After My 20Th Cake, I Realize I Hate...

Decorating By lostincake Updated 1 May 2009 , 10:30pm by drowsyrn

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 4:10pm
post #61 of 80

Yes. Everything that you guys listed. Especially DELIVERY!! I hate hate hate having people watch as I set up a cake. Soooooooo super annoying... grrr....I mad now just thinking about it!

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #62 of 80

I love all the tips that are being shared!

Using a dishtowel over the KA...
Wrapping the counter with saran wrap to ease clean up...
Putting icing bags, tips & all in hot water to loosen the coupler...
Soaking tips in water to make cleaning easier...

and so many others! Some I've done, some I've never thought of, some I've used and forgotten over time. Just GREAT tips, I love it!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #63 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I'm with ya Sassy 74, I have Sharon's DVD and Jennifers also , the part I'm wondering is why while they are baking and decorating their work surface and kitchen DOES NOT look like mine? I swear if I went to get a job at a bakery they would fire me for the mess I make. No Joke. icon_redface.gif

Um, it's called editing! ROFL!

We cut and clean (OK Wendy cleans) between shots! You should see my dining rom table behind that kitchen wall and my cake room after a shoot! A DISASTER!

icon_surprised.gif

Funny thing is, I like the big clean up after caking. I am weird I know. But I will take names for the making icing, filling and covering board jobs! icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 5:48am
post #64 of 80

i was thinking the other day, when it comes to cleaning up why oh why can't i be mary poppins and snap my fingers and the mess clean itself up icon_wink.gif plus it would be more fun that way!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:35am
post #65 of 80

Cleaning up is the worst - I've tried to get my kids to do it, but they will have nothing to do with it... icon_sad.gif I even clean up in between stages of decorating so I don't have the huge mess, but it doesn't seem to help at the end! icon_redface.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 12:03pm
post #66 of 80

I hate cleaning up all of pastry bags and the tips. And baking isn't my favorite part. But it all has to happen, or I can't decorate my cakes. So it's worth it!

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #67 of 80

I HATE HATE HATE cleanup and making fondant!!!!!!

ashleyi23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyi23 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #68 of 80

I hate it when you know exactly how you want a cake to look... and then it's not quite what you hoped for. Most of the time, the person you made the cake for loves your work, but you can see every little thing that isn't perfect about it.

And, of course, cleaning up is absolutely no fun, especially when you do it all by hand!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #69 of 80

I hate decorating a cake and having the customer come to your home to pick it up.. UGH!!!#$@#$ I have a mess after decorating the cake and then have to clean it up before they get here...especially when I am running behind, which is more often than not.. hehehe.....and then they ALWAYS HAVE TO USE THE RESTROOM.. !! cant forget to clean that as well.. Oh heck I go through the whole house!! then drop on the couch when they leave!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 12:41am
post #70 of 80

LOVE: thumbs_up.gif
Designing the cake (including looking here & other places for ideas),
Decorating the cake (including making the little figures, etc.),
Shopping for just the PERFECT pretty paper and ribbon for the cake board (okay, ALL cake-related shopping!),
Actually doing the cake board (I know, I'm weird for that... but I get to use my pretty paper and ribbon!!!),
Tasting the cake scraps (how else are you going to know if it is any good? wouldn't want to sever anything substandard! icon_lol.gif ),
Creating little "instruction sheets" for the recipient of the cake (tells what flavors are where & suggestions on how to cut and serve, etc.), and
Photographing the cake.

DON'T LOVE BUT DON'T HATE:
Making and tinting fondant & BC,
crumb coating,
assembling the cake (stacking tiers),
packing the cake for delivery, and
cleaning up the kitchen.

HATE: thumbsdown.gif
Making room in my fridge or freezer for cake tiers,
Having to run to the store when I run out of something (always happens!),
Having to re-do something when I am already short on time,
Doing the actual baking,
Leveling, filling, and stacking the layers,
Icing with BC (I ordered a DVD to teach me, so hopefully I will like it better in the future),
Getting the couplers out of the bags & cleaning tips.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #71 of 80

i hate making the icing! my icing has to be beaten for 5-7 minutes and my K.A. is broken! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif i also don't like waiting for my cakes to come out of the oven...i wish cakes could bake and cool faster!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 2:59am
post #72 of 80

Ok Sharon I feel much better now!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #73 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

Ok Sharon I feel much better now!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

Me too!

I actually have gotten better in the clean up department. I cover my entire work area with the vinyl you can buy at wal-mart. $5.00 will get you a TON!. Fondant and gumpaste rarely stick to it, and it holds all my little particles that go floating around. I'll shake the thing off in the sink, wash it down with a towel and let it dry overnight. Perfect the next day! When I've used enough I just toss it. (not green, I know). But it saves so much time!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #74 of 80

I would not say I hate it, more like I am terrified of.....

icon_eek.gif CRISCO icon_eek.gif

Yup, anything involving Crisco gives me the heebeejeebies.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 29 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannys3angels

I hate:
The cleaning up
Getting my timing off track
When my design doesn't go as plan
Covering cake boards
Needing something and then finding out, you don't have it
Coloring my BC
Fighting to get my tips out of the piping bags
Mixing, baking and waiting for the cakes to cool

I LOVE!, when my kitchen is all clean up!
When the cake is all done and there is time to spare
When my design turns out better then planned
When I have everything I need, without having to go to the store to get it...even when something pops up at the last min.
When my daughter covers the cake board and mixes the colors for me thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

What I would LOVE even more: Someone who would do all the clean up, my mixing/baking, cleaning the tips thumbs_up.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Same here,except i don't have a daughter to do stuff so I still do AAALLLLL icon_mad.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #76 of 80

I guess most people hate the cleaning part. I also hate kneading huge pieces of fondant and adding some coloring to it.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 30 Apr 2009 , 1:43pm
post #77 of 80

I LOVE IT when my daughter mixes all my colors for me.. she is the color queen! she really has an eye for colors that go well together..
when it comes to talking colors I say red, green OR orange..she says.. burgandy, moss OR peach... she always has a different name for a color!! hehehe
Sorry .. I had to throw in an I LOVE IT.. HEHEH

DollyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DollyCakes Posted 1 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #78 of 80

I hate making buttercream and MMF because of the mess! It's like a powdered sugar fog in my kitchen afterwards...I can only imagine all the cracks and crevices that it's settled into that I don't see or can't reach!
Cleaning up the bowls from the MMF is a pain, too....all those sticky marshmallows do not come off easily.

And I do hate the cleanup afterwards. You know, it really doesn't take all that long, but it always looks like a tornado came through the kitchen after doing a cake!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 1 May 2009 , 4:36pm
post #79 of 80

I hate the design part. I'm not at all creative, so it hurts my brain. I like when I have a concrete plan to follow!
I used to hate cleaning tips until I figured out that a new, unused mascara brush is the prefect tool for cleaning the insides of them.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 1 May 2009 , 10:30pm
post #80 of 80

I am a CAKE DECORATOR NOT A BAKER!!!
I hate the baking part too!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%