Royal Icing...help

Baking By cats242 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm by sweetopia

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all. I'm making royal icing this morning (antonia74's) to decorate some cookies for hubby to take to work. I apparently forget to beat the cream of tarter into the meringue powder/water before adding the powdered sugar. I went ahead and put it in when I realized...but is it too late? Do I need to remake? Thanks so much!

4 replies
cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think so. I have made royal icing many times using meringue powder, water, powder sugar,and vanilla. Almost each time was for icing sugar cookies. Wilton's recipe doesn't even call for cream of tarter. I think they will be fine.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 5

agree with cricket0616, it should be fine

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks guys! Ya'll were quick!!! I was hoping I didn't need to get to the store to get more powdered sugar! Thanks again!

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

Hi! I guess I'm a bit late, but for what it's worth, I don't think the lack of cream of tartar will matter. I usually do mine without, unless I'm making gingerbread houses. It helps make the icing "stronger"/"thicker" ... more like glue, which is great for gingerbread structures! (If you add a lot... it wouldn't make your icing glue-like if there's just a little).

Good luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%