Really Worried - Had A Bad Cake Week :-(

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 1:54am by CookiezNCupcakez

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 15

Im so glad this week is ending. had horrible cakes to so this week Ben 10 and Power Rangers Urggh, an old man in a chair (turned out ok in the end) and the cake i was really looking forward to - a baby girl christening ended up a complete nightmare as i made a total mess trimming the fondant and had gaping holes round the base which i had to cover with a double border and loads of roses and bows. turned out cute in the end but i couldnt even enjoy making it!!

last night i decided to have a go at practicing for my first wedding cake in august which is a three tier sunflower and ivy stacked cake. for a start im now buying ivy already made up (see pic its only £0.55 each) cause it was COMPLETE DISASTER - took so long and kept breaking the ivy when i tried to wrap florist tape round the wires so it just looked horrible. also my sunflowers were hideous and really fake looking so i had another go at fixing them (see picture below).

im really worried i just cant do this, i feel like ive taken on too much saying il do this wedding cake when im still makiing mistakes like not trimming the bases properly and i still get bulges and i cant even make ivy!! just feel so sad and depressed, cant be bothered to do anything today even though i have 4 orders for next week and i should be baking chocolate cakes, cupcakes and making caterpillar and baby figures and a load of daisys. just want to sit and cry, i think its worse because the wedding is for a girl at work's big sister and the family is very well off and the wedding is in a 5 star hotel so the pressure is really on. They did get the 2 tier sunflower cake in my pics so i suppose they sort of know what to expect but at least i could cover any mistakes on that cake with the flowers! this wedding one is so plain its scary. nowhere to hide!

sorry for the very long vent, im just very very scared at doing this wedding cake and weeks like this dont help icon_sad.gif
LL
LL
LL

14 replies
CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 15

Your cake looks fantastic! We are always are own worst critics... Youll be fine, just relax! thumbs_up.gif

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 15

take a deep breath....
Now, your work is STUNNING!! Sure, maybe you make mistakes, but you obviously know how to recover and delivery a gorgeous cake. I totally understand the pressure, but remember that you are your harshest critic!
You have plenty of time to practice for that wedding cake. Maybe you can get ivy somewhere else if that isn't working for you? Considering how beautiful your sunflowers are, I kind of have a feeling that it would only take a little practice for you to make your own gorgeous ivy, but that's beside the point. Whether you make or buy it you have the skills to make a gorgeous cake.
You MUST remember that you have loads of talent and you do beautiful work. Don't let a bad week bring you down!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 15

it looks fine don't worry. Put the week behind you we have all been there.
Today I am making a cake for a lady that I had made one for about two years ago. she had a cake disaster cake. I appoligized and she keeps coming back. So keep caking

Cathy26 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 15

thanks everyone, i have tears in my eyes just writing this i dont know whats wrong with me, maybe PMT, just hate feeling like this like im a fraud and shouldnt be taking wedding cakes orders when im obviously not ready for it - what if its bulgy and a disaster and they hate it.... i can totally see why so many people here dont do wedding cakes - lol

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 15

Cathy24, now I'm no pro here, definitely NOT by a long shot -but I think those pics look absolutely gorgeous. Not saying it just to boost you up, they honestly look fantastical (as my lil sis would say, lol), so I think you'll have no problem pulling it off. When I get down in the dumps about my cakes I always try to revert back to a statement I read somewhere or heard from one of the pros. It goes something like "the difference between the hobbyist and the professional chef is simply that the professional knows how to go back and fix their mistakes, whereas the hobbyist does not." Guess what? That fuels the fire for me and gets me into challenge-myself mode. I think to myself "well if they can do it hell, so can I" & in the end it all ends up working out. I'll know you'll pull it off beautifully. But if you don't attempt it then you'll never know for yourself, right?

catcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catcreations Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 15

don't worry! it will all come together and you will get through it. Don't be so hard on yourself, you have beautiful work and maybe just maybe taking today to refresh is just what you need. God bless!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 15

I think the cake is great...your sunflowers are awesome. Btw, did you take the picture in the bathtub? I actually think that's a great idea - so long as the tub is clean!

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 15

I just looked through your pics and I don't know what you are worried about! Your cakes are beautiful! Your fondant is smooth, your figures are adorable and your designs are great. You have nothing to fear but fear itself. You are going to do wonderful and they are lucky to have you to make their cake! I only hope that someday I can do the same quality of work that you do.

mommy_of_3_DDs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 15

Your work is beautiful! You need to take a short break... even if it's just a couple hours and revive yourself... do something that makes you feel wonderful, read a book, take a bath, go for a walk... just breathe! After you relax for a few you will be able to come back and feel better about your cakes. Again your work is beautiful!

Cathy26 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 15

thanks again everyone, and yes the pics are taken in a bathtub - its the best place ive found!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 15

Your flowers don't looks bad... the only thing I can see is that your GP is really thick. If you roll it thinner then they will seem more realistic, but they aren't horrible at all.

You are feeling defeated... it happens to us all. Don't think you can't do this though. icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 15

i think making the leaves is easy, wiring them into a display it the trickiest bit. but thats why you make loads of spares, and have plenty of edible glue!
dont know what you have done in the way of classes, but maybe that would help you? just to give you some pointers, i know my teacher was pretty specific on how to wrap the wires.
i hope you get over this hump soon, cause all your stuff turns out great in the end!
xx

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #14 of 15

I love your cake! The sunflowers are so beautiful!!!!!!!!!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

thanks again everyone, and yes the pics are taken in a bathtub - its the best place ive found!!

HAHAHA I did not even realize!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%