Last Cake Standing Down To Last Three

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 5 May 2009 , 3:52am by momsandraven

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:49am
post #121 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I'm pretty sure they have to bring the cakes on their own... I assume they just come prepared with every type they may think they'll need. Or maybe they bring something like large sheet cakes that can be carved to whatever shape they want...

I remember Buddy mentioning this on one of the threads a few months back. He said they bring there on cakes and that he now actually over bakes his cakes on purpose because they travel better that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

I think most of the time they come with a preconceived idea of what they're going to do, then they tailor it for the particular theme.

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

It takes the contestants days to make everything before they come. I've seen many times that something was either left behind or broken. I'm sure it take them quite a bit of money for the supplies.

I think Buddy mentioned something like this in his post too. He said something along the lines that the $10K actually isn't that much because they have to bring there own supplies and have them shipped/transported there as well.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #122 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeitdark

What a earth shattering conclusion it is to realize that anything white glows under blacklight--amazing!

I'm hereby annointing you the expert on blacklights and such, since I see your screen name is "I like it dark"!! icon_wink.gif

ChefHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefHeather Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 3:59am
post #123 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

This may be a really stupid question, but here goes!!! Where do they get the cake layers that they use? The shows always start with them having to come up with an idea right there on the spot, then the clock starts and they have to execute their idea.

So, again, where do the cakes come from? Are there already a bunch of pre-baked cakes in different shapes and sizes for them to choose from?

Maybe Chef Heather can chime in if no one else knows.

Thanks!

With most of the competitions you have some form of game plan going in... for mystery client it's different. The more flexibility you have, the better you will do in the comp. Take the example they said with Mary's cake - She had the preconceived egg shape but not much flexibility to give the client what they were looking for. Sometimes it's better to go with what you know, and sometimes better to just let it fly and pray! =)

ChefHeather Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:03am
post #124 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

I'm pretty sure they have to bring the cakes on their own... I assume they just come prepared with every type they may think they'll need. Or maybe they bring something like large sheet cakes that can be carved to whatever shape they want...

I remember Buddy mentioning this on one of the threads a few months back. He said they bring there on cakes and that he now actually over bakes his cakes on purpose because they travel better that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

I think most of the time they come with a preconceived idea of what they're going to do, then they tailor it for the particular theme.

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

It takes the contestants days to make everything before they come. I've seen many times that something was either left behind or broken. I'm sure it take them quite a bit of money for the supplies.

I think Buddy mentioned something like this in his post too. He said something along the lines that the $10K actually isn't that much because they have to bring there own supplies and have them shipped/transported there as well.

He's very right... That's why we drive... Can you imagine paying for shipping for over 1000 pounds of materials?? You give me a few red bulls and sunflower seeds and I'm good for days! =) It also keeps other people from handling the cakes. Usually rounds, squares, sheets will be used... you can NOT bring anything pre-sculpted or shaped... major no-no in the rule book. How can you prove that YOU really did that, and not some talented dishwasher you have hanging out back home. icon_confused.gif

ilikeitdark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilikeitdark Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #125 of 238

Ha....lol JGMB! Actually my screen name is about chocolate!! icon_lol.gif [/quote]

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:38am
post #126 of 238

Yes not everyone has time to post during their hectic days, except for Nanna types like me haha, I really dp need to get a life. icon_wink.gif

cakestress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestress Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 5:56am
post #127 of 238

Ummm... what's wrong with "newbies" anyway?

madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 6:15am
post #128 of 238

Yes I think newbies are wonderful. I e mailed Bronwen at her website and I was floored when she actually took the time to answer me. I think she is a sweetheart, and my husband said she's cute haha...........I think she has been really great through this entire challenge. She really should have won the bio cake. She is a class act. I like Michelle and was sad to see her go right off the bat...that was a shame.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:21am
post #129 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestress

I'm going to speak for Tita (until she has time to come on and speak for herself!) -- I'm sure she meant her post in the most positive way.

Newbies are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think she was just surprised at how many were responding. Does it mean that Cake Central is growing by leaps and bounds or that, for some reason, this topic just got everyone who has never posted before to jump in?

I think she was just curious, and I'm sure she's thrilled that everyone's having a nice discussion here.

(If that's not right, Tita, please correct me!)

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #130 of 238

((((((hugs all newbies)))))) Welcome! It's great to have you guys "pipe" in (pun intended icon_wink.gif) with your opinions and observations. That's what it's all about. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 1:10pm
post #131 of 238

Cakestress, Munchkin, this board in particular has had their fair share of trolls and hoaxes (often of course in the form of a newbie with an issue) so it makes one a little gun shy or newbie shy but dude everybody had to be a newbie at first right?

So warm welcome to yah. icon_biggrin.gif

I love your name--like seamstress or cakestress but emphasis on stress sometimes--very cool name.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #132 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestress

I'm going to speak for Tita (until she has time to come on and speak for herself!) -- I'm sure she meant her post in the most positive way.

Newbies are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think she was just surprised at how many were responding. Does it mean that Cake Central is growing by leaps and bounds or that, for some reason, this topic just got everyone who has never posted before to jump in?

I think she was just curious, and I'm sure she's thrilled that everyone's having a nice discussion here.

(If that's not right, Tita, please correct me!)

Absolutely no correction needed. As a matter of fact you probably said it better than I could anyway. Anyone who knows me (by my posts and in person), knows that I am a very welcoming person because surprisingly enough...I know it may shock all of you...I was once a newbie myself! I know, I know, you had no idea. icon_lol.gif

madgeowens Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #133 of 238

geeze Im glad we got all that cleared up, now lets get back to the show icon_smile.gif

ilikeitdark Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #134 of 238

I know who wins, I know who wins!!!!! tapedshut.gif

cakestress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestress Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #135 of 238

really??? how do you know? were you there? do tell icon_rolleyes.gif

ilikeitdark Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:23am
post #136 of 238

My friend was at the taping--everyone in the audience had to sign a confidentiality agreement.

madgeowens Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 5:58am
post #137 of 238

I don't want to ruin the outcome of the show........nooooo
We will find out Sunday...besides that person was not suppose to tell... icon_cry.gif

ilikeitdark Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:02am
post #138 of 238

Don't worry--i will not spoil it! It will be well worth the wait!!! icon_biggrin.gif

DeadwoodCakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeadwoodCakelady Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 6:06am
post #139 of 238

Madge, you are a hoot! hee-hee-hee!

arnab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arnab Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #140 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeitdark

I know who wins, I know who wins!!!!! tapedshut.gif

The question should be....Who are you? icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #141 of 238

She's a tease - THAT'S who she is!
rassa-frassa cake teaser!
icon_razz.gif

arnab Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #142 of 238

ha,ha,ha!!!! I will love to be on a taping of one challenge. Pleaso Do not tell I want to see it tomorrow and be able to bite my nails and all.

ilikeitdark Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #143 of 238

The challenge tapings are really fun to watch. It's neat to watch the show when they air to see what footage they use since they have 8+ hours of footage on each challenger. That's why it's so easy for them to focus on the "drama" of it all.

arnab Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 10:11pm
post #144 of 238

Yeah! Buddy was talking about the "drama" on challenges here in the forum. I bet that if there were no drama at all the show will not be as succesfull as it is. Even when they edited the interviews and the taping to look controversial, it is all part of the experience. Love it.

I do respect all the contestants and even though I simpatize with some of them more than others, I have heard of the friendliness among them all. I have a friend in Fl thar has work with some of them in events and she said they are all great people, very friendly and happy to show their habilities and special techniques. Which is very hard to find in this competitive world.

dreamdelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamdelights Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #145 of 238

I look forward to the reveal of the winner. I don't have a favorite but I could see Mary winning

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 25 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #146 of 238

I went to a cake show today in Texas and someone else told me they knew who won. But I didn't ask because I wanted to be surprised.

Can't wait!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:10am
post #147 of 238

Funny thing is, I can see each one winning as well as losing! They all have the good, the bad, the ugly, and I wish I had them skills!

Thanks Chef Heather for letting us know how little sleep the did get. I can not imagine the ordeal of it all. I hope it works in everyone's financial best interest in the long run. Politics aside, I think Bronwen is a great decorator and person. Wish her the best for me!

ChefHeather Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #148 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

Funny thing is, I can see each one winning as well as losing! They all have the good, the bad, the ugly, and I wish I had them skills!

Thanks Chef Heather for letting us know how little sleep the did get. I can not imagine the ordeal of it all. I hope it works in everyone's financial best interest in the long run. Politics aside, I think Bronwen is a great decorator and person. Wish her the best for me!

I most definatly will - =) Supposedly, if I heard correctly, they will be airing all 4 shows back to back tomorrow evening if anyone has missed an episode! =) Yay cake!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:00am
post #149 of 238

I haven't taken the time to read this thread, but just wanna say I am SO PSYCHED to watch tomorrow's episode!!! This has been a really awesome series of new challenges.

I am so tired though of how they are trying to give us the impression of grudges and drama through editing. You KNOW the people interviewing the contestants ask very pointed, direct questions, looking for specific answers, and then string it all out via editing to make it look like there's crap going on. I don't presume to know Bronwen, but you know darn good and well she's not sitting around talking mild "smack" about beating Mary. Seriously. I would SO rather they fill the precious 42 minutes of airtime with more footage of these artists in action than playing short clips of people's answers to specific, pointed questions which make it look all dramatic and diva-ish. Come on FN, give us some credit! We know these people aren't standing around with boxing gloves.

I think that two of the Top Three are exactly who should be there, and one of them is a little surprised to be there LOL. I would give my left arm to see Mary, Bronwen, Mike, and Colette together in one challenge. That would be the ULTIMATE challenge!

WOOHOO! 22 hours and 5 minutes til airtime!! icon_biggrin.gif

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 26 Apr 2009 , 1:46am
post #150 of 238

Ok, I just read this whole thread and am very confused by one small thing - who accidentally (or not) bumped someone's cake and damaged it? Which show was that on? I missed that completely.
I too was surprised by how little the judges jumped on the ball breaking on Mary's piece - they usually go nuts over stuff like that.
I'm so looking forward to tomorrow night's show - my mom's taping it for me so I can watch it all in peace since I'll be at work when it actually airs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%