Rental Kitchens--Who's Willing To?

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 14 Apr 2009 , 12:15am by 1234me

lhayes1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lhayes1976 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 11

Getting my own kitchen ready is taking much longer than expected. I need to rent for a short while. What types of places are more open to rental--how are churches? I've only contacted one so far and they acted like they didn't have clue what I was talking about.

10 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 11

churches are always a good place to start. also... I live in a small town and our school will sometimes let me cook in their cafeteria!!!! Other than that... I don't have any great ideas.....

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 11

It depends. Anywhere that has an oven that can fit cake pans. Try bakeries that only do breakfast and lunch, donut shops, churches and private schools.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 11

I was just reading up on this topic, as I want to start renting a space. I know a few people said that in their specific state/county, they were not allowed to rent space from a church. So I would check with your local HD first!!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 11

Due to the economy, I bet many restaurants would rent you space today. It doesn't hurt to ask. I'm open for renters in my area, anyone feel free to contact if your close by.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 11

If your parks dept has a facility with a kitchen, check with them to see if you can rent it as needed. Knights of Columbus ... I had one agree to rent me their kitchen space as needed before I got the shop. For a caterer like me, their price of only $125 for the whole day was a STEAL!!!

When I was researching rental places, my health dept told me they still had to give the ok on the arrangement. For example, if a K of C ran a full kitchen all day (i.e. served breakfast, lunch and dinner to a good size crowd everyday), then the HD may determine that there is insufficient space to run two operations out of the same kitchen. But if there was a K of C that only did dinners 'n such on special occasions, then it would work out ok.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 11

I just came across this site that list commercial kitchens for rent. You just clck on your state and it brings up a list of commercial kitchens for rent in your state. Here is the link: http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/

and here's another for NY\\
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/necfe/CoPackerKitchen/ny.html

good luck

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 11

Yeah, you will get that a lot. I don't know how many churches, donut shops, bakeries, restaurants, schools and other misc places I called. It was hard to keep going because a lot of them acted like I was crazy for asking them this.

Just keep at it. I would say that you are going to find more success in churches or SMALL bakeries/cakeries.

scrabblemomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrabblemomof1 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

I just came across this site that list commercial kitchens for rent. You just clck on your state and it brings up a list of commercial kitchens for rent in your state. Here is the link: http://www.commercialkitchenforrent.com/

and here's another for NY\\
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/necfe/CoPackerKitchen/ny.html

good luck

Now THIS is helpful for me. Thanks!!

jewelykaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewelykaye Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 11

Be careful of the www.commercialkitchenforrent.com site. There are a lot of kitchens that are advertising for rent that are scams. I know I tried contacting a couple of the places and they either wanted too much personal info or they wanted some weird deposit.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #11 of 11

you might also check with local party locations. For example, I use a kitchen of a facilty locally that is rented out for parties, etc. It is a ranch that has a pool, horseback riding, etc. They cater on occasion so they have full kitchen facilities that they let me use for FREE!!!! I have been friends with these people for a long time and they are happy to see it used because I keep it up and cleaner than they ever did icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%