Amoretti Samples...

Decorating By pinkflower1212 Updated 16 Apr 2010 , 7:45pm by sweetcreationsbiz

pinkflower1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkflower1212 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 52

I just received my samples, and was just wondering from all other CCers who got theirs if they have used them, and if so, what did or didn't you like about them. Any favorites?

51 replies
stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 52

loved tiramisu/capuccino, kahlua and strawberry. mixed them into WASC... didn't care for passion fruit. I wanted to order the capuccino, strawberry and a chocolate one... they were over $50 each for a 2.2lb tub. I wish they weren't so expensive, or sold in smaller quantities. someone did a review in the last couple of weeks of what they've tried. it will probably come up if you do a search. If I find it, I'll post the link.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 52

Stephanie, have the people from Amoretti called you? I've received a few calls asking if I want to order, and they don't like taking "no" for an answer! I told them that I can't justify the cost, but they won't leave me alone. thumbsdown.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 52

no not all! i have received a few friendly emails from them but that was about it. I was thinking we should all write to them and suggest making smaller jars and maybe distributing them through global sugar art and the rest of the regular retailers we frequent, that way we can actually afford them!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 52

May I ask what samples? and how do you get to buy them I would like to try them I have not been on here for a while computer not working well.

stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 52

http://www.amoretti.com/

contact these guys and just tell the you're interested in their products and want to get more information. they'll send you a box of samples.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 52

Thank You Stephaniescakenj

tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 52

I have tried the Strawberry and love it. I added it to strawberry cake pops and it really enhanced the flavor. If I do order it will probably be that.

I hope to have more time to try them out.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #9 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

no not all! i have received a few friendly emails from them but that was about it. I was thinking we should all write to them and suggest making smaller jars and maybe distributing them through and the rest of the regular retailers we frequent, that way we can actually afford them!

I think that's a great idea! I didn't even think to tell the Amoretti rep this, but I would definitely buy more if it were in smaller quantities.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:17pm
post #10 of 52

I've tried the tiramisu/capuccino and kahlua so far. Both tasted fantastic! One downside is that it took quite a bit of the compound to get the desired flavor. It's something to consider when factoring in the high cost of the product. I used the kahlua in a chocolate mousse, and the compound appeared to break down the mousse somewhat. The product is supposed to be great for mousses. However, I was a little disappointed with how the product reacted. Although the flavors are good, to me it's not worth the cost. I'm just as satisfied with less expensive flavorings. In my opinion, this is a product line for bigger bakeries or restaurants unless you want to establish high-end, gourmet flavors with a higher per serving cost. JMHO... icon_biggrin.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 1:29pm
post #11 of 52

I just got my samples the other day -- 15 of them.

They sent basil oil amongst some other things that I may never use, such as passionfruit and mimosa compounds. I told the lady that I wanted some basic flavors such as butter and vanilla and citrus extracts/compounds/emulsions for cake batter and icing, and I only got one sample of a Madagascar vanilla paste with vanilla bean specks and some orange zest oil.

They do have the 2.2 pound jars of stuff available, but she didn't send me a price list, as she said they are currently updating it.

Here's what I got:
Cappuccino-Tiramisu Compound
European Style Premium Blanched Almond Paste (that was yummy!)
Blanched Almond Flour
Raspberry Framboise Compound
Wild Strawberry Compound
Wild Strawberry Swirl
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Compound with Seeds
Raspberry Extract - does not smell good or raspberry-y at all
Orange Zest Oil
Pineapple Compound
Basil Oil Extract (you know how good basil cake and buttercream are! LOL)
Creme di Kahlua Compound
Limoncello Liqueur Flambe (because I regularly flambe my cakes)
Passionfruit Swirl
Mimosa Compound

I may go through the catalog and call back to ask if she could send a few samples of things I would actually use, and I will offer to pay for the samples and/or shipping.

pinkflower1212 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I just got my samples the other day -- 15 of them.

I may go through the catalog and call back to ask if she could send a few samples of things I would actually use, and I will offer to pay for the samples and/or shipping.

I didn't received as many as you did, icon_sad.gif but I did receive Prickly Pear. It's a cactus! So with your Basil & Buttercreme, and my Prickly Pear with Choco Ganache, we will win the Bake Off for most exotic flavor combos. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

The Customer Service Rep that helped me did tell me that I can call back and request other samples, since they want you to be happy with something before you order so that you are not "stuck" with it. So try it and let us know. The worse they can do is tell you no.

I will be experimenting this weekend. I also received the Orange Zest Extract Oil - It's very Orangey smelling, but was wondering, since it's an oil, I can use it the same way as I would the LoRann oils yes - only with these you are supposed to weigh your ingredients out and then use 3-5% of the total weight of the recipe. Like I know how much my cake recipe weighs?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #13 of 52

I called and she wouldn't send me samples because I didn't own a business or work for a company =( Maybe she was having a bad day!

Cakepro Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

I called and she wouldn't send me samples because I didn't own a business or work for a company =( Maybe she was having a bad day!

No, she was doing her job. icon_smile.gif This company sells in bulk quantities to businesses.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 52

CakePro - You got the EXACT same box as me!!! EXACTLY right down to the basil oil! Maybe becoz I had told her the EXACT same thing!!
Ive been thinking about that basil oil - maybe on some white pizza?? That would be yummy icon_smile.gif hmmmmm Now to figure just WHAT to do with some of the others!!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #16 of 52

i got my original box of samples and recently requested and received an additonal delivery with more specific samples. i have had nothing but the best experience with the rep i've worked with. i'm pretty sure they sell in smaller quantities, just email or call and ask. i have used several of the samples so far in cake batter, mousse and ice cream and have had good results with all.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Stephanie, have the people from Amoretti called you? I've received a few calls asking if I want to order, and they don't like taking "no" for an answer! I told them that I can't justify the cost, but they won't leave me alone. thumbsdown.gif

I received emails at first, but have now been getting the pushy phone calls. Your product can be really good, but if you're pushy, I'm not ordering. I too can't justify the cost, and don't need the really large quantities.

pinkflower1212 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 1:26am
post #18 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

i got my original box of samples and recently requested and received an additonal delivery with more specific samples. i have had nothing but the best experience with the rep i've worked with. i'm pretty sure they sell in smaller quantities, just email or call and ask. i have used several of the samples so far in cake batter, mousse and ice cream and have had good results with all.

So what flavors did you get? Which ones are worth requesting IYO?

Tashablueyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tashablueyes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:04am
post #19 of 52

I requested Pear and Marshmallow compounds. I tasted each with a toothpick and they both tasted awesome... but as for using them in cakes I'm not sure yet. They send out a standard case of samples and then just add in the additional items requested. You'd think they'd make up a "pastries" kit and a more general kit for you to choose from. I made cupcakes swirled with the Kahlua in the batter and also in the icing and those were really yummy. I also did a batch of strawberry swirled with strawberry icing and they tasted pretty much EXACTLY like strawberry icing. Then I made a batch of passionfruit swirled cupcakes with passionfruit icing. Not my favorite. They were boring with just a weird aftertaste.

Also I noticed that they have Baristella coffee flavors and I asked if she'd send me a few flavors and I LOVE their Lite coffee syrups. They sent them in these cute tiny bottles with actual pumps. I was far more impressed with those than with the compounds, and would actually use them in cakes too.

crystalina1977 Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #20 of 52

I will have to get back re all the flavors I've actually received. I don't know that they have a standard box they send out as per Tashablueyes reply, I received a box and someone I know received a box and while we received several of the same flavors his box was quite different from mine. He got 30-40 different flavors of small glass jars, maybe 1 oz jars or so. Mine were mush larger glass jars maybe 3-4 oz and I got 15-20 plus I got 3 very large plastic tubs of various things.

As far as the flavors I've used so far, I've used french vanilla extract in a batch of NFSC; hazlenut compund in mousse and cake (next time I'll use the hazlenut pralinosa, I got a giant plastic tub of that suff); pineapple compound in pineapple upside down cake; banana compound in banana bread (best ever); wild strawberry swirl in vanilla ice cream.

After I received my samples I went through the catalog and marked off everything that I could use for my specific recipes. I got back in touch with Nayre, the lady I've been working with at Amoretti, and gave her the list. She sent me 8 new samples from my list.

They also sell fondant which I requested a sample of but did not receive. I am interested to taste it.

pinkflower1212 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 1:19am
post #21 of 52

Used the Orange Zest Extract Oil today for Orange Dreamcicle. It is super yummy! It made it take like I was eating an orange right off the tree! Had to fend the kids off to get the cakes into the oven. Have a Strawberry Swirl that I am looking at using in a Strawberry Lemonaide cake. Come On Summer!

edited to add: Used the Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Compound with Seeds for my Buttercreme. Oh My Goodness icon_surprised.gif or as my youngest says Holy Cow! icon_eek.gif I am definately buying this in the 2.2 lb container.

crystalina1977 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 52

OK finally went through what I've received:

large plastic tubs of hazlenut praline; hazlenut pralinosa; premium blanched almond paste.

large glass jars of dulce de leche industrial compound; crema di hazlenut ind. comp.; crema di tiramisu ind. comp.; cappuccino tiramisu ind. comp.; pineapple swirl; raspberry framboise marbelizing swirl; wild strawberry swirl; wild strawberry comp.

small glass jars of crema di kahlua ind. comp.; cappuccino tiramisu ind. comp.; milk chocolate ganache; coconut swirl; passionfruit swirl; banana comp.; pineapple comp.; banana extract; raspberry framboise comp.; raspberry ext.; strawberry ext.; raspberry comp.; wild strawberry comp.; wild strawberry swirl; madagascar bourbon vanilla comp. with seeds; lemon swirl; mimosa comp.; chai tea comp.; blanched almond flour; french almond silver coated dragees; orange zest oil ext.; limoncello liquer flambe; french vanilla ext.; basil oil ext.; european style premium blanched almond paste.

sounds like my next project ought to be something raspberry flavored.

Cakepro Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #23 of 52

Good Lord, did you ask for all of those or was the rep just feeling super generous?!

Jakap2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jakap2 Posted 22 Apr 2009 , 10:51pm
post #24 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

No, she was doing her job. icon_smile.gif This company sells in bulk quantities to businesses.

This is so not true. I called Amoretti and when they asked I told them I have NO company, just do it for friends and family and I DID receive several samples and catalog. I also called them about some prices since catalog didn't include them and ordered few products in 2.2lb jars. Along with few more samples...
All people that I talked to were very nice and I received 1 E-mail since then just to see if I'm happy with products. I plan to order some more things in future. HTH

crystalina1977 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #25 of 52

Some of the things I received were based on an additional request I made for specific samples, so my list represents both shipments, the original and then my subsequent request.

Tashablueyes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:39pm
post #26 of 52

Crystalina, could I ask what the price was on the 2.2 jars and shipping? I want to order but I'd like to be informed BEFORE I call! If you don't want to post you can PM me. Thanks icon_smile.gif

crystalina1977 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:44pm
post #27 of 52

i haven't actually ordered yet but the lady I've been working with is very helpful and I would recommend maybe emailing her and asking her any questions you have.
Nayre Sahbaz [[email protected]]
I hope her email address comes through on this post if not i will pm it to you

Tashablueyes Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 6:52pm
post #28 of 52

Thanks! I'd much rather ask all of my silly questions through email than on the phone, lol!

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:18pm
post #29 of 52

received the following e-mail when inquiring about addl samples:

We recently adjusted our sampling policy to accommodate the large volume of sample requests we have received in the last few weeks

received samples in 1 oz jars...love the wild strawberry, mango, passion fruit. nougats and lemon meringue ganache are also fabulous...cannot send me a price list but 2.2 lb jar of wild strawberry swirl about $30.

stephaniescakenj Posted 24 Apr 2009 , 12:43pm
post #30 of 52

the swirls are not as concentrated as the compounds. they are meant to swirl into things like cheesecake for example. I've found the compounds are more potent. One of those sample jars (for me at least) is the perfect amount for one mix of batter. The compounds that I have inquired about run about $50 - $60 a piece. I asked if they'd be willing to sell the sample jars and they said it's something they're considering for the future. I hope they do. I really love their products but I can't afford to fill up my pantry with large jars of the stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%