Last Cake Standing Down To Last Three

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 5 May 2009 , 3:52am by momsandraven

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #31 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

The competition must be rough. Do they do it all in one or in segments. Bronwen does not look like she is feeling well, kinda pale and real tired looking. No bashing her, they all look like they have been run thru the mill.

I said the same thing to my hubby last night. I think these are back to back competitions. Elisa had eluded to that when she was eliminated that she had come prepared for the whole competition until the end. I think it was a marathon of several days for them all. They aren't getting much rest. I feel bad for Bronwen, she looks the most tired for sure.

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #32 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalhoun

I cant believe they didn't call Mary out for poor sportsmanship when she laughed because James had thought he made a mistake on the super hero. I am glad it turned out that he didn't and his super hero flew in the correct direction. I don't like Mary I think she is a bad sport. You didn't see Bronwen laughing when Mary was crying because she forgot her stand for her dragonfly aka cricket.

But you do see Bronwen making snarky comments about Mary in every episode. So, it sounds about even.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 5:34pm
post #33 of 238

Go Bronwen, Go Bronwen!!!!!

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:24pm
post #34 of 238

I agree Mary's & Courtney's cake was better skillwise, but I didn't like the "extreme" elements...you either saw the glowing effect and couldn't see the bubbles, smoke & cake itself...or you saw a cake with goo all over it - you couldn't see it all at once. As awesome as Bronwen & James' cake was, it really wasn't that extreme...we've all seen the spinning before, and the tallness wasn't even cake. The globe was amazing...Bronwen rocked that cake, James helped.
It was a bummer to see James go, but his talent does seem to be fondant & gumpaste and less piping & buttercream. The little cake he did was sad, not even a smooth ice. I'd love a tenth of his talent, however.
I love Mary & Bronwen both, and I hate all this for TV editing. No one but us cake fanatics would watch the show if they didn't have some drama. They ask them specific questions, you know, to get a certain response. I've always hated the contrived moving the cake "suspense." No one in their right mind would move some of these cakes in one piece. You assemble behemoths & breakable pieces on site. But they claim it's more realistic. I agree the cake has to be sturdy, but don't think they go about this the right way.
Honestly, though she does beautiful work, I've never been too impressed with Courtney's cakes challenge-wise. I was surprised to see the work she's been pulling off. Like the judges said, that hippo was great for her & her cake was definitely the best on #2.
I didn't get Elisa's first cake - I must've missed something. I thought she should've been voted off first. Michelle at least tried to meet the requirement. Her Revenge of Sock Monkey was my favorite cake challenge entry ever.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #35 of 238

Here is a recipe that has instructions to make glow in the dark jello. http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Edible-Glowing-UV-Reactive-JELLO/?&sort=NEWEST&limit=50&offset=50

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #36 of 238

If I hadn't seen this thread, I would not have known about the glow in the dark effect from tonic water. Amazing and fun stuff.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #37 of 238

I have to agree that I've noticed that Bronwen has really been making nasty comments about Mary since the challenge began.

I'm sure someone will chalk it up to editing, but if she never said half of the things they couldn't edit her to make her look like she's talking bad about Mary. I don't know if it's jealousy on Bronwen's part or bad blood that only they know about. It seems like in every episode, Bronwen is making digs about Mary's work or something she does. This week it was "I really don't want to be partners with Mary...two divas working together". Last week she referred to Mary's cake as suitable for a "grandma" followed by a roll of the eyes! What's that about?

I would seriously love the challenges minus all the drama and typical catfights.

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #38 of 238

When they told Courtney to choose a partner, Bronwen made a comment like 'I really don't want to be partnered w/Mary'. Then she told James something like ' At least we've both done this type of thing before & they haven't'

Heather425 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather425 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #39 of 238

i thought james and bronwen did a better job with teamwork and they came together to make a new character based on what they both had, but the cake was kinda simple. it was extreme in the sense that it was so big and moved, but still plain. mary and courtney both did their own thing and didnt work together at all but the cake that cake from their kitchen was great. the glow in the dark thing was cool and something new to a fn challenge. i think the final 3 are great and it will be exciting to see who wins!! thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #40 of 238

Bronwen and James cake in addition to flying hero they had fireworks, and it was extremely extreme.............I don't know that I would want to serve cake that glows to my family LOL I mean get out the geiger counter LOL..anyway I love Bronwen and I hope she wins....she deserves it, and IS the BEST CAKE ARTIST CONSISTENTLY.............GO BRONWEN thumbs_up.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #41 of 238

Honestly both cakes had their strong and weak points. Mary and Courtney's cake was beautifully sculpted and the facial expressions were stunning. I dont think they had much of the X factor, but the glow in the dark was pretty cool, I will have to admit.

Bronwen and James's cake was tall and spinning, more of that X factor there, but tThe only part of that figure that really looked good was the face, and Bronwen did that. Their hero's body looked a little weird, kinda noodly (my hubby's word not mine). The bottom tier was a little confusing and didnt really fit the theme IMO. I got the globe, which was fantastic, but the flowers and the factory was a little eh, so so, almost like an afterthought. They did work better as a team, but honestly if you split the work in half and each person does half, then arent you working together as a team?

I think Bronwen is just an easy-going fun-loving kind of person. She doesnt strike me as the controlling type like Mary. Mary is a lot like me. See something that needs to be done, then get it done kind of personality, its not a bad thing.

I think all along it was the producers idea to pit Bronwen against Mary. Bronwen is like THE cake goddess. Mary was a wild card that came in on one challenge and just took everyone's breath away, she has won every challenge she has competed in. I like them both, and I wish they would have more camraderie than the sniping back and forth at one another.

Us cake ladies should stick together!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:57pm
post #42 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynnw

The competition must be rough. Do they do it all in one or in segments. Bronwen does not look like she is feeling well, kinda pale and real tired looking. No bashing her, they all look like they have been run thru the mill.

I have noticed it the past two weeks. she looks run down. I really like her I hope she wins. She is really talented. I noticed last week and this week she has dark circles under her eyes and her eyes look so drained. I know they are under a lot of stress, bless her heart I feel for her.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #43 of 238

Bronwen probably only looks like that because she's not wearing any makeup. The camera will make you look older and flushed out if you don't at least put foundation on (not that I've been on camera) and I think she's skipping all of that to focus on the challenge. JMO though.

SweetHobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHobby Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #44 of 238

I thought both cakes were really good. The hippo was amazing, but so was the globe. I also thought that the factory polluting the flowers and the earth made sense with their superhero. I thought B and J should've won, imo.

I also think Bronwen should've won the first show with her autobiographical cake. That thing rocked.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:18am
post #45 of 238

Anything containing protein (like peanut butter) will glow under black light. We use it all the time at Halloween.

I'm not surprised things are getting testy... IT'S FOR $50,000 after all.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #46 of 238

well i've been routing for Bronwen since the beginning.

I think the only reason her and James didn't win the last challenge was because of the glow in the dark. If Mary hadn't pulled that off then i don't think there cake would have won.

As far as Mary crying, who wouldn't be if you thought you just screwed yourself out of the chance at $50,000 and more important the title.

I think the thing with Mary and Bronwen is about the talent, each knows they are the others equal and whats better then beating out your equal. And as far as Mary smiling about the superhero flying backwards, well thats the same as hearing you just won the challenge so whats not to smile about, Its not like her and Cortney were in their kitchen doing high fives over the others mistake.

The last thing i want to add, is everyone of the contests look tired and stressed. I wish them all the best, and would love to be in their league someday, of course i have about the same chance as a snowballs chance in hell. But a girls gotta have a dream.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 2:39pm
post #47 of 238

I missed the last show icon_cry.gif

I love all the artists work. However, since I live close to Michelle B. and Courtney I was rooting for them.
Bronwen and Mary are probably looking worse do to editing from the FN. However, there does seem to be a little something there between them as far as competitors, probably because of the Simpson's challenge.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #48 of 238

I just hope they didn't win because of the glow thing.
We've been doing that since the 1970s. It's nothing new at all. You use quinine or peanut butter and it glows under black light. Image

madgeowens Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #49 of 238

This Sunday there is a Last Cake Challenge marathon leading up to the final show......yeeha...GO BRONWEN

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #50 of 238

OK - just giving my 2 cents:

I agree with some of the previous posters... the glow-in-the-dark thing wasn't so great considering that a lot of things glow under a black light. And like someone else posted... if the overheads were off and the black light was on, you couldn't see the smoke or the bubbles, so it was self-defeating.

I think Mary and Courtney's cake was "prettier". I thought the carving of the hippo was technically more difficult than the carving of a sphere, and that the sculpting of the dragonfly was better than the sculpting of the superhero guy. I didn't think the extremeness of either cake was all that great, personally. You can stick sparklers on any cake, and we've all seen spinning things and bubbles and smoke. To me, there wasn't anything particularly extreme about either one of them.

I think Mary and Bronwen have a competetive spirit that may get the best of them at times, but who hasn't said a quick little snide comment that we would be horrified about if it were broadcast to millions!? I didn't find Bronwen's comment about not wanting to work with Mary to be all that offensive... she didn't think "two divas" (herself included) could work together. BTW - Mary AND Courtney both smiled and laughed about the super hero possibly flying the wrong way issue.

I've been enjoying the challenges and can't wait to see who wins! I think all 3 are VERY talented and any one of them could pull it out in the end.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #51 of 238

Ok - i may get cyber-killed by all the Bronwen fans, but I am actually a little sick of Bronwen. I havent watched a lot of challenges because I only got interested in caking and discovered these shows recently. SO maybe I dont have the back story to everything. But honestly, in this challenge almost EVERY SINGLE TIME Bronwen is on camera commenting she says something about Mary with a negative feel to it. I can understand she feels Mary is her biggest competition, but it gets annoying when you keep whining about it and Mary this and Mary that and keep reminding everyone all you think about is Mary. While Mary is getting on with winning this thing! She really needs to stop talking about Mary. Mary on the other hand hardly ever brings up Bronwen.

About the cakes, I agree that Bronwen and James worked better together. And while it seems like most people think it's a plus they reworked their plans completely, I really dont think it's a negative at all that Mary and Courtney worked with what they had - isnt that just smart? And maybe that's why they didnt need to communicate that much beacuse each was focussing on their strengths and just did what they needed to do. I thought the winning cake was prettier. It just appealed to me better than the other cake although Bronwen's cake was spectacular.

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #52 of 238

I have to add my two cents on this and remember this is my opinion, so don't bash me. On the first episode, it was Bronwen bashing Mary, Mary bashing Courtney. I think that there are some questions posed to all the competitors about each other and then it was edited so that it appears as though each one is bashing one in particular.

As to the last episode, I think that Mary and Courtney deserved the win. Forget about the glow-in-the-dark factor. It was a more technical cake - the sculpting was phenomenal. Yes, Bronwen's globe was unbelievable because of the way it was done, but that was about it for their cake. If I looked at their cake at eye level, all you saw was this globe and some factories. Your eyes had to travel allllll the up before you saw this really weak looking superhero. On the other hand, Mary and Courtney's cake made you want to look to see what else was on it. Neither of the cakes were extreme for me - we've seen it all before. As for snide remarks, when you are in a competition and under pressure, it's kind of a relief that someone else is screwing up - you have the advantage and you want to win! I am currently in a physical competition, a mixture of guys and gals with no advantage because of age of gender. The females are always bashing the guys and we are all high-fiveing each other when a guy gets eliminated (and it's an individual competition). It's not meant to be rude - it's part of our competitive spirit. It's just unfortunate that the cameras focused on that.

All the people on the show are extremely talented and anyone deserves the win. Good luck to all three - may the better woman win.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:15pm
post #53 of 238

I did love the comment Bronwen made that the judge should have a tape recorder that says, "And the winner is Mary Maher...." That made me laugh out loud literally.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 8:19pm
post #54 of 238

I thought that both cakes were awesome...but I just really like Mary's and Courtney's better. It just had so much detail and was so cute! I'm sorry to see James go home though. I really like him!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #55 of 238

Going back to the challange that Courtney won, I really thought she was aware that she had damaged the other contestents cake, and didn't say anything about it, and acted so innocent when it was mentioned. She does good work, but I would have chosen Bronwen's cakes, both of them how someone can ask for an autobiographical cake, and then choose another cake when it was made for them, is beyond me. Browwen and James worked together well, and made a great cake. Mary and Courtney, looked like they could have done the other one in at times, and only really seemed together in what they were doing, was when they laughed about the idea of Bronwen and James, super hero going in the wrong direction.

I hope Bronwen wins it all.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 10:32pm
post #56 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I missed the last show icon_cry.gif

I love all the artists work. However, since I live close to Michelle B. and Courtney I was rooting for them.
Bronwen and Mary are probably looking worse do to editing from the FN. However, there does seem to be a little something there between them as far as competitors, probably because of the Simpson's challenge.

Here are the re-run times:

Apr 22, 2009 7:00 PM ET/PT
Apr 25, 2009 2:00 PM ET/PT
Apr 26, 2009 7:00 PM ET/PT

All 4 shows will run back to back starting at 5:00 PM ET/PT on
Apr 26, 2009.

Here's a synopsis of the final eposide according to tvguide.com:

Last Cake Standing: Sweet 16 Sextuplets - Food Network Challenge
Conclusion. The three finalists have 24 hours to make 5-foot-tall birthday cakes for a set of sextuplets who are turning 16. Then the winner of the $50,000 grand prize is announced.

Can't wait to see it!

madgeowens Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #57 of 238

OMG I am so excited ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh can hardly wait until Sunday.

Go Bronwen......win it all girl

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #58 of 238

When the shows have been coming on, I have been going in the bedroom and telling my husband NOT to disturb me.

I am just amazed at Bronwen's work. The face she put on James' superhero was fantastic. And the way she modeled the fondant on the globe to make the continents was just perfect. I am in awe of her and her work. She is really a true cake artist.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:17am
post #59 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Here's a synopsis of the final eposide according to tvguide.com:

Last Cake Standing: Sweet 16 Sextuplets - Food Network Challenge
Conclusion. The three finalists have 24 hours to make 5-foot-tall birthday cakes for a set of sextuplets who are turning 16. Then the winner of the $50,000 grand prize is announced.

Can't wait to see it!

oh, snap! that's gonna rock

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 6:32am
post #60 of 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I need this emoticon! I can think of at least 25 emails a day I could use this for as a reply! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%