Houston Classes?

Business By samantha22c Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 12:07am by Teekakes

samantha22c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samantha22c Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #1 of 11

I am really wanting to learn how to make gumpaste flowers does anyone know where classes are are offered at? Or a good book to learn from? Thanks

10 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #2 of 11

I don't know about gumpaste flowers but Sugar Shack is doing a class in Houston and a demonstration at a decorating show in Houston in early May. I would give anything to see Sugar Shacks class but I live in Dallas and can't take the Monday class. I'm sure the group organizing the class could tell you where/when gumpaste classes are offered.
Details at http://www.pearlandcakesociety.com/

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha22c

I am really wanting to learn how to make gumpaste flowers does anyone know where classes are are offered at? Or a good book to learn from? Thanks

Hi neighbor~~~~ icon_biggrin.gif I took my first Wilton Course at a Hobby Lobby. I switched to Michaels for the rest of the courses. Check with your local Hobby Lobby and Michaels to see when their Wilton classes begin. I recommend you take all 3 courses plus their fondant and gumpaste course. You will learn to make lots of flowers, both buttercream and fondant/gumpaste. thumbs_up.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #4 of 11

Also check out the Houston Cake Club...they offer classes and also have "Days of Sharing". I met some of them at a Louisiana ICES Day of Sharing and they were super nice!!
Good luck with your flowers!

Teekakes Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:14am
post #5 of 11

Oh you are so correct about Houston Cake club classes! They are held at Larry's Arts n Crafts in Pasadena. Pat is the instructor and she is fabulous with ALL things sugar! Her gumpaste flowers are beautiful!

If you live close to Sugarland you can give Cake Craft Shop a call and see what Sheila is offering for classes. I know she has them but not sure which ones.

MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:17am
post #6 of 11

The Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugarland has gum paste classes and several other classes. They also host classes with top notch decorators. I have taken classes with Nicholas Lodge and Earlene Moore. The owner, Sheila Brooks and her staff are great! I took a gum paste class with Sheila a few years ago. She is an awesome sugar artist. Check out their website www.cakecraftshoppe.com. (No, I don't work there, LOL, but I go there a lot!)

Make A Cake in SW Houston also has classes, but I don't know if they offer any on gum paste. Their website is www.makeacake.com

Good luck, have fun!

samantha22c Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:56pm
post #7 of 11

I have taken the three wilton classes and was just looking for some extra teaching. Thanks so much!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 11

I'm like MissyTex, I could say volumes about The Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugarland. It's fantastic!!!

Which area of Houston do you live in?

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 11

This is just copied from my email: she is in Houston, southwest I think. Im in Manvel Texas

Susie Rasmussen the cake decorating teacher at Make a Cake. Here are the classes that I have currently scheduled at Make a Cake. There will be an airbrush class in June but I have not set a date yet.

My cell phone number is 281 433 5740.

Buttercream Flowers April 11 date changed 1:00 - 4:00 $ 35.00

Learn figure piping and seasonal flowers for the Springtime, this includes piping for wildflowers like bluebonnets, buttercups, and Indian paintbrush. Also learn iris, orchids, sunflowers, magnolias, and other flowers. To complete the total design, learn how to arrange and place flowers on the cake for best presentation.

*** Basic fondant class April 25 1:00 - 4:00 $60.00

Learn how to handle, color, marbleize, and roll out fondant. We will use impression mats and textured rolling pins. Learn how to do a crimped edge on the cake and drape fondant. This class we will cover a cake dummy with fondant. We will do embossed borders and strands of pearls if time. Supply list will be later.

Wedding cake class May 2 11:00 - 4:00 $100.00

Have you ever done a wedding cake? Have you ever wanted to learn how to make stacked cake? Do you want to learn how figure serving size? Learn how to do new borders for the bottom, side, and top. Make new designs for the side. You will learn how to transport and stack a wedding cake. Learn different techniques and tricks that work great on cakes. Remember that a wedding cake is a bunch of smaller cakes together so donʼt let it scare you. I will supply lunch from Subways and drinks.

*** Basic Gum Paste Flowers May 9th date changed 1:00 - 4:00 $ 60.00

In this class you will learn some very basic gumpaste flowers. This class will include some hand modeled flowers that are fast and easy. We will also do some flowers using molds and plunger cutout flowers. Learn how to make gumpaste roses. Learn how to vein and wire leaves. We will dusts some roses in class. Supply list will be later.

Remember that I do small groups and private classes. These classes are usually held at the students house and sometimes have a different price. Do you have any requests?

samantha22c Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 11

I live in the Humble area. Thanks.

Teekakes Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:07am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha22c

I live in the Humble area. Thanks.

Larry's would be a 30 to 40 minute drive from you is all and they have about anything you could ask for in the cake supply area.
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%