Sheet Cake Sizes

Decorating By cathyw6560 Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm by cathyw6560

cathyw6560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyw6560 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 5

Not sure if this is the right forum for this or not but anyway...I was wondering what is the size of a full sheet cake? Also, what is the best brand name sheet cake pans?

Thanks,
Cathy

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 5

I love the Magic Line pans. There is a brand called Fat Daddios....I've never used them but many on here have.

I would recommend you avoid using the terms "half" and "Full" sheet cake. Cake civilians have no idea how much cake that is and there are stories and stories on here about customers who ordered a "quarter" sheet and then were all upset because the "quarter sheet" they got was too small.

I had one guy ask me for pricing on a "full" sheet cake. WHen I asked "how many people do you need to feed?" he told me TEN! I asked him, "So why do you need pricing for a cake to feed 100?" icon_eek.gif

Avoid the terms ... ask them how many people they need to feed, then figure out the size of cake they need.

But in general .....

18x24 = full sheet. Serves approx 100
18x12 = half sheet. Serves approx 50
11x15 = not sure ... some call it a 1/3-sheet. Serves approx 35
9x 13 = quarter sheet. serves approx 24.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 5

There are many, many threads addressing this issue already but......
I am not good w/the search featureicon_sad.gif I wish I could point you to them.....

Just match the pan size to the size of cake board & box being sold as a 1/4; 1/2 or ful sheet. That would be......
1/4: 12x8x2 (serves 15-20)
1/2: 12x16x2 (serves 45-4icon_cool.gif
full: 2 12x16 places side-by-side (serves 90-96)

Do NOT worry about it - do NOT ask/listen to customer asking for a "1/4" sheet but ask how many servings they need . I've had people ask for a 'full sheet' when all they needed to serve were 15-20 people. The public does not understand/know our terms.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 5

I think your going to get different answers depending on whose responding. Home bakers (like me) have normal ovens so we can't use the large sheet pans. I end up putting 2 9x12 cakes together for a 1/2sheet.

I think indydebi is pretty accurate with the sizes.

As for cake pans.....I think thats an individual preference. What works for me & what I like might not work for you..... I like Wilton's, put I haven't tried other pans. Thinking about looking into Fat Daddios, not sure if they are available in Canada....shipping & duty is a pain in the butt!!

Quote:
Quote:

had one guy ask me for pricing on a "full" sheet cake. WHen I asked "how many people do you need to feed?" he told me TEN! I asked him, "So why do you need pricing for a cake to feed 100?"

cause their lopping off hugh pieces and have no idea how to cut a cake properly!!! No wonder 1/2 the nation is overweight!!!

cathyw6560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyw6560 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 5

Hey guys. Thanks very much!!

Indydebi - thanks for the measurements and the brand names for pans. I live in Newfoundland Canada so I'll see where I can get them here.

Kakeladi - I'm not a good searcher either and couldn't find anything else on sheet pans!!

Cakes22 - thanks for the advice as well - I hear what you're saying about ordering from Canada - pain in the you know what icon_smile.gif

Thanks again everyone!

Cathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%