"but It's Not Functional!!"

Lounge By indydebi Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm by Kiddiekakes

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 24

Ok, while I'm bored and waiting for the bounced check saga to continue, let's talk about dumb stuff.

Hubby and I have SUCH different takes on things. He loves pedestal sinks in the bathroom. I HATE them! Why? Because there is no storage under them! I have no place to hide the toilet paper, hand towels and tampons. They are not functional.

He likes what they call a "farmers sink" .... one big giant sink instead of a 2-compartment sink. I HATE them!! You just can't wash and rinse dishes properly in one of these! (Had a couple in farm houses that I lived in as a kid .... absolutely freakin' hated them!). They are not functional.

He likes windows in the kitchen cabinet doors. I refuse to allow them in the house. "Real" kitchens aren't all pretty and organized like they are on HGTV. I want solid wood doors to hide my Tweety Bird and Yosemite Sam glasses and my collection of butter dish lids that fall out everytime I open the door! Glass doors do not function properly as a way to hide the real-living stuff!

Notice he wants the "pretty" stuff (thanks a LOT, HGTV, for convincing him this stuff is "in"! icon_mad.gif ) on things that he never really deals with .... he wants the one compartment sink when he's not the one who deals with doing dishes. He wants the pedestal sink and he's not the one who stocks a supply of tampons!

Anyone else?

23 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 24

well, i have one bath that has a pedestal sink then other not. I like the pedestal cause i don't have a cupboard to collect junk that i have to clean up. Now for the cabinets in the kitchen try living with out cabinet doors for a while that should cure him of the need for glass doors.

My hubbys thing is nice cars. Why or why do we need a two seater sports car, i would rather have something that i can transport a cake in then a pretty car that i'm afraid to drive cause it costs more then our first house.

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 24

My husband wants a pot rack to hang pots and pans from over the island. Very pretty on HGTV.....but my pots and pans are well "used" and have been for almost 25 years. Oh yes, and they don't really match each other.
Yes, pretty on TV....but wouldn't be in our house. icon_wink.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 24

My DH loves taupe.....anytime I want to paint he wants taupe...well, maybe beige. Is there anything more boring than taupe? I know there are folks who love it, but I just don't get it.
He also traded in his perfectly lovely Explorer, that I could haul anything in, for a red Mustang. He needed me to co-sign, but it's HIS car. I've never driven it in 2 years. Shoot, I'm surprised I get to ride in it. icon_lol.gif It's beautiful, and heaven knows he makes sure it looks perfect, but geez....it's a just a car!

Indy...I'm with you on pedestal sinks and one sided sinks!

Jodie

indydebi Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 24

I think guys get 2-seater cars (which includes pickup trucks) so we won't ask them to do stuff in THEIR car! Any family outings we have to take mom's car because the family won't fit in the mustang or the truck.

Hubby hates medicine cabinets and wants all flat mirrors (again, thanks HGTV, for making people think THAT works! Does anyone on that network have regular "stuff" in their house? icon_confused.gif ) A flat mirror and a pedestal sink .... show me where you store the tampons, aspirin, shaving cream, razors, band-aids, misc medicines, shampoo, conditioner, make-up, toothpaste and first aid cremes.

I sure don't want my hemorroid medicine laying right out on the sink counter when people come over! icon_surprised.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 24

white couches and glass tables......who came up with those? Someone without kids, that's for sure!

Jodie

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 24

I hear ya! My boyfriend stores all the stuff I seem to use when I'm over there and cooking in the cabinet over the oven. At 5'6, I'm not especially short, but I sure can't reach it.

Apparently he isn't fed up with having to get up every 2 minutes to reach stuff down for me as yet (but it's not for lack of trying on my part icon_wink.gif)

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 24

Who's dumb idea was it to put washer & dryers in the basement (she says as she's huffing and puffing from running up and down to do laundry)

Barb

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #9 of 24

Or the washer and dryer in the kitchen area, the farthest place (other than a basement) from where clothes are stored, changed and (hopefully) put into hampers.

If I had ever gotten to design/build a house my own way, the W/D would have been close to the bedrooms!

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:21am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

Or the washer and dryer in the kitchen area, the farthest place (other than a basement) from where clothes are stored, changed and (hopefully) put into hampers.

If I had ever gotten to design/build a house my own way, the W/D would have been close to the bedrooms!

A lot more builders are putting the laundry room on the 2nd floor with the bedrooms (we like to visit model homes for the heck of it!).

A washer dryer in the kitchen is an ok idea *IF* you do one load of laundry and fold it as soon as it comes out of the dryer. Dont' know about you all, but I usually have a pile of dirty laundry sorted into color-piles and laying all over the floor and it's more than one load! Who the he** needs that mess in the middle of their kitchen floor!!!!?????

(Some MAN must have figured THAT one out!)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #11 of 24

Dining rooms..........I've owned 3 houses with them and basically it's always a "museum room".

Nice to look at, but in 26 yrs I can count on one hand the number of meals we've eaten in there.

We eat at the kitchen island, much easier and we can see the T.V. from it.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:44am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

A lot more builders are putting the laundry room on the 2nd floor with the bedrooms (we like to visit model homes for the heck of it!).

A washer dryer in the kitchen is an ok idea *IF* you do one load of laundry and fold it as soon as it comes out of the dryer. Dont' know about you all, but I usually have a pile of dirty laundry sorted into color-piles and laying all over the floor and it's more than one load! Who the he** needs that mess in the middle of their kitchen floor!!!!?????

(Some MAN must have figured THAT one out!)

The second house we bought was two story, all bedrooms upstairs, and the W/D was right off the kitchen...in a very small bathroom...how stupid is that? I called it "the afterthought" like all of a sudden the builder looked around and realized they hadn't put any laundry space, either that or realized they hadn't put in a facility downstairs. Also stupid me, didn't catch the significance of where the W/D location was, and suffered the pain of it for 12 or 13 years. Yep, sorting and folding, dirty or clean was not fun in that bathroom...it was not functional!

Now, in this small apartment they are in the kitchen, once again a PITA.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #13 of 24

My daughters' bathroom has a pedestal sink in it. When we re-did their bathroom, I chose it because I was tired of walking in there, hitting my leg on an open cabinet door, because they jammed in so much stuff the door would not shut! As for my bathroom, I could not live without my cabinets.

My hubby is always saying .. Hey look at this, wouldn't this be great? Cars, add ons for the 4 wheelers, tools, extras extras extras ... we do not have the room for anything else!! He has outgrown his storage building / tool shed twice now, And he thinks I have too much cake "stuff". HA! You can NEVER have too much cake "stuff" as he calls it. icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:25am
post #14 of 24

The size of the television is the only interior design decision my husband makes. icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

The size of the television is the only interior design decision my husband makes. icon_lol.gif

Yeah agree...........they're all alike with the *size* issue! icon_lol.gif Of T.V.s that is icon_razz.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

Yeah agree...........they're all alike with the *size* issue! icon_lol.gif Of T.V.s that is icon_razz.gif

Lol...yeah why can't they understand it's not the size of the tv, but the quality of it?
icon_lol.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #17 of 24

Ha ha! This post reminds me of the debate between my parents that has been going on for 30 years now. When they had their house built in 1978 my mom wanted white tubs, toilets, etc. She figured that was something, while sometimes more popular than others, never went totally out of style. Well, my dad said that white looked dated icon_confused.gif and they should get colors. Guess who has a very dated looking blue toilet now?

indydebi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS385Monte

Well, my dad said that white looked dated icon_confused.gif and they should get colors. Guess who has a very dated looking blue toilet now?

At least it's not that motel green!!

I love the look of good ceramic tile (bathroom or kitchen) but the style/design/color goes in and out of style about every 20 minutes so I won't hvae it in the house. Unlike paint and other materials, it's too much work and too expensive to replace. HATE it when I see a designer on tv say "what were they thinking?" I'm sitting there talking to the TV, "they were probably thinking they'd go with whatever the freakin' designer at the time was telling them was so IN at that moment! Just like you're going to do right now!"

Ever notice on those "can't sell this house and we'll show you why" shows, that if the house has muted, neutral colors, they always say "Oh you need to add some color here!" but if the house has lots of color they always say, "Oh you need to mute the color here!"

Whatever fills 30 minutes of TV time, I guess!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:18pm
post #19 of 24

when we moved here we had a pink bathroom and i'm not talking nice pink, i'm talking 60s pink. I wanted all white tub and toilet. Well my DH decided that he knew what was best and i came home to a tan tub and a cream colored toilet in one small bathroom. So i have been living with that for a long time. Now last year we had to replace that bathroom sink, and let me tell you i finally got the chance to say i told you so. Cause it cost a fortune to find a suitable sink to go with the others. Of course the tub has to dictate the colors cause it is a two piece tub and would be a major job to replace.

My hubby is not allowed to buy paint unless i okay it, ever since he came home with a blue for the bath that you would need to have sunglasses on it was so bright. It was so bad that when i took the paint back to the store to see if they could dull it up with some black (i figured dull it then add a gal of white and it would have been workable) the lady there was laughing and said "OH i remember him i tried to talk him out of it really"

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #20 of 24

......Who's dumb idea was it to put washer & dryers in the basement.....

HEHE.......I am glad right now that mine is in the basement....it means I get some exercise icon_smile.gif
I only wash one load a week so it's nothing for me.
I also have my computer and tv in the basement - which means I go up & down many times a day.

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #21 of 24

Reading all these comments makes me feel my husband and I have chosen the PERFECT house!

All the walls are white. The tile in all the bathrooms are white, as are the toilets. All the bathrooms have a full cabinet sink, in a wood that matches the rest in the house.

And the washer and dryer are on the 2nd floor. icon_wink.gif

Of course, I find everything so BORING without color, but at least it's a blank slate. I have until June 30 (our closing date) to make up my mind. icon_biggrin.gif

maryjsgirl Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Reading all these comments makes me feel my husband and I have chosen the PERFECT house!

All the walls are white. The tile in all the bathrooms are white, as are the toilets. All the bathrooms have a full cabinet sink, in a wood that matches the rest in the house.

And the washer and dryer are on the 2nd floor. icon_wink.gif

Of course, I find everything so BORING without color, but at least it's a blank slate. I have until June 30 (our closing date) to make up my mind. icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations on the new house! How exciting!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 9:28pm
post #23 of 24

I lived in a house with the W/D on the second floor-- not too nice when they overflowed and the ceiling below fell. At least it fell into the bathroom and dressing room and we could close the door and hide it until it was fixed.

This was a bank barn house: top floor living room, fireplaces, and entrance, Middle floor kitchen, family room, dining room, powder room, and laundry area, Bottom floor bedrooms, dressing rooms and full baths.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #24 of 24

Okay...here goes my pet peeves too....

Microwave shelf which is too high.I have almost burnt myself taking hot soup or sauces out and nearly dumping them down the front of me.Now granted I am only 5 ft tall but gee whiz.....

I hate the pedestal sink too for the same reasons...no storage.

I do have my laundry room on the main floor and it is quite large...I like it but hubby has this great idea to move them downstairs so he can transform that room into a cake room for me to airbrush in icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I am warming up to the idea but not looking forward to going down to the basement to do laundry..I'll forget it all the time!

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%