How Do You Do Your Monograms On A Cake.....

Decorating By Tracyj Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm by tonedna

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 11

I see so many perfectly executed monograms written in cake. How do you do that? I have the molds for fondant but I don't like using them. They are a pain. I realy like the ones that are written on the cake. They are so much more elegant looking. How is that done?

10 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 11

I do mine on a gumpaste plaque. Look in my pics for the monogram. I give some instructions further down in the comments. If this is something you were referring to, it should help!

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 11

Oh....I didn't read your whole post. Well, it is what works for me. If you make it the same color as your cake, and small enough, and roll it think enough, it would not be noticeable. You can get pretty perfect results this way, I have found.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 11

I'm sure mine are not some of those great ones you looked at, icon_lol.gif , but I do them right on the side of the cake with BC.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 11

Indydeb, if I could pipe on the side of a cake worth a darn, and not look like a kid scrawled on it...I would! Lol....I can't write sideways with my arm suspended in the air, and am JEALOUS of those that can! icon_biggrin.gif

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 11

Of course yours were some of the cakes I looked at indydebi, they are beautiful!

But I'm in the same boat as Jaime, can't pipe worth a rippin' flip on the side of a cake! I need something to trace!

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 11

Use your clay gun, make "worms" of fondant, and form them into the letters on the cake. You can also print the "monogram" off on your printer and use the pin prick method to transfer it to the cake.

HTH,
Pat B.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 11

I forgot about this one....I actually made my plaque from this design!

http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2009/02/wedding-monogram.html

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #9 of 11

You can also use the FBCT method with the lettering.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 11

Hopefully this is what you are talking about but you can print the fonts you like then trace it on wax paper with either chocolate or royal icing then pearl dust on it and glue with RI or piping gel or directly on to buttercream.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 11

I hate doing monograms..depending on the budget, some are piped some are in fondant and some are stencils.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%