Cracked Rose Petals

Decorating By PiePie Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm by kakeladi

PiePie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiePie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #1 of 10

I am learning to do roses. The shape of them is turning out very nice but the edges of the petals seem to be jagged or cracked. Any thoughts as to what causes and or fixes this?

9 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #2 of 10

could it be that your icing is too stiff?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #3 of 10

Mine do this too. I think it might be something to do with the amount of corn syrup/shortening/sugar. Perhaps our frosting is too dry.

Could someone please help us out????

PiePie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #4 of 10

It don't think that it is to dry. I put meringue powder in it, could this cause it to happen?

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 10

Are you using buttercream or royal icing? I use buttercream and that is what cracks on me. I haven't tried royal icing yet, that's my next endeavor. I bought the meringue powder in the cupboard!

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 10

My Wilton instructor said the icing was too stiff/dry. I kinda like the look myself...looks kewl to me ! icon_biggrin.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #7 of 10

open the skinny end of your tip up some....you using a 104?

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 9:27am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmom1985

My Wilton instructor said the icing was too stiff/dry. I kinda like the look myself...looks kewl to me ! icon_biggrin.gif

same here, however I've read, here on CC that if you add piping gel to your icing it should smooth out the edges.

PiePie Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #9 of 10

I am using buttercream. I have made royal icing roses with no cracking but they were kind of flat so I think that the royal icing may have been the wrong consistancy. I tried adding more shortening last night and that seemed to help some but it seemed like it changed the consistency a little to more like medium consistency so my roses weren't as defined. I think I will try the piping gel idea next because I heard that it helps with providing elasticity to thinned icing when writing. I will let you know when I do this. Thanks for all the tips icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 5:25pm
post #10 of 10

Yep, piping gel or Karo (clear) corn syrup should do it. Not too much or it will thin the consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%