Just Saw This At Walmart & Had To Share

Decorating By isabow2 Updated 15 Apr 2009 , 4:41am by Ironbaker

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:06pm
post #61 of 97

I'm not sure why, but this just leaves me feeling sad. I think it's because those who make gumpaste flowers know the time and effort that goes into making each one a piece of art. On the one hand, bravo to the chain stores for keeping up with the times... but boohoo because in doing so you have cheapened the value of the product. Now every bride is going to say they can get gumpaste flowers for (fill in the blank _______) at Walmart, so why is the person crafting her cake charging twice that amount?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:07pm
post #62 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I'm not sure why, but this just leaves me feeling sad. I think it's because those who make gumpaste flowers know the time and effort that goes into making each one a piece of art. On the one hand, bravo to the chain stores for keeping up with the times... but boohoo because in doing so you have cheapened the value of the product. Now every bride is going to say they can get gumpaste flowers for (fill in the blank _______) at Walmart, so why is the person crafting her cake charging twice that amount?

Well... not EVERY bride will do that, but I'm sure there will be plenty! LOL

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:59pm
post #63 of 97

Ok...just got back from Wally World and they did have them. I was told these cakes were seasonal. They are just going to carry them through Easter. I asked the clerk why because they were "so pretty"....yeah, I know, I lied.....the ones at our Walmart looked horrendous except for the flower.

She told me that they were not cost effective to carry throughout the year. This was just something special for Easter.

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #64 of 97

I saw these cakes last night and it makes you want to cry icon_cry.gif . They are really pitiful. If someone wanted to choose to ruin their wedding to save a few bucks , go right ahead .

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #65 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedoll

The Walmart north of us was built in the early 90's. I was working in a restaurant near there and used to wait on some of the construction crew for lunch.

All they did was go around the country building Walmart Supercenters and they told me whenever they built one in a smaller area 10 local businesses were out within 5 or 6 years, and Walmart didn't miss a trick when it came to exploring new markets to undercut.

The area did lose some local businesses; I don't know if it was 10.

We don't have any real cake bakeries except supermarket ones until you get north to Sarasota, so it seems they're trying to corner what market they can here.

They just built ours here a few years ago. They've killed Winn dixie pretty much, but they don't seem to have hurt Publix all that much.

I'm heading there now to pick up some pastry bags and I'll hit the bakery to see if they are carrying these things yet. If they are, I'll ask them if it's a seasonal thing or whether they will be carrying them all the time.

Yeah they have annihilated the "mom and pop" shops.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #66 of 97

Those cakes look A LOT better than the ones in my store do.

Ours are covered in fondant. Think buldging times like, 1000. Think muffin top. Think rolly polly. I mean.. it looks like they used an 8 inch cake, then a 7 inch cake, then an 8 inche cake... and then didn't put frosting on the outside and then proceeded to cover it in fondant.. I'm serious!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:57pm
post #67 of 97

If I go to wal-mart tonight, I'll snag one & bring it home to disect with pics, lol.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 11:40am
post #68 of 97

Our wal-mart only had 1 left, the day before they had about 30. And it looks like they popped it open & slathered bc on the outside.

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #69 of 97

I saw these at my walmart today...half of them looked like this...sad, sad, sad!
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:27pm
post #70 of 97

Oh Yeah! The ones at my Walmart looked just like that! they were $8.00 But the ones covered in all coconut were $ 9.00. And at least they werent falling apart..yet!
So sad ! They also had 12 cupcakes in a plastic container for $6.00
They had a swirl ( round tip) with a plastic Easter pick in each one! They were some sad looking swirls to!

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:32pm
post #71 of 97

these had just been put on clearance for $4.80!

LaurazCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurazCakez Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #72 of 97

Hello , everyone, just in case you all don't know those WALMART CAKES that are falling apart are PRE MADE and sent it FROZEN and PLACED on the SALE FLOOR and that's why they are falling apart like that! They don't even make them there! lol I know because I work at WALMART! and we are having the SAME PROBLEM!! lol, and the gum paste flowers and even since in too!

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #73 of 97

I just came from WallyWorld, and I have one word for those cakes.... FUGLY.

Sunshyne_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshyne_gal Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:51am
post #74 of 97

I went to Walmart today and made a b-line straight to the bakery dept.!! LOL I didn't see them anywhere.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #75 of 97

As of last night my Walmart had not marked them down any and yes they had a full table of them and the cupcakes and some cake balls to that were covered in easter colored p.s.!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #76 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Ok, here comes the dumbest question ever asked on this site:

You mean you CAN eat gumpaste flowers? icon_eek.gif

not the ones I make! I have styrfoam centers in many of my roses and wires and such..

although you would break your teeth eating them!

I did make some gumpaste rose petals to kind of toss on a cake for a bride once. They were wafer thin. I had them out to show the bride at her final consultation and the groom started eating them like potato chips. I said to him "are they any good?" and he said yeah, they tasted like candy! He didnt die or anything so I guess you CAN eat them!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #77 of 97

I'm gonna run out and buy one of these atrocities! I'll stick it in the freezer just so that when someone complains that they can get something just as good at Walmart for less, I can whip this out and say, "Have a seat. Let's talk about what Walmart does vs what I do. Did you know that lilies don't really have pink leaves?"

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #78 of 97

If it weren't for cake wrecks I wouldn't have ever thought to scope out the bakery section at Wally World. Now I'm addicted! I always stop and look at the bakery at every grocery store I go to.

Here's two of my recent favs from Wal-Mart.
LL
LL

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #79 of 97

hahha! I cant even make out what the first one is suppose to be....

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #80 of 97

Wow...I live in Canada and we just got our first Walmart supercentre or superstore (forget the actual term they use) where they have baked goods. Now I'm gonna have to go check them out and see what they've got.

**edited to clarify**

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #81 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

hahha! I cant even make out what the first one is suppose to be....

I think it's two leprechauns buried in the snow. One has a golden forked tongue that spews delicious banana slices to the unsuspecting children passing by. It's an old Irish folk tale.

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 5:37pm
post #82 of 97

I was at Walmart this morning & those cakes are all gone.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #83 of 97

icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I think it's two leprechauns buried in the snow. One has a golden forked tongue that spews delicious banana slices to the unsuspecting children passing by. It's an old Irish folk tale.

rotfl!!!
that's hilarious-i just had a bride asking me if i knew where she could buy gpflowers as she's concerned about the safety of real flowers(pestisides ect) i'm stumped about the cost, i only do gp/fondant and i could only think of one other person in my area who does that on cakes and she won't be cheap (her cakes are awsome!!)

sweet_teeth Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:06am
post #84 of 97

Here is the work of art found at my local Wally World:
LL

sweet_teeth Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:08am
post #85 of 97

Here is the work of art found at my local Wally World:
LL

violetbutterflyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
violetbutterflyz Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:16am
post #86 of 97

I've seen those cakes at Wally World too. I about buckled over in laughter at their attempt at gumpaste. I had to ask... "Do you think they outsourced"...lol. My husband had to walk away from me.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #87 of 97

alexandrabill: What the.... Is the icing sagging down?

Baking_Booth: And what is the green thing on the picture??

sweet_teeth Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #88 of 97

Yup. That was actually the better side. Oh.. and there is no buttercream underneath the fondant! Just frezer burnt cake stacked on top of each other w/ fondant on the outside. Doesn't that sound yummy!

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:35am
post #89 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Stef

I almost snapped a pic with my phone (James Bond style), just for kicks, and to share with people who say "I can get those for $8 at Walmart", because most of these had the icing cracking at the top edges and FALLING OFF THE CAKES. But the GP looked pretty good...

*snicker!*

Hahaha that's exactly what I did!

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:47pm
post #90 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking_Booth

If it weren't for cake wrecks I wouldn't have ever thought to scope out the bakery section at Wally World. Now I'm addicted! I always stop and look at the bakery at every grocery store I go to.

Here's two of my recent favs from Wal-Mart.

What the hell is that cupcake thing supposed to be?!! LMFAO!
These belong on Cake Wrecks, seriously.

This is the one I spied at Wal-Mart yesterday....I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but do these "ballons" not remind you of nips with tassles?
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%