Odd Pricing Question.....

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 6:18am by lmn4881

lmn4881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmn4881 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 12

I have a client that wants a 3 tiered wedding cake but here's the catch. She wants " elegance on the outside and fun on the inside".
She would like 3 tiers of Rice cereal treats covered in fondant. How do I price this? I don't really want to make the whole cake to see what it's going to cost. How many rice cereal treats does it take to fill a cake pan? I know somewhere in all the knowledge and expertise on here somone will be able to help me.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Lisa

11 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #2 of 12

Bump...I wanna know too.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #3 of 12

First find out how much your ingredient costs are and then go from there. It shouldn't be any less than what a regular (wedding) cake should cost. It also should depend on what the design of the elegant part would be. At least that is my opinion. But I am no expert. icon_smile.gif

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:37am
post #4 of 12

Regardless of the flavor of cake inside (or RKT in this case) I would base my price on the difficulty and time in decorating the outside. But I'm in no way an expert on cake business, far from it! But your time is going to be taken up mostly with the decorating aspect.

lmn4881 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #5 of 12

That's my problem though. I guess I have not other choice but to make the cakes with the rkt. i need to know how much rkt fits into a 6" pan and how much for a 8" pan etc. and then price it from there. She just wants it covered in fondant and matching ribbon with maybe 5 gp flowers around it. Not a hard cake to do but I was wondering if there was way to price it without having to make all those rkt to find out.
Would you charge similarly to a regular cake?

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:53am
post #6 of 12

I would estimate what it costs to make one recipe of rice crispie treats, say for example, $4.00. That would probably make a 9X13 pan, 2" high.

So...

a 10" diameter round cake might need three recipes of treats (to get a nice, 4 1/2" high cake or so.

an 8" diameter round cake might need two recipes of treats

a 6" diameter round cake might need one recipe of treats

Estimate the cost that way, plus fondant, buttercream, plates, cardboard, etc... and add in your time to make this cake, base it that way.

Remember, making 8 recipes of rice crispie treats might take as long as baking and leveling cakes, so plan for your time too in your price, ok? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #7 of 12

I'd want to know how the heck she's gonna cut that! icon_eek.gif

And yes, I'd charge her at least the same amount as a regular cake.

--------------------------
same answer I gave on a similar thread .... If I go to a wedding and they hand me a bag of M&M's or a RKT instead of wedding cake, I'm taking my gift and leaving. What the heck is wrong with these people?

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:00am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'd want to know how the heck she's gonna cut that! icon_eek.gif

And yes, I'd charge her at least the same amount as a regular cake.

--------------------------
same answer I gave on a similar thread .... If I go to a wedding and they hand me a bag of M&M's or a RKT instead of wedding cake, I'm taking my gift and leaving. What the heck is wrong with these people?

Yeaup, I was too busy doing calculations in my head and forgot to say, keep us informed on this one, k? We want to know if the bride liked it, how she cut through 4 1/2 " of rice crispies and fondant, and if the guests enjoyed it... icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:25am
post #9 of 12

I know it's 6 cups of rk for one batch. So once you add the marshmallows and butter and a few of the rk's get smushed you will still have at least 6ups of juju. So just check the charts for how much batter to put in the pan--hmm but batter rises --hmm--

I mean it's not exactly a hardship to have to make a random batch of rkt in the name of (cake) science.

No no no I got it I got it.

So fill a measuring cup with water and pour that into your pan and count how many cups of water will fit--viola. There it is.

Rice krispie thoughts for you.

Two more actually--melt the marshmallows--do not saute them or heat them too hot--let them melt.

And I use less rk's to marshmellows & butter than it calls for.

I love this idea and as Indy said it will be difficult to serve.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #10 of 12

I would charge the same as a regular cake. My wedding cakes start at $3.50 per serving, and my specialty flavors start at $4. I think I would consider this a specialty flavor, since you will be having the sculpt these a bit and get them super smooth.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #11 of 12

I'm with you on this, Indy - when I go to a wedding, serve me a piece of cake dammit! And it had better be GOOD

lmn4881 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 6:18am
post #12 of 12

Thnks everyone! I knew I could get some help here! I';ll keep you posted and I'll TRY to remember to take a picture before it goes to the wedding! I'm terrible for forgetting!

Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%