Photo Booth

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 21 Jul 2009 , 3:00am by Unlimited

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 46

Ok, so I have been trying to find the best way to take photos of my cakes. Here is what I came up with I bought a trifold posterboard, some Velcro, and fabric. I attached the fabric to the board and fabric and now I have a fold-up photo booth! I can put it in the kitchen or in our tasting area (depending on the best light) and then just fold it up and put it between the desk and the wall. Just thought Id share.
LL
LL
LL

45 replies
dettdunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dettdunn Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 46

Great idea! I now know what I will do rather than getting out a table cloth, draping it over chairs high enough so my kitchen won't be seen, etc. Thanks so much!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 46

I agree! That's a great idea! I'm always safety pinning the fabric to things or pinning the fabric to the wall. Thanks for sharing!

How many yards of fabric do you buy? Just curious!

jillmakescakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 46

I bought two yards so that I had enough to "scrunch" it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 46

I use the trifold posterboard that I got at Michaels but I never though to use fabric. Great idea, thanks for sharing

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 46

Fabulous idea, no more kitchen chairs in the pictures! Thanks for sharing, my portfolio just got a little more classy looking.

cupcakebliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakebliss Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 46

Wow, that is a great idea! I love it. That is one of the problems I have, trying to find a good place to take pictures of cakes.

CC is awesome. So many people share and answer questions. I love how everybody pulls together to help each other out. It really is great.

cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I bought two yards so that I had enough to "scrunch" it.

Thanks! I've only been buying one yard and I've just been having trouble making everything fit. I just wasn't sure how much material, was too much material!

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 46

Thanks so much. Another one of my problems now fixed. CC is the best thing since sliced bread!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:43pm
post #10 of 46

I like this idea too. Do you have problems with the fabric wrinkling when you fold up the tri-fold?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 46

I find a nice med-dark blue makes a great background. Makes most cakes pop outicon_smile.gif

jillmakescakes Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 46

I haven't had it long enough for the fabric to wrinkle too badly, but I know that since I will be using it at LEAST every few days, it shouldn't wrinkle too badly. If it does, since it is just velcro'ed on there, you could take it off and iron it if you needed to.

I kinda like the wrinkles for the backdrop. I think it just adds to the "blousy" effect.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:11am
post #13 of 46

I'm for the more direct approach. Thumb-tacks..... in the wall. Done!

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #14 of 46

neat idea

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #15 of 46

what a good idea! thanks for sharing

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #16 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkyo

I'm for the more direct approach. Thumb-tacks..... in the wall. Done!

lmao icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:20am
post #17 of 46

Wow! That's very similar to how I photograph my cakes!! Except I pin the material to a door and drape it over a stand which holds the cake. I do have a problem with shadowing sometimes but that's from my lighting situation. Cool idea though!! icon_biggrin.gif

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:24am
post #18 of 46

sweeet!!! thanks for sharing!!!

cylstrial Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #19 of 46

So I had another idea using the foam board. What do you think about putting a piece of wall paper on it? And then using it for your backdrop? I just keep looking at my Martha Stewart book, and I swear the background's are wallpaper. Anyway, I think it's worth a try. I'll let ya know how it goes. Although, it might be a while. LOL.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 46

This is so cool!!! I love it! DH will love the idea of not holding up tablecloths while I take "just one more pic, hon....really!" and his arms are about to fall off! LOL! icon_smile.gif

Maris307 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maris307 Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #21 of 46

WOW, this is great! Thanks.

Alaskahsm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alaskahsm Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:21pm
post #22 of 46

Perfect! And its material I already have.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #23 of 46

What a great idea! I never even thought of using a backdrop to photograph my cakes. I actually have a 40" photo cube that I used to use for selling items on ebay that would work out well. It has 4 or 5 different velvet fabrics (red, black, blue, white, green) that eliminate shadowing, glare, etc. & can be attached by velcro. I loved this thing because you can twist it up to fit into a small nylon bag and it's washable. Didn't cost me much at 29.99 on ebay (available in different sizes/prices), and was totally worth it. Not sure what size would be good for wedding size cakes but one of my 6 year olds can fit into this thing! If anyone wants a booth that doesn't require much storage space, here's what they look like HTH:
LL

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 4:57pm
post #24 of 46

The above pic reminds me of the kids toy storage containers or laundry hampers/bags that twist up too, although the ones I've seen are more of a mesh material than solid.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 11 Apr 2009 , 5:27pm
post #25 of 46

Yep, that's how the thing is constructed w/those type of wires, but the material works out really well for photographs and it pops up to a good sized tent. They do have nicer ones that are square and you can roll down the background colors, but I was too cheap to purchase them at 69.99. This one resulted in some really nice photos for the items I was selling so I didn't bother spending the xtra money.

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

This is so cool!!! I love it! DH will love the idea of not holding up tablecloths while I take "just one more pic, hon....really!" and his arms are about to fall off! LOL! icon_smile.gif

I'm howling reading this aloud to my DH, he hates cake photo time icon_smile.gif I think I'll have to get a poster board too. Thanks for the advice. I love this site!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:20am
post #27 of 46

Thank you so much for posting this!!!

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 3:40am
post #28 of 46

Great idea!! I have a problem with lighting. Where should the window be, or does anyone use some kind of household lights or lamps? Flash or no flash? White or dark background? My cakes always look much better in person, which makes me think it's just my photography. TIA

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:27am
post #29 of 46

We've been working on taking better photos here. DH is a woodturner and he is always posting stuff online and sells on etsy. We really don't know anything about photography and were getting really frustrated.

DH bought a photo tent and 2 lights on Ebay and it has helped a lot. We are still using a point and shoot but something better is on our 'want' list.

Here are 2 similar cakes one just taken by a window and the other in the photo tent with the lights. A big difference. Can't wait until we learn more and get a better camera.
LL
LL

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:45am
post #30 of 46

I found this home-made photo tent: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent

I wonder if it works well with cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%