What Do You Think Of This?

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 2:44am by kakeladi

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 5

My cousin will be 8 yo in about a month and wants me to do her cake. She wants butterflies and flowers. So I am going to make 6 individual 1 layer cakes each approximately 8 inches. so I guess that would make enough to feed the same as 3 2 layer, 8 inch round cakes which would work bc I will need to feed between 20 and 30 people (not sure yet how many).

What I want to do it make 3 flowers and 3 butterflies. I will make kind of a table scape. I will cover large cake board with green and the other with blue (like grass and a blue sky). The butterflies will be "flying" above the flowers. I will pipe the flower steps directly onto the board when I get to the party as well as the antenna on the butterlies.

I have never seen anyone do this, but I was wondering what you all thinkg. My cousin and aunt like the idea though lol. Anything I might be able to add to it?

TIA

4 replies
SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 5

It sounds like a really cool idea. I would think it would feed the same amount the cake is just split up instaed of stacked. You could also do 6" 2 layer cakes it would feed a little more and fit on a smaller cake board but still be big enough to give you the table scape you would like to do. I think your idea sounds graet and will be unique.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 5

A filled single layer 8" round cake will serve at least 10 people comfortably. You really only need three of those to feed 30 people. Draw an 8" circle on a piece of paper and then draw lines where you'd cut it and you'll see how many pieces you can get. It sounds to me like you're planning on way too much cake.

Just my 2 cents worth...

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 5

Yea, there will probably be lots of leftovers. I read that a 2 layer 8inch cake contains 15 servings. So I would have enough to feed 45 people, thats not subtracting how much will be taken out when I carve the cakes. So there will be some extra, but not as much as it sounds like. icon_smile.gif

I actually have another idea now for a 2 teired cake...there will probably be more leftovers with that lol, but I think my cousin might like it better. It is a little more grown up.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #5 of 5

........read that a 2 layer 8inch cake contains 15 servings........
Actually it will serve more like 25.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%