Baking Soda Vs. Powder - How Bad Is This?

Business By jlh Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm by jlh

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:07am
post #1 of 4

Tried a new sugar cookie recipe tonight. I want to compare it to the NFSC to see if the flavor is any sweeter. Anyway, the new recipe called for baking soda, but I added baking powder. How badly will they turn out? I wonder if I can bake them and just judge the taste. Will they fall apart? Be too thin? Thanks.

3 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:24am
post #2 of 4

I have never used this substitution myself, but I know that when you sub baking powder for baking soda, you're supposed to used 4 times more powder than the amount of soda that it calls for. Example: If the recipe calls for 1/2 t baking soda, you would use 2 t baking powder. I don't know how your cookies will turn out. Sometimes if your recipe has acidic ingredients in it, the baking powder (which also contains an acid) may not mix well into the recipe. Hope that helps.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:27am
post #3 of 4

I am sending the information below that I think will help you.
Answer: Both baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents, which means they are added to baked goods before cooking to produce carbon dioxide and cause them to 'rise'. Baking powder contains baking soda, but the two substances are used under different conditions.

Baking Soda

Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods to rise. The reaction begins immediately upon mixing the ingredients, so you need to bake recipes which call for baking soda immediately, or else they will fall flat!

Baking Powder

Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, but it includes the acidifying agent already (cream of tartar), and also a drying agent (usually starch). Baking powder is available as single-acting baking powder and as double-acting baking powder. Single-acting powders are activated by moisture, so you must bake recipes which include this product immediately after mixing. Double-acting powders react in two phases and can stand for a while before baking. With double-acting powder, some gas is released at room temperature when the powder is added to dough, but the majority of the gas is released after the temperature of the dough in

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 4

I had the dough in the fridge, and baked them this morning. The recipe called for soda, but I used powder accidentally. Worked out beutifully! I'm actually really happy with the shape of the sugar cookie. So far, the mistake seems to be fine structurally. They taste great. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%