Can I Put My Fondant Covered Soccer Ball Cake In The Fridge

Decorating By pemaanso Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm by pemaanso

pemaanso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pemaanso Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there

I'm a newby here - and to cake decorating in general - but I'm really hoping someone can advise me please.

I've just started my son's soccer ball cake, which I am doing as a whole ball, covered in fondant, and wrapped in a fondant scarf. I've prepared the 2 halves, and I was planning to put fresh cream in between them, but I've just realised that it could be a problem because fresh cream needs to be refridgerated, but I don't think the fondant should be. Can anyone advise me please?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 5

Hi! Welcome to our sweet little corner of the internet! icon_smile.gif
Yes you can frig iticon_smile.gif
The best way is to put the cake into a cake box then put that into a big plastic bag. OR into an air-tight container such as tubberwear.
When ready to work on it or display remove it from frig up to 4 hrs before. Keep it covered until just before serving.

pemaanso Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you so much, for your warm welcome and for your valuable advice. icon_smile.gif
I'm so relieved, as my son is a bit of a fussy eater, and isn't too keen on buttercream, (didn't even eat the chocolate mousse that I used in my daughter's castle cake, which everyone else loved) and was very excited about the idea of having fresh cream in this. I hadn't thought about the fridge problem until I was just about ready to do it, so it all came to a grinding halt.

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

ps - can I just clarify, though, if I take the finished cake out of the fridge, about 1.5 - 2 hrs before serving, is that OK, or does it need to be closer to 4hrs? I'm just worried about the cream going off, if it's out for too long.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 5

........ can I just clarify, though, if I take the finished cake out of the fridge, about 1.5 - 2 hrs before serving, is that OK........

Yes, 4 hours is the most the cake should sit out unfrig'd.

pemaanso Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 5

OK, that's great. Thanks very much. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%