I Am Sooo Confused!

Decorating By Cables4fun Updated 20 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm by saap1204

Cables4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cables4fun Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 27

Hi Everyone,

I am writing because I am so confused. I would like to make a folk doll, kind of like Raggedy Ann. Between fondant, gumpaste, sugarpaste, modeling clay, etc... I do not know which I need!!

Someone PLEASE help me with all of these terms. I do not know what I need to mix with what to create modeled figures that are actually edible, but that I can make in advance and color. Something that will keep! Do I need to keep in fridge? Can it stay on the counter or in a shoe box?

PLEASE just tell me someone, what to mix, how to color and how to keep!!

Thank you in advance for your help!! I am a bit overwhelmed!!

Lauri

26 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 27

I lauri

for my figures i use fondant mixed with gumtex. but most people use a mix of 50/50 fondant and gumpaste i just use what works best for me you can just use food coloring of any sort to color you fondant start out with a little bit and than if you want to go darker add more. No you do not need to put them in the fridge you can just leave them in a dark place if you put them in the sunlight for to long the colors will fade. hope this helps and good luck.

shelly

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 27

I'm only new to this stuff myself, but from what I understand, fondant and sugarpaste are actually the same stuff. And I assume that gumpaste and modelling clay are essentially the same too. If you want the figures to be edible (actually eaten) then just use fondant. Gumpaste sets really hard (like a rock) and is really foul tasting if you can actually bite through it! You keep it in a cardboard box in a dark, cool place (not the fridge). Dry it on a sheet of foam.

Also, you can spend a bit longer working with fondant as it dries slower. Gumpaste dries REALLY quick and most experienced decorators recommend we newbies stay away from it until we have the modelling thing down pat. (When I say quick, I mean it dries while you are still working with it in your fingers - have to know exactly what you are doing and no time to mess around tweaking this bit and that). Make sure you keep any piece of fondant/gumpaste that you aren't working with in your hand at that moment covered. To colour it, use gel colours and a toothpick to lightly dab and then work in. Colours deepen so wrap it tightly in cling wrap and leave it overnight until the colour finishes taking.

But best thing to do is go and buy or borrow a cake book - there's heaps out there. Lindsay Smith just started a new cake mag over here and it has a detailed section on how to do it or have a look through the tutorials and articles on this site and also check out you tube.

Oh yeah, my instructor said that if you think that kids will actually eat it, use a raw spagetti stick as your support so that it really is entirely edible.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 27

I'm fairly new at this, but I just finished making 3 3D figures. I used 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. Colored my fondant with wilton's color. It was very easy to work with. I did keep crisco in a dish next to me. If it got sticky, I just rubbed it on my hands and on the marble square I was using for rolling small items (just takes a little). I found glueing pieces together a little difficult. Definitely let the crisco absorb before trying to glue. I just used water. Wish I had some of the edible glue everyone talks about, but can't find it. I made apples several days ago, and with advice from others here, I have stored them in a cardboard box, not the refrigerator. I've not tried painting on the fondant, but have seen a lot of great photos in the gallery using icing colors and alcohol.

Good luck and don't let yourself be overwhelmed. I'm sure you'll do well. i had a lot of fun today and my 14 year old son even got into it. icon_biggrin.gif

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 27

I've only ever used marshmallow fondant (MMF) to sculpt, which is a lot like regular fondant. It does take some time to dry - which is beneficial as a PP mentioned if you are new and need to tweak this or that - but usually, it will be hard enough to support itself within a few days.

While drying a figure, I will support it to the position I need with different things on hand either under it or behind it. I've made several different figures - people as well as a Gordon train from Thomas (see my photos) and have done it all with MMF. The great thing with MMF is that it is totally edible and yummy too.

Store in dry, cool place, preferrably covered and away from sun.

HTH & have fun with it! icon_smile.gif

**edited to add**

Here a few that I've done all with MMF:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1348704

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1336318

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1291466

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 27

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that sugarpaste is the same thing as gumpaste, but that it's just the Bristish/Australian version of it. =o)

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that sugarpaste is the same thing as gumpaste, but that it's just the Bristish/Australian version of it. =o)

I mean, I think it's the same thing, only called two different things by different countries. (Hopefully, that explains what I mean better).

lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

I mean, I think it's the same thing, only called two different things by different countries. (Hopefully, that explains what I mean better).

I've heard fondant referred to as sugarpaste also. But I do think it is more commonly used to refer to gumpaste.

Melnick Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 27

I am Aussie. We call it fondant. I did a cake course a couple of weeks ago and the instructor told us sugarpaste was another name for fondant. To turn sugarpaste into gumpaste you just add a little tylose or gum tracanth to it. I did a google search and most results came back as saying fondant was sugarpaste but there was also a site that said sugarpaste was another name for gumpaste. I think it might just depend on who you talk to as to what they call it.

lostincake Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 27

LOL...I think we may be confusing OP more hehe icon_biggrin.gif

Melnick Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:28am
post #11 of 27

I think you might be right! Sorry! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:54am
post #12 of 27

I also agree that most of us would call sugarpaste fondant not gumpaste.

Cables4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cables4fun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 2:07am
post #13 of 27

To all of you who responded to my plea: THANK YOU SO MUCH!! icon_smile.gif

I think I have finally figured it out!! Thank you all, for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am so sorry I was not online to get back to you right away, but I had to go fix dinner!!

Anyway, thanks again, you do not know how much I appreciate it!!

Lauri icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 9:25am
post #14 of 27

to make edible glue, you can just dissolve a blob of fondant with a little hot water.
and as a uk-er, if people say sugar paste, then generally mean fondant, if they say flower paste they mean gumpaste. although to be honest, i think most of us say fondant (or roll out icing) and gumpaste.
xx

Harleyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harleyfan Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 10:48am
post #15 of 27

I have a quick question about fondant also. I hope it's ok to ask here...

I've read that some people don't like the way fondant tastes and others say it's pretty good. I'm assuming there are recipes for fondant and I have seen a couple here (I'm sure there are more. Still being very new to this site, I haven't had time to do a lot of searching). I know Wilton's makes fondant. I've heard some say it has a terrible smell.

Would anyone be willing to share their expertise? I'd like to know if there is a particular fondant that tastes better than another and also if someone would point me in the direction of a good tasting recipe for the MMF and regular fondant. I've not used either yet, but I'd like try one of them on my next cake. I'd also like to practice making the edible figures.

Help?!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #16 of 27

Wow, Vlin28...you're excellent!!!

Fondant: Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant (most updated version of that recipe is on this website.) I made a batch just yesterday. Quick and easy to make, very nice finished product.
HTH!

underthesun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:33am
post #17 of 27

Harleyfan: my favorite fondant recipe is MFF (Michele Fosters Fondant). It's easy and although I'm one of those who will peel the fondant off before I eat my slice, it tastes pretty good. My kids love it. I make mine with 6 oz of white chocolate for extra stability and taste. I haven't ever tried MMF, so no help there.
www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

I've just started making 3D figures. There are a few utube videos which are a little help. This ones on faces. It was helpful.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKO5lGH6xP4&feature=channel_page

I made my first man and then spent hours looking studying the 3D gallery at how people formed their clothes. Made my first woman (clothing much better) and realized I needed help on arms, so I went back to the galleries - still having a little trouble there and the mouth, but they are looking much better than that first man. This is one I made yesterday. Made another one other yesterday trying to perfect the arms. Arm broke this morning. Having fun making them.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1349453

Harleyfan Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:47am
post #18 of 27

Thank you sweetjan and underthesun!! I'll save that recipe and give it my best try. icon_biggrin.gif Underthesun... thanks for adding the links!

Anyone... on the MMF?

Can't wait to hear back!!

Harleyfan Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:54am
post #19 of 27

BTW... is there a generic table for recipe yield vs. cake size? If so, is it the same for all icings or does each recipe yield a different amount because of consistency?

Anxious to learn!!! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks!!!

underthesun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 11:58am
post #20 of 27

Harleyfan - not sure about icing. There is a table on wilton site about batter amounts for cake pan size. I generally find that recipes yield different amounts. Is that what you're asking?

www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Harleyfan Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #21 of 27

I'm sorry... wasn't as clear as I could've been.

I'm asking about icing recipe yield. Example: if I'm making a basic 9" round double layer cake, would one base icing recipe yield enough to comfortably and completely cover the cake? Then, overall.... how would I gage how much icing I need to make vs. cake size... however much it may be? i.e. How much icing for a square three tier (10"/8"/6" for example) cake or for a round two tier (8"/6")? Not looking for exact numbers, just a guide or table that I can use to guesstimate.

Thanks!

underthesun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:41pm
post #22 of 27

Oh, I'm sorry for my confusion. Not enough coffee this morning. However, this wilton chart also has the approximate icing needed by cake pan size. This particular chart is for 2" pans but wilton also has charts for other depths. Hope this helps!

underthesun Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #23 of 27

brincess: thanks for sharing your glue recipe. I'm going to make it right now and see if I can get this arm back on. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 12:55pm
post #24 of 27

I am certainly not an expert, but I think that Wilton fondant tastes like something that could have resulted from a nuclear waste spill. It's awful tasting and smelling--very chemical. Having said that, my husband said it doesn't taste so bad to him. So many opinions!
I love to eat marshmallow fondant, but many people do not like it. I have not tried any of the other recipes or the ready-made fondants yet.

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #25 of 27

Oh you just opened the box lol. You are going to find that everyone has a fondant that they preffer the taste of. As for me, I like the taste and texture of Fonderific and use the fruit flavors for the flowers and smaller aqccents that a child may want to grab and eat. BUT, when I make figures I use wilton because people allways pull the figures off and either keep them or throw them away ( i cringe when I see a child munching on a big ball of fondant yuck) and I don't want to waste my money on the yummy fondant for modeling figures so I just keep a box of wilton in the cabinet for that purpose. Once you have colored it and you have some left over, wipe the outside of the ball of fondant with shortening and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap then store it in a ziplock bag in a cool place for the next time you need some. I have one of the Reynolds bag sealers and they work great to ensure you get the excess air out of the bags.

lostincake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #26 of 27

**Wow thanks sweetjan for the compliment icon_biggrin.gif**

And my favourite MMF recipe is...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html

...and I just add about a tsp vanilla & a tbsp corn syrup.

Also a lot have good things to say about how Rhonda's Ultimate MMF tastes but I personally didn't like it for modelling. This is the link...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

saap1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #27 of 27

I have used both marshmallow fondant and Michele Fosters fondant. I prefer Michele Foster's fondant because it consistently comes out the right way and is not as sweet as the marshmallow fondant (don't get me wrong, it still is sweet!). Both taste very good. I have used Michele's for flowers and they came out great--dried nicely and held their shape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%