Pastry Pride Smoothing Question

Decorating By flowermom Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 6:40am by flowermom

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 6

Hi CCer's,

I have a last minute request to help with a wedding cake. The person who was going to do the cake decorating had a family emergency and I am stepping in to do the frosting and decorating. However I have never used Pastry Pride Frosting, only SugarShack's crusting buttercream, and her method to smooth it. What is the best way to smooth PP Frosting and can you get it to crust? It's also going to be a square cake so I am not all that sure how smooth I can get it since I have only done round, oval and heart shaped cakes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Sandi

5 replies
sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:39am
post #2 of 6

Pastry Pride won't crust. I think I've heard that it can be frosted with a hot spatula. You'd have to use whatever method you would use for a noncrusting icing. Here's a bump so hopefully someone can answer you better than I could.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Sandy;
SS's method of smoothing b'cream can be used on PP.
As the other said, it will never crust. Also it does not take color well. Only the lightest of pastel color can be achieved.
The biggest difference w/sqs are the corners, of course. Put a spatula on one side @ the corner (it might be helpful if someone else holds the spatula at the corner for you) and smooth the other side right on past that corner w/the spatula.
There is a video showing this on YouTube but I don't know the link to it, sorry icon_sad.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 6

sorry I have to contradict Kakeladi as far as color is concerned. I have found that Pastry Pride takes color really easily. I have gone way beyond my hoped for color because I was not expecting it to take so much color.
As far as smoothing it goes, I just want to say good luck. I have a horrible time with the stuff. It is sooo NOT my fav to work with, and I only ever use if for one friend that I still haven't been able to convert to a BC person.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 6

If you have a horrible time smoothing it you might has whipped it too much. There is a very fine line as to 'just right' and overwhipped ;(

Maybe it has changed as far as taking color - or the new gels work better but when I was using it I could hardly get past pastel anything icon_smile.gif

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:40am
post #6 of 6

I am finally getting to my computer, long day. Had to buy the pans to use, all the ingredients, etc. Thankfully the person I am working with is being a great help! The cake will be white, but I do have to color the dots that will be going on the cake. Thanks for your help, we will see how it goes on Friday when I frost the cake!

Happy Baking! Sandi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%