix it with vodka and you have pure gold and silver color.

Here is the link http://www.auiswisscatalogue.com/204160/&search=gold+dust&offset=0&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=%20.html

Good luck

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 12:17am
post #9 of 19

I love Aztec Gold lustre dust, a lot of it mixed with just a touch of clear alcohol then painted on gives me the look I'm wanting. I used it for the crown of the Sleeping Beauty cake in my photos.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 1:14am
post #10 of 19

I usually use gold hilighter and alcohol. but for an AMAZING gold finish (if you have customers willing to pay extra) you can always get edible gold leaf (you can also get edible silver leaf). It's real gold (23k, usually) but it's truly edible... a lot of high end restaurants use it to accent desserts, but it can be used for cake accents as well... just be sure to charge for it!

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I usually use gold hilighter and alcohol. but for an AMAZING gold finish (if you have customers willing to pay extra) you can always get edible gold leaf (you can also get edible silver leaf). It's real gold (23k, usually) but it's truly edible... a lot of high end restaurants use it to accent desserts, but it can be used for cake accents as well... just be sure to charge for it!

Lol.....oh I've been eyeing that stuff too! So please then, which highlighter do you use, can you post a link? icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #12 of 19

I have some gold highlighter...I don't use it too much except small accents or on figures because its technically non edible.... I wouldn't airbrush it all over the cake. Its cool stuff though!

I've used the gold leaf at a catering place before...its really neat, looks great on cake ball/truffles. But its very thin and wispy and difficult to use in a controlled way, at least I think so. I wouldn't know how to use it to actually cover a fondant decoration.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:47am
post #13 of 19
Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #14 of 19

Has anyone ever tried the edible gold paint before?

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:04am
post #15 of 19

Those look like HUGE bottles too!!

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #16 of 19

The bottle is not that big is 3" tall by 1.5" wide but it has a lot of powder inside and a little bit goes a loooong way.

Like I said I only use it for smaller accents not for the whole cake.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:34am
post #17 of 19

Just went to order this. They wanted to charge $25 for shipping on orders totalling less than $195. Sale fail! womp wah...

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 12:53am
post #18 of 19

Thanks For This Info Guys

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 1:02am
post #19 of 19

Got the gold look I needed! Used my gold glaze, and gold dusted HEAVILY over that...yay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%